Help and Advise

16 messages
07/10/2012 at 14:51

Hi everyone, I posted on the general forum about doing a 47 mile run around my area in under 12 hours. I am hoing to do this run before easter. I have had some experience of running/jogging but nothing major. I am raising money for a local school and really need help and advise on how I can achieve this and if I can how could I promote it. Any help and advise would be amazing. Thank you!

07/10/2012 at 14:58

There are plenty of people here who can advise you on a training plan, but first it would be useful to know exactly what running experience you have . 

In terms of promoting it, you need to put together a "just giving" site and spam the link to everybody you know. 

07/10/2012 at 15:01

Well, I have done running around my area but nothing massive. And when would I set up the Just Giving page?

07/10/2012 at 20:22
princessinrl wrote (see)

Well, I have done running around my area but nothing massive. And when would I set up the Just Giving page?

That doesn't really give us a clue to your running experience. How many miles a week?

If you have no experience maybe you should consider something shorter given your time scale. Why not do a spring marathon and build up to your bigger attempt.

07/10/2012 at 20:51

Would I be able to do te training if I did it in the summer of 2013?

07/10/2012 at 21:30

To be fair, this is a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' kind of question ... in the nicest possible way!!! What is the furthest you have ever run? Furthest you have ever walked? How did you feel afterwards? How much time do you have to train? There is no rule saying you have to have run such-and-such a distance before you try 'x' but it's good to know where you are starting from. I think if it was me I'd want to have had a go at something a bit 'meaty' before doing this - even if as part of the training?  Usually the focus is on building up the length of the long run as a start. But the more info you can give us the more people can help.  I'd imagine a beginner marathon programme might be a good start point perhaps? LDWA events are also a great way to get started too.

GKD
08/10/2012 at 16:31

Maybe it'd be easier if one of us just ran it for you?

GKD
WiB
08/10/2012 at 16:45
This is a wind up.
WiB
GKD
08/10/2012 at 17:08
No, seriously WiB, instead of people who post threads asking for advice never having posted on here before and them refusing to listen to the advice given, I'm happy to cut out the middle man and just run the bloody things myself. I reckon for the fast stuff you or Daz could be drafted in, there should be enough of us to cover the rest of it, what do you think?
GKD
WiB
08/10/2012 at 17:31
Deal. Cake as payment?!
WiB
08/10/2012 at 19:25

I wish they'd ask for adviCe rather than adviSe but now I'm getting picky I guess!!

08/10/2012 at 19:28
That bugs me too. Glad it's not just me.
WiB
08/10/2012 at 19:33

How would you go about advicing this person then?!

WiB
08/10/2012 at 19:38
Not sure I could to be honest. I'm sure many people have gone from nothing to 47 miles in just over 6 months but I prefer to go more in stages. Personally I wouldn't reccomend it but I'm sure there is someone who can help and advise.
08/10/2012 at 21:03

I did drop that comment in thinking 'OMG, how horrible am I', but with a background in editing, I just couldn't miss it, and there have been awful lot of postings recently with that confusion - drives me nuts!!! So now we've turned this thread into something about spelling

09/10/2012 at 11:51

cragchick. I agree with you - it bugged me as well! As for time scales, after my four-month enforced rest due to injury in 2011, it took me about 8.5 months to get from 20 mins three times a week to my first 50K and it was nearly six months after that when I ran my first 50M (with training for and recovery from a marathon in between). I wouldn't have wanted to increase my mileage towards the 50 K much faster than I did.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
16 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.