Highland Fling

481 to 500 of 513 messages
14/04/2012 at 10:39
 Its a tempting one alright......entry closes on 22nd April so a week left to make the decision . (Cannot believe I have actually been thinking about it since I got home from Connemara ).
14/04/2012 at 10:49
How was Conemara Tiger?

I've just about recovered from Thames Path, nevermind anything in between.

HH
14/04/2012 at 15:13

Hi Hillheader - I found Connemara quite a tough one. The scenery was spectacular and the roads very smooth and well maintained (not a pot hole in sight!), but the second half took its toll on my legs with the combination of heat, wind and hills.

Dont think I was quite ready for the rigours of a road marathon so soon after TP100. I didnt expect a fast time by any means, but I didnt expect to find it so mentally boring - thats a terrible thing to say when it was so well organised and the scenery stunning - but I just found it really really dull running on big wide open roads where you can see miles ahead. I found it all very frustrating and wanted to be running 'on' the hills not on roads through them - I kept thinking Wow this road route would be great (on a bike!!!) . Cannot fault the organisation though - it was all very very impressive and the standard of marathon / ultra running in Ireland seems to be very high.

Really has helped set my mind even more firmly now that the direction I want to take is more trail / cross country running. Give me a backpack, a nice trail, and a map in my hand so I have something to think about and I'll happily run all day (and night) .

GKD
14/04/2012 at 18:59
Interesting you said that TP, Connemara is where I grew up so I know it well but the ultra bored the arse off me. As you said it was beautiful are but running on the roads kinda felt to me like it could have been anywhere, there was a disconnect for me between the area we were in and what we wee running on.
Not sure if that makes sense but though of was a great day well organised I'm nog sure I'll be back
GKD
14/04/2012 at 19:26

Hope you have a ball in May Fellrunner I trust there will be plenty of running involved?

RWD, what WHW cheeckpoint are you on so I can say hello? If I'm not too gubbed

I'd agree about Connemara too. Fabulous race - if it wasn't on the roads!

14/04/2012 at 22:04

I've never done a road Ultra TP but understand what you mean. Well done for staying with it. Runing through the scenery is not the same as running over the scenery I guess! 

Going to see how legs fare with a 1/2 marathon tomorrow and then could enter?. Walked the WHW with family 2 weeks ago so at least I should be fine for navigation. I wonder how many people will take the wrong route 1/2 mile from start by missing the left turn! I

15/04/2012 at 15:53

HH - thanks , I 'only' did the marathon though , not the ultra (thank goodness!). I think I would have had to hang myself with the boredom about 13m from the end if I had tried the ultra .

Hope your Half went well today. I am going to hold off my decision on the Fling until the 11th hour and see how my legs feel over the next few days.

Lirish - well done on completing the ultra - I know what you mean 'disconnected' - yes that is exactly how I felt too.

It is reassuring to hear other people feel the same about Connemara, I had such high expectations of the race. I stayed on for a week after the marathon in a village about 4m outside Clifton. Explored some stunning coastal routes on narrower roads and lovely villages that would have been great to incorporate into the race (particularly the ultra distance) - guess they are seling it as a run through the National Park though, and I did see lots of other races advertised whilst I was there (eg a stunning 10k over the Sky Road from Clifton - now that would be a tough 10k , as well as a hill run up Diamond Hill ).

15/04/2012 at 16:51

I've read a couple of folks' training blogs for the WHW/Fling where they mention taking the wrong turn near the start. I think someone said it looks different due to some trees having recently been cleared and that's what confused them. Hopefully there'll be no wrong turns on the day!

Mrs Mac - Unless the organisers change their plans, I'll be at Bein Glas for the WHW. Not sure about the Fling yet. If I don't hear from them soon I'll give them a shout and remind them I'm available. Although I'm rather tempted to enter it myself I think it would be a bit optimistic (well, dumb!) considering I've hardly done any off-road running and the longest I've run before is only 33 miles. Next year I'm definitely going for it though! 

15/04/2012 at 20:15

RWD - if it makes you feel any better i also have done very little off road running and my longest run is also 33 mile

Mrs Mac - how was lochaber? ive already started my taper so your 'last long run' made me feel very small indeed

15/04/2012 at 20:50

I got a 4 minute PB - 3.32 I wouldn't worry TDA, I'll no doubt pay for my silliness

I'd say that was plenty RWD, go for it! I'll try and remember to pay attention at Bein Glas

TP, we did that too after last time we did the Ultra. Its such a stunning place isn't it? Did you know the same Race Organiser does a 100 mile race in Connemara too - all on road. EEEEKKK

15/04/2012 at 20:53

out bloody standing.

15/04/2012 at 21:04

Wow speedy pb Mrs Mac - well done .

Aaaaaaaaaargh at the thought of 100m on road <swoon, faint> .

Definitely would go to Connemara again for a holiday - it was fabulous and the people were so friendly .

15/04/2012 at 23:03

Cracking time Mrs Mac - wow! I'll be happy with a 4.30 PB at my next marathon.

Out of interest Dude, what shoes will you be wearing for the Fling?

16/04/2012 at 03:33

all things being well, i'll be wearing these LA Sportiva Wildcats trail shoes wot i just bought. I was a bit worried about breaking in a new pair so soon but they seem grand

most of my previous off road running has been in my bog standard mizuno wave inspire road runners (which were fine) but i thought i would finally break into my cobwebby wallet and get some decent kit

17/04/2012 at 18:11
Ah... I was wondering if you might be running in road shoes seeing as you said you'd not done much off roading. I've got a lovely pair of Inov8s but I haven't got round to breaking them in yet as I love my Asics so much and they never seem to need any breaking in, they always just feel perfect straight out of the box...
17/04/2012 at 20:07
RWD, you'd probably get away with road shoes for the Fling unless its been particularly wet. Better off having comfy feet I'd say - having totally shredded mine on the WHW race last year by wearing brand new Kanadias
17/04/2012 at 21:01

I think I'll be wearing my Mizuno Wave ascends that I wore last year I think - basically road shoe with a bit more tread - did get a blister last year at about 40 miles but hoping to jump on that a bit earlier this year if it rears it's ugly head!  But would agree road shoes would probably be fine for all of it except coming off Conic Hill if it's really wet, but I guess if you take it slowly or just slither on your butt it doesn't matter!!

Did a nice 18-miler this morning in the hissing rain and was thinking I'd rather have last years heatwave than this as it was freezing and horrible today!

18/04/2012 at 07:01
I'd be using road shoes. Do the same for the WHW. There are places where trail shoes would be better (descent off Conic hill if wet or near muddy farm) but generally not much mud around. Personal choice though.
Edited: 18/04/2012 at 07:01
27/04/2012 at 18:09

Finally got told my checkpoint - I'll be at Rowardennan tomorrow. Say hi if you've got the energy! Here's hoping the weather holds out - I just looked online and it's supposed to be sunny, dry and fairly cool which sounds pretty much perfect. Have a great race everyone - I'm looking forward to watching you all run by me as I tick off race numbers and nibble on jelly babies!

27/04/2012 at 21:33

great stuff RWD - i"ll *hopefully* see you. black and white check bandana.

good luck everyone!

481 to 500 of 513 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.