Highland Fling

201 to 220 of 513 messages
29/03/2009 at 14:28
Mountain rescue are on alert, Take the left turn Karen, No the other left.  
29/03/2009 at 18:46
LOL, yup 16 miler from drymen to balmaha and back kinda expanded to a 22 miler!! I do like an adventure and sliding down conic hill on my back was so much fun. Walkers got a laugh too.
30/03/2009 at 09:09

Really envious of you lot with the WHW on your doorstep. I've walked it once with my daughter, and jogged/walked it over 3 days solo carrying my kit.

Didn't particularly enjoy the first few miles, or the bits where you were close to the A82.

Doing it solo at the end of day 2 arriving in Kinlochleven (kit in a Karrimor 35l rucsac) in trail shoes, t-shirt and a kilt (the run was for charity and somebody offered twice as much if I wore a kilt) I was told by a bloke with a huge rucsac, serious set of clothing, gaiters etc. that I wouldn't get far dressed like that and I neeed some proper equipment and clothing. Should have seen his face when I told him I'd left Glasgow the day before.

30/03/2009 at 09:40
LOL, good one Mak's friend. Milngavie about an hour from me for the start so not too close to my doorstep but i don't mind travelling up and down to the different sections for training runs. We got some funny comments yesterday running along. Oddly enough cause i got us lost the same guy commented he'd seen us 3 times. Oops.
30/03/2009 at 09:46
Yeah, walkers are a bit strange about runners on occasion. I do the odd LDWA event as a training run and sometimes you come up on a bunch (or is it a herd?) of walkers who started earlier and they seem most reluctant to move out of the way and let you through.
30/03/2009 at 19:17
Walkers are going to get a huge fright when the fling on then Mak. over 300 runeers this year and that's not including relay teams. We got some odd looks and comments on ben nevis few weeks back. One walker was a bit cheeky about our footwear. We had inov8's on and we were running not walking!! That LDWA website is cool, lots of good routes there.     
30/03/2009 at 19:36

I did Ben Nevis after doing the solo WHW. I went up really early in the morning and got to the top at about 7am. It snowed a bit just before I came down.  

Bit that got me though was the pair at the bottom when I got down, she was in a strappy summers dress and stiletto sandals , he in shorts, Man U top and sandals. They were carrying their shopping in a Safeway plastic bag and looked at me as if I was mad when I asked them if they knew it was snowing at the top.

30/03/2009 at 20:04

We were doing reps so didn't get to top as the snow was knee deep in parts and the object of the game was to get up n downs. Did a night time one to half way point and the path vanished at the lake half way up. It was fab with headtorches on in the snow. There were loads of funny sights. Foreign family with kids in tow with those water ride polythene bag type things on heading up.

I just had a look at LDWA site again as not been on for a while, they've got the river ayr ways route and there's a race again September. I did half as a relay last year as i was still knackered after Devil but that was a brilliant social event, only about 20 runners in it's first year but we had a party at night. Got cateran route too which is fantastic.  

31/03/2009 at 17:42

bloody hell..you have the same name as mrs cd karen d!

agree about some walkers. i did one on saturday and as i was coming down the hill some were coming up and we 'met' at the stile. me and my pooch and about 6 of them...i gave way but expected after say 2-3 that they would have then done so but oh no. apart from that others were great.

31/03/2009 at 20:05
I'm an old fart so i probably got the name first collie dave - ha!! Heehee, i thought the unofficial rule was those coming down got right of way or is that wishfull thinking?  
09/04/2009 at 16:59

Everyone rearing to go on this one?  Not sure that I am at the moment but  I will be by race day.  No information emails from organisers yet but I suppose there's plenty of time.

One or two logistical things to sort out and a few purchases to make and I'm ready.

09/04/2009 at 19:58
Sure am - did my last long run last weekend on the first section of the WHW and just wanted to keep on going.  Really looking forward to it now, just got to avoid any colds or injuries.  I'm off for a week in the Swiss Alps next week so hoping a few easy runs along the "bisse de vex" at 1300m altitude will be good tapering.
10/04/2009 at 19:13
Yeah raring to go (wee head cold going on mind you) and got 40 miler done last weekend. Enjoy the alps AliBJ, lucky you.
17/04/2009 at 20:26

Not long to go now.  Everyone OK?  This is a very quiet thread.

Plenty of time for banter on the day of course.

Did a fast and hard 16-miler today and just going to do a couple more short hill runs and that will be about it.  I shall be attempting to stay horizontal for as much of Thursday and Friday as possible.

18/04/2009 at 15:34

Yea looking forward to this now.

Did 30 on wednesday and then just club run thursday, 13 this morning with new shoes and new pack felt good.

Normal training this week but just go easy on the speed work. 

20/04/2009 at 13:15

well lads n lasses..the day beckons and everyone seems to be in good fettle.

ive been a bit shakey about doing it but have eventually decided to pitch up and have another go. im not the weight i want to be or should be and my knee is at sorts with itself. the latter i shall remedy before the day and the former is now officially an ongoing project.

lets hope the weather holds..be great to run in the sun

21/04/2009 at 23:06

Hi CD.  Glad you're still around. Yes, I'd like to run in the sun.

For my "extension" I thought I'd check the status of the moon.  Guess what, 25 Apr New Moon.  Not much help there, then.

Logistics all sorted out now.  Just working out what I want in what bag, where.

22/04/2009 at 08:57

I was thinking about not using drop bags or support of any kind and just running straight through,

Not decided yet if I do use drop bags I think a muller rice and a few slices of soreen cake and water will do.

Weather forecast is ok at the moment.

22/04/2009 at 09:37

t rex - your tent sounds very grand. look after it.

loon dod - i just checked weather too...looking good!

just bought a new pair of trebuckos for the day..wearing them in at work today.

hope im fit enough to finish

22/04/2009 at 20:59

I looked at Trebucos - didn't like10s (no support)  or, the latest, 11s (seams rubbed feet).  Wish I'd bought 9s in a sale earlier in the year.  Nice new pair of Adidas Supernova Riot arrived today in post.  Don't know how much wearing in they're going to have.  I'll be using those for my "second half".

Know what you mean, Loon Dod.  Stations seemed a bit chaotic last year.  I'm just leaving stuff at Beinglas (including 2L of water - I need to be sure).  I'll have any water that's on offer along the route but I won't be depending on it.  Didn't really like it last year when we all had to guzzle out of 2L bottles. 

Hope you enjoy your first Fling, BritNick, and anyone else lurking.  Absolute cracker of a race and huge numbers doing it this year.  There'll always be someone in view.  Mind you there might be quite a few DNSs.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.