Hadrian's Wall 2013

One for wall, and wall for one...

81 to 100 of 1,448 messages
21/11/2012 at 18:52
Checkmate-wow! Seriously impressed.
21/11/2012 at 19:51

Checkmate - ditto from me. How'd you end up doing 12 in 7?

One day
Amster and Mr Amster
Benjamin Kissel
Blakester
Checkmate
EKGO
John MacKenzie

Two days
Marcus Nichols +2
Oscarr
Pursued by Angry Bees
RunningRaRa
Sleepy Bear
Weedy

2014?
Invisible Man
Pammie

21/11/2012 at 22:15

I tought if I start training and get fit for the first one I should not lose my fitness so entered a few more. I was quite disappointed with my result in London, but in the same time I enjoyed it, so I wanted to do better. There are many guys doing 12 in a year so I thought I will do the same. But I started a bit late (28th april) and I was afraid of the winter so I wanted Snowdonia to be the last one. But I have missed the Fairlands50 (I was not ready for that) and nearly all june-july, so I had to do 4 in september and take one extra the "A20" last weekend. Next year I try to do a bit more and spread them a bit better.

22/11/2012 at 00:04
Hi guys,

After completing a couple of marathons this year, I fancied doing something different next year... and spotted this in the latest RW mag. Always wanted to do an ultra so now might be a good time of any to step up.

Just now need to convince the missus. I work away from home during the week so weekends are primetime for doing things with the wife and little one. Although I can get a fair amount of training done in the week, it's trying to squeeze in this long runs at the weekend is normally the problem.

So at the minute I'm a maybe for the 1-dayer.

I shall keep popping back into to see how you are all going.... happy running.
22/11/2012 at 06:36

Gramck - They could come with and support?

Just think, all that quality country air and stuff... could even be educational.

22/11/2012 at 08:11

Wowsers - you lot are amazing - I'm still getting my head around this multiple marathons a year lark so it's great to hear all your tales! 

Gramck - know what you mean - would they be willing to go out with you - on bike (+trailer for littley if still very littley) - make it into family adventure time?  My other half is coming along to support for the weekend (he doesn't do long or slow!) so she wouldn't be the only partner there. 

22/11/2012 at 10:48
pursuedbyangrybees wrote (see)

Gramck - They could come with and support?

Just think, all that quality country air and stuff... could even be educational.

Think of it like Roman history and PE lessons rolled into one

22/11/2012 at 10:55
My wife and little one (4yo) will support me but it's not really their bag to be dragged out for a few hours at the weekend whilst I'm running. Which is fine and I don't mind.

I just need to be mindful of when I do my training so that it doesn't eat too much into the weekend. This may mean going and doing long runs at 5/6am to get done early and not impact on the rest of the day. Probably wouldn't be a problem if I wasn't working away during the week.

I'm sure it will be fine.
24/11/2012 at 00:03
I'm doing the wall over 2 days with some friends from the gym. It will be my first ultra run. Can anyone help with what kind of/ size hydration pack/bag I need to carry all my kit? Thanks
24/11/2012 at 07:21

Iam also doing the wall over 2 days, Portsmouth and Gloucester marathon then Born to run ultra!!

24/11/2012 at 07:55
I was hoping to do Portsmouth but can't now, but also doing Gloucester and Born to Run
24/11/2012 at 08:13

Anyone want to take a punt at what proprortion of the field Weedy is going to end up listing by the time we get to June?

Good work Weedy, and nice to see the list building - I'll have to think of some way to be easy to notice in the crowd when we arrive - "man runs with live chicken on head" was the first thing that popped in there, but not sure if that will fit the kit list for headwear...?

24/11/2012 at 09:28
Rw name on back pack would work
24/11/2012 at 10:05

Just back off holiday and great to see so many people that are doing the run.  Looking forward to the recci next weekend.  I need to start looking at my training and finding a nice marathon in the build up to the race in June,  

24/11/2012 at 10:32

Hi Louise and Pinkbug

Louise - someone who did the run last year might correct me, but I'd guess you won't need a massive hydration bladder. I use a Camelbak Ultra, which has a two-litre bladder, which I think will be more than plenty as the pit stops are only about 15 miles apart. I might not even fill it all the way up depending what the weather's like on the day. I think it's going to be a squeeze fitting everything in my pack that's on the checklist, but reckon it's doable.

Bees - the list's going to be enormous if it keeps growing at this rate. The Rat Race lot do seem to be heavily promoting the run - you can't move for adverts about it. I don't remember as much promotion last year. Maybe they treated last year as a test event and didn't want too many people entering. It would mean they're confident they've ironed out the few wrinkles I've heard about like the burger van breakfast and shoddy medals.

Names on packs sounds like a plan. Altho no one's going to see mine as I'll be bringing up the rear  I was thinking maybe we could arrange a meal in Carlisle the night before for anyone who fancies it. And/or drinks in Newcastle on the Sunday night as well for any of us hanging around afterwards.

One day
Amster and Mr Amster
Benjamin Kissel
Blakester
Checkmate
EKGO
John MacKenzie

Two days
Louise Hall
Marcus Nichols +2
Oscarr
Pinkbug
Pursued by Angry Bees
RunningRaRa
Sleepy Bear
Weedy

Edited: 24/11/2012 at 10:36
24/11/2012 at 10:56
I took the smallest bladder I could get away with, maybe just on 1 litre, looking at the support en route it was enough, there was a stop available every so many miles probably the longest gap was 15 (stand to be corrected) food was ready and really other than carting lots of weather gear, lamps and other stuff I would go for the smallest pack you can cram.

Carlisle meal would be good but they were short of decent eating places so if that's a goer it needs booking.
24/11/2012 at 22:19

Meal before and beer after sound grand.

I intend to pack the biggest bladder I can manage, less toilet stops that way.

In my usual way, thinking about the next thing afterwards - vague notion about running St Cuthbert's Way later 2013... spot on 100km Melrose to Lindisfarne, waymarked route.

24/11/2012 at 23:40
Never run with a hydration pack before....is it a pain/ how heavy?
25/11/2012 at 00:05

The bag was a right pain and weighed about 4-5kg depending on the water, plenty of Vaseline under the tee-shirt where the straps sit

25/11/2012 at 01:33
I use a 2 litre camalback and don't suffer any chaffing issues. When i have to carry extra gear i have a salmon rucksack that has padded shoulder straps and a waste strap that has two handy pouches in. Never suffered any chaffing issues with that either. I always use Gore running tops and Nike Dry Fit shorts, never had to use any lube to prevent chaffing. It took a lot of trial and error to find the right products but it was worth it. I ran London to Brighton with no rubbing issues or blisters. I did have an argument with a barb wire fence and a bramble bushm which were my only injuries of the day.
81 to 100 of 1,448 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.