Hadrian's Wall 2013

One for wall, and wall for one...

21 to 40 of 1,449 messages
01/11/2012 at 13:03

Thanks for recharging info. The Duracell one sounds like it might be the best.

Amster - count me in. Just drop me a line when you've fixed the date and if I'm free that day I'll join you. Hadn't thought about running the full route before but you've got me thinking now. What's the terrain like between Carlisle and Lanercost? - the Hadrian's Wall walking trail goes a bit further south. I'll maybe try and get over and do that section before Christmas. If anyone fancies tagging along, give me a shout.

01/11/2012 at 20:27

Hi when you first run out of carlise its road and pavements until Crosby on Eden then it becomes footpaths and grassland.  The Hadrains wall path.  I know i said it will be after Christmas before doing the next recci but we may do this section again  before Christmas so let me know when you are going.Think my hubby needs the extra training.

03/11/2012 at 18:31

I'm looking at maybe Saturday, November 17. I'll probably drive to Lanercost, then get a bus into Carlisle and run back. By the time I've driven over and whatnot, it'll be late morning or noonish when I set off from Carlisle.

04/11/2012 at 16:33

We could go the Saturday after , as i arrive back from holiday on the 17th.

05/11/2012 at 20:55

Amster, Amster's hubby and I have fixed up to do a recce run on the Carlisle to Lanercost section on Saturday, December 1 if anyone fancies coming along.

We're planning to meet at Lanercost at 11am, then we'll drive to Carlisle, leave the other car and get a lift back to pick it up at the end.

Just leave a message if you'd like to join us.

13/11/2012 at 15:26

Hello stumbled amongst this thread hope training is going well for you all if you don't mind me lurking here. I'm interested, hope to do it one year probably not least to 2014 depends how next years training goes but its on my bucket list

15/11/2012 at 00:42
I've just signed up for the Bungay Marathon in April, which will be my longest race to date. Think I'll run-walk-run in full wall kit.

Anyone else run-walk-run?
15/11/2012 at 09:20

Hi all - just found this thread as I searched for it

I'm entered as part of a pair for the 2 days. We're both first timers above marathon distance too and planning to walk / run it and most all just enjoy it!

What training plans will everyone be following?  I'm following the runner's world "ultimate" ultra plan - unfortunately the link now seems broken but if anyone wants a copy (luckily I printed it out) I'll type it up again.

At the moment I'm in a bit of a holding pattern and then I'll start building up to where the plan begins (4 March) after Christmas.

Excited already!

15/11/2012 at 10:04

Hi Pammie - what else is on your bucket list? I've heard of a race in Utah where the runners all set off in the evening at whatever time they like. The winner's the person who crosses the line closest to midnight. Catch is, you can't wear a watch. I fancy giving that a go some day. There's a few other daft ones like that on my bucket/lottery win list.

Hi Sleepy Bear - Two days and first ultra for me too. You've got me worried now. I've just come up with my own training plan, starting mid December with long slow runs of 13 miles, adding a mile a week till the end of April, then splitting it over two days, so I do 20 miles one day and 10 the next. Longest would be 26 one day and 15 the next at the end of May. I maybe need to check out some proper plans as I haven't got much of a clue when it comes to plans. Or much of a clue when it comes to anything really. My plan probably starts earlier than many as I've got Paris marathon in early April.

Marcus - Where's the Bungay marathon? My first marathon I'd planned to walk-run, but just got carried away by the atmosphere and ran all the way. I'm hoping to be able to run 90 per cent of Hadrian's Wall, saving the walking for the hilly bits, although I've read something that said if you're run-walking, you need to do it from the start rather than running till you're tired and then run-walking.

After we do the recce on Dec 1 I'll stick a post up with a description of the terrain and route and hills and whatnot for anyone who's down south. I'll do it for the other sections as and when we get through them.

15/11/2012 at 14:21

Don't be worried Weedy as long as you have a progressive plan that's all that matters - it doesn't matter which plan.  I just want to be fit enough to enjoy it as well as complete it!

Looking forward to the recce report - any chance of you smuggling a digital camera in your rucksac?  Cheeky I know - but worth an ask

15/11/2012 at 14:55

Weedy - TheBungay Marathon Entry 2013 is on the Norfolk/Suffolk border only 5 miles from my home. It has a few hills, and is two laps so might stop for a maassage after the first lap! lol!

And yes I'm working on running 25 mins, walking 5mins off the bat! Tried my first run/walk/run last weekend and quite enjoyed it.

Ditto Sleepy Bear on the recce report! Have fun!

16/11/2012 at 12:45

I really like the idea of this but I'm doing my first ultra at the Dartmoor Discovery on June 1st so it would be mad to go for twice the distance only 3 weeks later. I'm also thinking about the Royal Parks ultra in October but I'd better leave The Wall until the year after.

16/11/2012 at 13:19
Hi invisible man .. Was going to do the royal parks ultra this year but raising ??750 put me off but looks like a good run.
16/11/2012 at 14:15

Looking back, there doesn't seem to be many taking the one day option, is there anybody else doing it?

16/11/2012 at 14:32

Sleepy Bear, Marcus - good idea about the camera, hadn't thought of that. I'll give it a go with the one on my phone. As long as it's not raining on the day.

EKGO - I've found a mapmyrun version of the route. Not sure how much it'll change this year. Not much I guess. Go to

http://www.mapmyrun.com/workout/120746581

Invisible Man - you could enter this and treat the Dartmoor Discovery as your last long run before your taper. 

Speaking of tapers, I've accidentally entered the Great North Swim the weekend before the Hadrian's Wall run - oops.

Blakester - you doing one day or two?

16/11/2012 at 14:40
Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

Sleepy Bear, Marcus - good idea about the camera, hadn't thought of that. I'll give it a go with the one on my phone. As long as it's not raining on the day.

EKGO - I've found a mapmyrun version of the route. Not sure how much it'll change this year. Not much I guess. Go to

http://www.mapmyrun.com/workout/120746581

Invisible Man - you could enter this and treat the Dartmoor Discovery as your last long run before your taper. 

Speaking of tapers, I've accidentally entered the Great North Swim the weekend before the Hadrian's Wall run - oops.

Blakester - you doing one day or two?

I wouldn't worry about the swim too much. A few of us have signed up to the RatRace 'Dirty Weekend' 20mi obsticle race mid-may!

Edited: 16/11/2012 at 14:40
16/11/2012 at 15:42
Hi weedy .... Doing it in one day this time .. Looking forward to it...
16/11/2012 at 16:33

Just googled the Dirty Weekend. It sounds nuts!

Blakester - you do the two-dayer this year - any tips for us novices?

I'll start a list...

One day
Amster and Mr Amster
Blakester
EKGO

Two days
Marcus Nichols +2
Pursued by Angry Bees
Sleepy Bear +1
Weedy

2014?
Invisible Man
Pammie

16/11/2012 at 16:41

Good list Weedy - I do like a list.  My partner is forum-named oscarr.

Tips - they'd be good - have already picked up the 2nd pair of trainers for the 2nd day one (just in case it's another wet weekend - have put them on my chrimble list...

Weedy - no pressure on the photos (obviously) but if you get chance that'd be fab - I can print one out then and keep it on the fridge to keep me motivated when it's all yakky outside!

Dirty Weekend - yowsers - I have enough trouble running with the odd stile/gate/squeezy through thingy - never mind all the obstacles - that's just hardcore in my world!

16/11/2012 at 19:32
Only list I like is to Santa .... The first day take it easy and stick to your race plan.the first 15 is on road & lanes good food at pit stops stock up the next 17 miles is the wall and a great run just don't go to mad. it was very very wet this year .. The camp site was ok bit didn't sleep the food wasn't to good take your own breaky,as in morning you got a burger van selling bacon rolls not the best to run 37 miles on.. We all went off together second day which was a buzz then my plan went out the window teamed up with another runner which I was going far to fast which made the last 17 mils hard ....just enjoy it ..
21 to 40 of 1,449 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.