Highland Fling

461 to 480 of 513 messages
GKD
23/11/2011 at 19:22
Rather than starting a new thread I thought I'd just boing this one, anyone in for next year?
GKD
GKD
24/11/2011 at 14:57
I did wonder how that would work fellrunner, from memory the trails up around that way aren't exactly wide. That's a pretty big field to be pushing through the countryside
GKD
25/11/2011 at 20:03

Done this for the last four years but not doing it again.  The weather was so good this year (by that I mean sunny and clear) and my logistics were so spot on that I don't think I could improve on the experience.  I could try for a faster time - certainly compared with this year when I was injured - but have decided against it.

An offputting thing with this event for me is all the staggered starts - four altogether - so it is a bit dispiriting keep being overtaken (I'm now at the old codgers start) and you don't know who your competitors are at any one point.

The previous ROs , and the sponsor, were superb.  The goody bag the best ever.

It is a very good event.

26/11/2011 at 21:13

Shame T Rex, I'm doing it for the first time next year (I'll try not to take it personally)

That is a slight worry of mine too Fellrunner. Bein Glas farm wouldn't allow supporters use their facilities this year for the WHW race.

01/12/2011 at 19:50
Surprised you haven't done that one before, MrsMac.  Good luck with it.  You'll be running home of course? 
21/01/2012 at 17:07
I'm in for my first fling. Love running on the WHW so fair looking forward to it
21/01/2012 at 18:42
I'm in for my second Fling, was wanting to do Cateran Trail but this is better timing-wise as family wouldn't take kindly to me spending the kids holiday weekend doing an ultra race!!!  Hopefully a precursor to my first 100-miler a few months futher down the line.  Loved it last year, would like to be a bit speedier this year but you  never know how these longer distances are going to pan out on the day etc
21/01/2012 at 20:08

I've volunteered to marshal at the Fling this year. Entered my first ultra - another one of the Scottish Ultras later on in the year - and thought I should do my bit to help out in advance as I'm (very provisionally) hoping to improve enough this year to enter the Fling next year.

Maybe see some of you there! I assume I'll be wearing a yellow bib and handing out jelly babies...

22/01/2012 at 14:27

I'll be sure to say thanks to all the marshalls

23/01/2012 at 12:09
Yes, last year  I believe there were some ungrateful grumpy runners out there, who did not make themselves popular with marshalls, who are all volunteers after all who help make our adventure easier.
23/01/2012 at 12:59

Aye I read that on the Fling forum. It's pretty sad being ratty with a volunteer who's trying to help you.
Personally I find a wee cheery chirp with a marshall always gives me a wee lift

23/01/2012 at 18:52
too true, it's those moments when you've been running on your own for too long, with bad thoughts in your head, when you really appreciate a cheery boost or helping hand from a marshall.
GKD
06/04/2012 at 20:13
Well im out of Fellsman as I haven't given myself enough nav practise to be confident so I'm looking at this instead, what are thd essentials I need to know?
GKD
12/04/2012 at 18:44

My first fling! excited. nervous.

run-with-dogs - i'll be sure to give you a high five

12/04/2012 at 20:36

Lirish.  There is a new RO this year so can't say if any differences to the past - I think new ones are trying to keep it the same as possible.

Follows the WHW exactly so only need to look out for white thistles on posts.  They do very good drop bag system, taking your food/drink out to nominated CPs.  I used only one though, at Inversnaid at the hotel (a mile 34) - a very organised and relaxed CP.  Beinglas Farm (mile 41) is chaos so best to try to get through there as quickly as possible.

The last 12 miles seem to take an age.  A gradual uphill toil on very stony tracks.

Section along Loch Lomond very scenic twisting and turning through the woods but some of it not runnable.

Excellent cafe near the finish - Real Food Cafe.

I've enjoyed my four Flings but decided not to do it this year.

13/04/2012 at 20:58

Can't think of the Fling without remembering of bumping into you last year T Rex in Fort Bill - after completing the WHW straight after the Fling!!

Don't understand runners abusing marshalls. Even at my lowest point in a race I've always appreciated a friendly helpful face!

Really looking forward to this now, running Lochaber on Sunday as a last long run.

13/04/2012 at 22:19

Do you think there are places left?

Did the fling (and WHW) last year and always enjoy both. Was a bit hot last year but enjoyable. Now got a gap in calendar and would like to go for it again.

13/04/2012 at 22:41
yes there are places left
14/04/2012 at 08:34

Oooh, don't say that. I'm almost tempted to enter!  Been told already what checkpoint I'll be at for the WHW but despite the Fling only being two weeks away, no-one's told me yet where I'll be for it. If they don't hurry up and decide, I might just have to get a sneaky wee entry put in!

Dude -  A high five? Bet that would really be a sneaky attempt to snatch jelly babies from me. LOL! 

I just had a look at the entry list. Nearly 500 runners. Didn't realise it would be such a big crowd! The Devil's only 100 or so...

14/04/2012 at 09:19

go on...enter......go on.....you know you want to

go-an

go-an

go-an go-an go-an go-an go-an

461 to 480 of 513 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.