Highland Fling

421 to 440 of 513 messages
19/04/2010 at 13:12

be a lovely trip up there bp by train

we're tanking it up by road after work so a late arrival i guess .. but then theres not much going on in milngavie

19/04/2010 at 13:30

yeah I'm thinking food, food, more food...sleep...well vague attempt to sleep while racked with terrifying images of dark impenetrable scottish forests and me stuck in the middle of them!

19/04/2010 at 13:41

i never sleep well the night before either..excitement and fear combined too

btw you wont get lost..impossible..famous last words

19/04/2010 at 21:05

A couple of Flings?  Well, one in 2008 and one in 2009. I think Mrs T Rex knows about both of them.

Well, you know, the hound. 

Milngavie is under a flight path, but the way things are going we may get a quiet night!!

Birdypie - as long as you stay on the path you should be all right.

20/04/2010 at 05:54

would that be the path of righteouness t rex?

20/04/2010 at 21:44
Yes, that's the one.  The way is hard, that leads to life, and those who find it are few.
21/04/2010 at 05:08

and those that stick to it are fewer?

i hope ali bj is back in time for this...or matbe he missed the volcano cuffuffle altogether..are you there i mean here ali?

21/04/2010 at 10:32

A controversial point.  For people who are lost is it that they have strayed off the path, or have they never found the path in the first place?

21/04/2010 at 11:49
I occasionally spot the path but then get distracted and wander off again.
21/04/2010 at 23:45

But I'm sure you'll be doing none of that on Saturday!  btw a place to watch is Craigie Fort about mile 20.  When you reach the top it's not signposted but you take the path at 9 o'clock and go down the zig-zag.  I walked the WHW in 2006, missed this path, and spent ages wandering around the woods at this point.

Can't think of any other navigational problems, can you, CD?

I'd have a WHW map with you to be on the safe side.  There's Harvey's which is too detailed and lacks clarity. I prefer the Footprint map.  Very clear, although the mile markers marked on it are a bit inaccurate!  I've remarked them in the right place and written on the map split times from 2008 and 2009, and my hoped-for ones for this year.

Yes, where's AliBJ?

22/04/2010 at 10:17

please stop tempting fate t rex..its the most obvious route ive have run..two attempts and not a foot in the wrong direction (cant say that for all my runs)..so please enough!

mind you..can you remember the only two chumps with maps in their hands at the start two years ago? clowns!

22/04/2010 at 10:19

Hi T Rex - will make a mental note of that one. I've gotg the footprint map which I'll be taking with me on the day. Will put a little x on the map for that one tonight.

Looks like most of my friends will be making it up to scotland now - flights getting there and even my stranded pal in the states should just about make the train. She will be arriving at King's Cross with all her holiday clothes for the carribean though so if you see someone watching shorts and flip flops that'll be her!

22/04/2010 at 10:22

T Rex - I'm hoping to run the HF on Saturday. First time and I haven't got a map because quite a number of folk say there really is no need. However I would appreciate a bit more info about Craigie Fort. I'm looking at the map and CF is just after Balmaha where the WHW crosses the main road then heads towards a viewpoint. Is it at that point you take the path at 9 o clock?

What is your target time this year? Hope you reach it!

Cheers

22/04/2010 at 10:27

Sorry also meant to ask about the section just past Ptarmigan Lodge (beyond Rowardennan) when the WHW seems to split into 2 and becomes one path again at Rowchoish. At PL you can either follow what appears to a forestry track or the path which hugs the shoreline - which one do we run?

Thanks

22/04/2010 at 12:40

Thanks Fellrunner

I nearly mentioned the fact that there are almost as many runners for the HF as the VLM - or so it seems - and therefore navigation shouldn't be a problem

I think a conga is a great idea and will liven things up and give us newbies all the help we need!

22/04/2010 at 20:49

Hi Richard36.  I'm probably making a meal about nothing at Craigie Fort, but a pal and I did waste a lot of time here in 2006.  You go straight up, there is only a small summit with I think a bench on it, and head down on the path on your left at 9 o'clock.

At Ptarmigan Lodge the WHW used to follow the loch edge but this is now closed (at least for HF purposes!) due to landslips and the route is now signposted at a higher level on a much more dull forestry track.  The old route is still passable with care but I wouldn't advise it on Saturday.

I shall still take my Footprint map, but carry it more discreetly.  I like to know what's coming up and can't remember every foot of the way yet.  In all likelihood this year there will always be someone in view ahead.

I'm looking for about 10:30 which will be a seriously quicker time than my other two Flings.  But at least this year I haven't got the mental burden and the general restraining factor of having to do another 43 miles straight after the finish.

22/04/2010 at 20:53

Well, our numbers are up now.

Along with T-shirt sizes.  And I see you're going back on the 2200 bus, CD.

22/04/2010 at 21:33
Thanks T Rex

May come across you on the day

Have a great run

Richard
22/04/2010 at 21:45
T Rex wrote (see)

Well, our numbers are up now.

Along with T-shirt sizes.  And I see you're going back on the 2200 bus, CD.

plenty time to enjoy some fish n chips t rex

besides..whats the rush?

22/04/2010 at 22:51

No, I mean you're not staying until the wee small hours!  I should be in residence in the Real Food Cafe washed, clothed, and in my right mind about 7.30 - 8.0 p.m. onwards. Look forward to meeting up.  I remember eating there slowly but continuously for several hours in 2008.

Thanks, Richard.  You too.

And you, Birdypie. (Have a great run.)

And where's AliBJ?

421 to 440 of 513 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.