Highland Fling

401 to 420 of 513 messages
02/04/2010 at 13:39

have a great time alibj

i do have a bus place and if im not there you're welcome to it..i'll let you know this week

have to decide on cateran also, though i have entered (ages ago)

02/04/2010 at 16:59

the cateran trail should be really good - it's a lovely part of the country.  I think there may well still be some snow around on the route by May though.  I'm hoping to survive the Fling so it sets me up well for the Cateran Trail. 

CD don't forget you have to rest sometime - I've been doing very light mileage but more intervals and hills, and am now running better than I was after regularly doing 50 miles a week.  I'll find out what effect it has had on my stamina in three weeks time...  last time I did a sustained period of back-to-backs I ended up with a chest infection for two months.  A 50 miler with a couple of easy weeks either side might be just the thing to break it up a bit.

03/04/2010 at 17:41

AliBJ - camping in Tyndrum.  Getting the train home Sunday lunchtime.  I would find getting on a bus and being dumped back at Milngavie the same night somehow anti-climactical. Might as well have a bit longer break, considering the distance and expense getting there (from S Wales).

If doing it fits in next year may run on to Fort William then.

Don't worry about milages - my average is always very low.

Quite understand, CD.  Perhaps another time and place in your neck of the woods.

Starting to look forward to this.  Got the small matter of Connemara ultra, Co. Galway next weekend first.  Hoping for a PB there.  One of my favourite road races.

03/04/2010 at 18:17
have fun over there t rex..grand part of the world so
06/04/2010 at 08:51

Sorry to hear you won't be doing this now CD - that is some amazing mileage!

Legs are now feeling a bit recovered from the coastal so I'm going to get my running shoes out tonight and head out for a jog to see how everything feels. All sorts of niggles I fear so I'm more than a little concerned about this little scottish adventure. Having to manage my friends expectations of me finishing!

06/04/2010 at 22:02

You'll love it, Birdypie.  A big field this year so there's always going to be people in view or to run with I'm sure.

Just booked my train tickets and campsites.  Starting to get organised.

07/04/2010 at 09:39
Hope so! The scenery should be amazing so hopefully that should keep me going. I'm thinking of doing a couple of hours on feet this weekend and then just resting up...but all a bit dependent on what the sports masseur reports tomorrow. Managed a gentle five miles last night - legs still not too happy!
07/04/2010 at 23:14
I don't suppose they would be.  That JCC event is monstrous - much harder than this. 
08/04/2010 at 05:15
you'll be fine birdypie..as always steady away..the cafe will be open all hours
08/04/2010 at 20:06

I suppose we'll all be getting some info at some point.  Haven't received anything yet.  It's my third time so I know reasonably what to expect.

Plenty of mud on the course, especially the early forest sections, apparently.  Would advise carrying around a couple of spare pairs of socks.

08/04/2010 at 21:12
Useful advice! thanks T Rex. Sports massage was a wee bit painful. Comment 'i've never seen you this broken' but seems to think I'll be better next week! Just as well hey!
15/04/2010 at 20:40

Connemara ultra went well on Sunday in unseasonal heat for west of Ireland in April.  Managed a course best which was encouraging and now really looking forward to this.  Final details emailed recently and everything seems straightforward.

Something to note is that there seems to be no water at Balmaha CP where you'd perhaps reasonably expect there to be some.  As usual I shall try to be as unsupported as possible - will take on some water at Rowardennan and leave one drop bag at Inversnaid.  Beinglas Farm is usually chaotic and I will try to get through there as quickly as possible, out onto the final lonely and gruelling stretch.

AliB - you OK?  I've got your time in my sights and have worked out CP times that will hopefully net me about 10.5 hours.

Birdypie - hope you're feeling somewhat recovered.  You will really enjoy this excursion.  My favourite section is the stretch of goat track alongside Loch Lomond between about miles 31-39, including that very small section of Grade 1 scrambling ...

16/04/2010 at 09:33

yeah I've realised from looking more carefully at the CP spreads that this is really pretty unsupported after the luxury of the JCC so planning on taking camelback with me for this and aiming to look after myself as much as possible.

Congrats on connemara - sounds like you are in good shape for this T Rex.

I had a good massage last night - SM was very pleased with how my legs have recovered over the last 7 days so i think with another week of stretching and icing I should be good to go...well for the first five miles or so at least! Off to the pool and steam room again tonight before a final trot tomorrow morning with my friend and her hyperactive alsation - always makes for an interesting run!

16/04/2010 at 17:08

foolishly with no run longer than 25miles this year we'll be popping up here after all..the memories of the amazing finish line reception were just too great to ignore

lets hope its a cool day not like last year

t rex..we can supper together after all

16/04/2010 at 17:15
yay! We'll keep my eyes peeled for you CD!
16/04/2010 at 17:20
you start before bp and i doubt i'll be catching anyone!
16/04/2010 at 17:24
Don't bet on it Dave...don't bet on it! I'm planning lots of stops to take pictures!
16/04/2010 at 19:44

Wha-hey!  Great stuff, CD.  Looking forward to that.  I'll buy you and the mutt a drink.  I presume Tyndrum has some hostelries.

Yes, a camelbak or similar is essential for this event.  The water provided is not "individual" but in large containers for topping up bladders, hydration packs, etc.  Not everything is mentioned in that race briefing.  Any questions just ask, Birdypie. I've had a couple of Flings, and CD has had at least two as well.

Finish line reception last year??  For me there was only a rather mad old lady and her dog.  (That was at Fort William, mind.)

17/04/2010 at 19:00

t rex..the mutt !? the mutt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

and anyway t rex..tell us about these 'couple of flings'!

19/04/2010 at 12:49
feeling very relieved I'm travelling by train on Friday! Pass the carbs....
401 to 420 of 513 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.