Hadrian's Wall 2013

One for wall, and wall for one...

381 to 400 of 1,448 messages
23/02/2013 at 12:05

Have fun everyone

23/02/2013 at 16:05

Afternoon, late at joining in here... I am down to do the one day event and it will be my first Ultra.

23/02/2013 at 16:36

Hey Steve - better late than never   Welcome aboard - it's really worth going back to the beginning and reading the thread if you haven't done so already - there is some awesome info between our banterings! Plus there are photos of what we're letting ourselves in for.... personally I can't wait - 17 weeks to go folks

23/02/2013 at 18:04

Hi Steve - all the cool kids turn up late to parties. What made you decide to enter?

Didn't get across to look at the Vindolanda to Hexham section today. Was snowing fairly steadily when I woke up, so I let out a long stream of naughty words and went to the gym instead. I'll probably try again on Friday if anyone fancies joining.

17 weeks? Eek

One day
Alasdair Fowler, Alick, Amster and Mr Amster, Benjamin Kissel, Blakester, Checkmate, EKGO, Gramck +1, Ian78, John MacKenzie, Keith Jones +1, Magnus McGillivray, Mr X, Paulkrunner, Richard Langton, Rockhopper Penguin. Steve Orton, The Foon+3. Tim Lister.

Two days
Craney, Crash Bang Wallop, Edinburghemma +Ashley. Flatfoot+1, Louise Hall, Marcus Nichols +2, Oscarr, Pinkbug, Pursued by Angry Bees +1, RunningRaRa, Sleepy Bear, Weedy.

23/02/2013 at 21:08
Did 10 mile hilly on fri, parkrun today and have just mapped a 15 for tomorrow. Fingers crossed it's not too freezing! Going to run out and get husband to collect me 15 miles from home...which incidentally is an astoundingly long way when you see where you end up!
24/02/2013 at 09:50

You're not wrong RaRa - planning longer routes is becoming increasingly complicated - ran round most the moain roads in the borough the other day.

Still, moving house in March, instead of 3 miles from work, I'll now be 19 miles from work. Funny how running can make things seem like an advantage, eh? Reckon I can get a lift in and run back a day or two each week - the last three or four miles are up constant steep hills, hurrah!

24/02/2013 at 14:45
Born to run was cold but as last year great fun and very well run, I was quite a bit slower than last year but went out with the intention of being able to recover well an that worked feel really god today
24/02/2013 at 15:38

Hi,

I have a team entry to the Wallrun 2013 (one day) which I would like to sell. I have recently acquired a stress fracture in my ankle and so would be unable to run it.

It has a face value of £280 but I am willing to take £200, and for this you will receive 2 entries into the race.

Paul

25/02/2013 at 10:27
Born to run went well . Had good run blow up about 37 but still finished in a good time legs ok back bit sore . Very good run may go back next year .start training now for the wall . The grizzly next for me 2 weeks time. Born to run 6hrs 24..
25/02/2013 at 10:35

I am running The Wall this year but want to ask anyone about a place to stay at the half way spot. I dont fancy taking a tent and I have heard of a youth hostel and a pub with rooms to let not too far away.

Is it within walking (hobbling) distance at all please?

25/02/2013 at 10:39

That's great blakester and EKGO. And sensibly run too. I'm jealous. I've managed to hurt my hip, my knee feels funny and my chest is full of nasties. Popping vits like there's no tomorrow. Spirulina shake anyone?

25/02/2013 at 10:58

Hi Chris. The Twice Brewed pub's about 1km from Vindolanda http://www.twicebrewedinn.co.uk/home.html Me, Sleepy Bear and Oscar have booked in there, maybe a few others as well. Not all the rooms are en-suite tho, so I'd get sorted quick. There might be a few farm B&B's in hobbling distance if you hunt about.

Great going EKGO and Blakester.

Emma - just googled spirulina shake - looks yack. Hope the hip and knee are just a minor niggle.

One day
Alasdair Fowler, Alick, Amster and Mr Amster, Benjamin Kissel, Blakester, Checkmate, EKGO, Gramck +1, Ian78, John MacKenzie, Keith Jones +1, Magnus McGillivray, Mr X, Paulkrunner, Richard Langton, Rockhopper Penguin. Steve Orton, The Foon+3. Tim Lister.

Two days
Chris Kiteman, Craney, Crash Bang Wallop, Edinburghemma +Ashley. Flatfoot+1, Louise Hall, Marcus Nichols +2, Oscarr, Pinkbug, Pursued by Angry Bees +1, RunningRaRa, Sleepy Bear, Weedy.

25/02/2013 at 16:09

Hi all,

Been reading the forum for a while now and finally signed up for the 2day event, 1st time at this distance but have run a couple of marathons, mixture of excitment and fear still at this stage.

What do people think about trainers for the course I usually run in Asics 1170 but am wondering if I'll need to look into Trail shoes.

25/02/2013 at 16:46

Weather dependent, if it's dry it'll be gel kayano for me all the way, second half in particular has a lot of track and tarmac

25/02/2013 at 18:08
I completed Born to Run at the weekend. Made a real bad decision to try gels instead of proper food. @ 12 miles I took my first gel by mile 14 I had nothing left to give. Had a lovely flap jack at the aid station and a banana which got my legs moving again but I was beat. It was only my stubborn nature that got me to the end. Lesson learnt, only eat proper food and leave the gels to the marathon runners! Role on tomorrow, starting a 100mile training plan
25/02/2013 at 18:40
Weedy! Chris! I am so happy to hear you are bottling out of the whole camping business. I am too but was keeping it secret in case all you tough ultra runners thought I was soft! Hate camping and figured the second days run may be more achievable on a proper nights sleep, a bath and proper food.

Will sort it out sooner rather than later now I've realised there are other wusses vying for rooms...
25/02/2013 at 19:53
Entered for the 100km one day event. It will be my first Ultra and 2 months after my first official marathon in Manchester which I guess i am going to use as a bit of a training run for the Wall.

The more I read the less certain I become but I am excited to face this challenge and hopefully will be lining up on race day feeling as prepared as possible for the 100k to come.

My biggest concern is regarding what running shoes would best suit the course? Does anyone with prior experience to the Wall or a similar event have any advice? If so - thank you!
25/02/2013 at 20:41
Hi runningRaRa .. I camped last year didn't sleep a wink left the tent up so if anyone else fancy camping there should be a dom
e tent still there ha ha .
Hi john I used gels on the BTR every 5 miles was my plan stopped taking them after 25 miles I was buzzing at that stage but hit the wall about 36 37 by then it was to late .the flapjacks was good .had a great time
25/02/2013 at 20:52
Can you run and eat flapjacks? I gag on a jelly baby! Sense another running/eating experiment coming on...good job they are my two favourite things to do.
25/02/2013 at 21:53

Hi Spireite John and Christian - I'm just planning to use my road shoes.

John Mc - well done on Born to Run, feels like everyone's been doing it.

RaRa - I figured I need a decent night's sleep as well. Sounds like there'll be a few of us in the pub. I feel a dinner reservation might be called for...

One day
Alasdair Fowler, Alick, Amster and Mr Amster, Benjamin Kissel, Blakester, Checkmate, Christian Fell, EKGO, Gramck +1, Ian78, John MacKenzie, Keith Jones +1, Magnus McGillivray, Mr X, Paulkrunner, Richard Langton, Rockhopper Penguin. Steve Orton, The Foon+3. Tim Lister.

Two days
Chris Kiteman, Craney, Crash Bang Wallop, Edinburghemma +Ashley. Flatfoot+1, Louise Hall, Marcus Nichols +2, Oscarr, Pinkbug, Pursued by Angry Bees +1, RunningRaRa, Sleepy Bear, Spireite John, Weedy.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.