Head torches

21 to 28 of 28 messages
01/11/2010 at 21:23
anybody any thoughts on silva trail runner plus (or maybe x trail) vs the petzl myo rxp? I have read a lot of reviews now - dilemma is I want good distance, good flooding & belt battery pack. The silva has allegedly the better flooding and belt battery, but the petzl has the brighter light and better distance. But it's all based on seperate reviews - anybody experience of both lamps?
08/11/2010 at 18:50
Just btw none of the led lenser range is regulated, including the H7, according to absence of mention on their website and comment on the candlepower forum.
24/11/2010 at 18:30

On the Likeys Beacons Ultra 45 last weekend, in the thick mist and dark, everyone I spoke to had serious problems with their head torches not being able to cope with the combined mist/dark.

I heard the comment frequently that all torches were almost useless (I don't consider this to be true, at least some light came through, but I know exactly what they meant..............)

One runner overtook me and had a hand torch in addition to her head torch, which seemed to provide a much more penetrating light into and through the mist.

Some beams are rather diffuse whereas others are sharper.

Does anyone have any views/experience on the issue of dealing with mist and dark combined, especially on rough tracks on high ground?

My MYO XP is frankly useless and I need a decent torch to run/walk in winter conditions. Any advice welcomed!

24/11/2010 at 18:36
I've had positive feelings with an led lenser t5 torch in these circumstances recently. It is less than 100g but gives a good beam. Importantly, the off-eye-axis beam gives better shadows than a head torch, and is more effective for offroad running even in fog or falling snow. Car fog lights are placed low on the same principle.
26/11/2010 at 01:00
Thanks Steve, that sounds a good piece of kit. I'll investigate availability locally.
26/11/2010 at 20:21
Steve, I have the XP as well but have now supplmented it with a hand torch and its excellant, takes out the "diving mask" effect you get with head torch and in mist/heavy beathing can turn off the head torch and use the hand torch. Been running in the Peak district on the moors over very rocky terrian and would recomend it. Do revert back to headtorch only when ground is less rocky. Using a Led Lenser P7, dont always use full power. Did have concerns that arm swing would light up the sky but this was unfounded
meface    pirate
26/11/2010 at 23:05

Mist is a real bugger for head torches. But it is also a bugger for car headlights. Car fog lights are located low down for a reason. Therefore even moving the head torch from the head to the waist (hand) will improve the situation.

It is made worse with a head torch as you are looking straight-down the beam and therefore if gives little shadow and in the case of mist a lot of reflection directly back at you.

With a none head torch you get better shadows and less reflection but I still prefer a head torch and if mist is an issue I hold it in my hand.

Ideal world is two torches, one in the head and one in the hand. Seems to work much better.

Meface

27/11/2010 at 19:59
I'm glad it's working out. I was out this evening in about -8 with a few flakes falling on the trails with a princeton tec apex on side lights (4 diodes) for allround flood and the led lenser t5 for pointing out rocks and frozen puddles. It's working out nicely. It has a short lanyard so if i do happen to stumble I can still use my hands. Yes, one of both is best!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 28 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.