Hadrian's Wall 2013

One for wall, and wall for one...

161 to 180 of 1,449 messages
09/12/2012 at 19:31

It's really difficult to make an estimate, I aimed for 17 hours last year and did 20, I had previously done a 37 miler in 6:42 as part of my build up, I went on to do another 38 miler the month before the Wall so felt OK at that distance. I would say finishing has to be the main aim. Doing 38 miles (even twice) was not adequate preparation for 70, what happened over the last 20 was just sheer hard work for me. Others seemed to find it much easier than I did though so until you're there at mile 45 you'll not really know, just be ready to dig deep.

09/12/2012 at 22:31
First stab at trail running today didn't go as planned. Missed the trail I needed. Could see where I needed to be but to get there I had to climb a barbed wire fence, get through a calf deep brown bog, over a river, ( which I could hear but not see under the reeds!) scale a few dry stone walls and push through some prickly bushes! I knew I was in the wild when I startled a deer!

Bit hairy but good fun...think bit more prep...and a map next time?
10/12/2012 at 00:36

RaRa - people pay Rat Race good money to do runs like that! You should set up an adventure race company, could make a fortune. Deer spotting too, sounds pretty awesome. Rabbits is about all I startle. Altho once while on a run I stumbled across a couple doing things to each other that are best just left to the imagination.

10/12/2012 at 06:19
Haha weedy! By that I presume you mean team work getting a leg over turnstiles and a bit of navigation practice with the compass?
10/12/2012 at 10:58

Hehe, they were going at threshold pace I'd say.

10/12/2012 at 13:30
Did you pick any tips up weedy ? ?
10/12/2012 at 16:07

Blakester - I'd say pacing's crucial. From a cursory glance, it looked like he'd set off too quickly. He'll have struggled in the latter stages I'd imagine.

11/12/2012 at 16:03

Weedy the race report and pics were really good. 

Blakester your pics were also great thanks, ohh that hill , i don't mind going up the hills its the getting down .

Weedy great idea on getting a list together to recci the second section, count myself and Mr Amster in.

12/12/2012 at 11:34

Cheers Amster

I'm free Saturday, January 26, for Lanercost to Vindolanda section if that's any use

12/12/2012 at 18:26

Weedy thats sounds good, same again with cars if thats alright,

12/12/2012 at 21:09
Would love to join you but bit far from bristol . Its a lovely run you will enjoy it .how's the training weedy ?
12/12/2012 at 21:15

So jealous.... but a bit far for me too

12/12/2012 at 21:21

Sounds good Amster. Meet at Vindolanda at 11am?

Be great if anyone else was free to join us.

Blakester - training's a bit stop-start at the minute. Been having bother with ITB. Got 40 minutes of exercises and stretches to do four times a day. Running's been curtailed to 30 mins easy every couple of days. It's slowly getting better tho, so I can't grumble too much.

How's everyone else doing with training?

13/12/2012 at 15:34
Doing xc season at moment in Thames valley league then start Wall training in early spring.
13/12/2012 at 18:28

Blakester thanks looking forward to this section.

Weedy 11 am at Vindolanda sounds good thanks .

Glad everyones training is going ok

14/12/2012 at 07:48
Training going well again hope to run back from bath sat.then its Portsmouth coastal marathon on the 23rd .. Will start wall training after the born to run ultra in Feb.have good weekend and enjoy your running.....
14/12/2012 at 17:01

blakester  good luck with the marathon. I ran 12 miles today and it poured down all the way but , got drenched but i had a good run and really enjoyed it.

14/12/2012 at 17:07

Just starting to build mine up a bit - really enjoying the slowness of aerobic training - much more civilised I find - bring on the fat burning enzymes so that I may enjoy a rucksac full of cakes in June

Does anyone else do any biking as training?  I find it hard to keep my pulse down sometimes when running so I'm biking once or twice a week to take bearing my weight out of the equation...

14/12/2012 at 17:29
Might sound silly Amster but I get a buzz running in the cold and wet can't run on those machines...
15/12/2012 at 17:25

blakester I agree , there is nothing better than being outdoor running, I always stop at look when i see deer and other wildlife, and getting full of mud while running through fields etc, its much better than going on a treadmill.

Sleepy Bear rucksack full of cakes yummy, when i did Connemara Ultra I had jaffa cakes think I will be doing the same in June.

161 to 180 of 1,449 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.