Highland Fling

481 to 500 of 509 messages
14/04/2012 at 18:59
Interesting you said that TP, Connemara is where I grew up so I know it well but the ultra bored the arse off me. As you said it was beautiful are but running on the roads kinda felt to me like it could have been anywhere, there was a disconnect for me between the area we were in and what we wee running on.
Not sure if that makes sense but though of was a great day well organised I'm nog sure I'll be back
14/04/2012 at 19:26

Hope you have a ball in May Fellrunner I trust there will be plenty of running involved?

RWD, what WHW cheeckpoint are you on so I can say hello? If I'm not too gubbed

I'd agree about Connemara too. Fabulous race - if it wasn't on the roads!

14/04/2012 at 22:04

I've never done a road Ultra TP but understand what you mean. Well done for staying with it. Runing through the scenery is not the same as running over the scenery I guess! 

Going to see how legs fare with a 1/2 marathon tomorrow and then could enter?. Walked the WHW with family 2 weeks ago so at least I should be fine for navigation. I wonder how many people will take the wrong route 1/2 mile from start by missing the left turn! I

15/04/2012 at 15:53

HH - thanks , I 'only' did the marathon though , not the ultra (thank goodness!). I think I would have had to hang myself with the boredom about 13m from the end if I had tried the ultra .

Hope your Half went well today. I am going to hold off my decision on the Fling until the 11th hour and see how my legs feel over the next few days.

Lirish - well done on completing the ultra - I know what you mean 'disconnected' - yes that is exactly how I felt too.

It is reassuring to hear other people feel the same about Connemara, I had such high expectations of the race. I stayed on for a week after the marathon in a village about 4m outside Clifton. Explored some stunning coastal routes on narrower roads and lovely villages that would have been great to incorporate into the race (particularly the ultra distance) - guess they are seling it as a run through the National Park though, and I did see lots of other races advertised whilst I was there (eg a stunning 10k over the Sky Road from Clifton - now that would be a tough 10k , as well as a hill run up Diamond Hill ).

15/04/2012 at 16:51

I've read a couple of folks' training blogs for the WHW/Fling where they mention taking the wrong turn near the start. I think someone said it looks different due to some trees having recently been cleared and that's what confused them. Hopefully there'll be no wrong turns on the day!

Mrs Mac - Unless the organisers change their plans, I'll be at Bein Glas for the WHW. Not sure about the Fling yet. If I don't hear from them soon I'll give them a shout and remind them I'm available. Although I'm rather tempted to enter it myself I think it would be a bit optimistic (well, dumb!) considering I've hardly done any off-road running and the longest I've run before is only 33 miles. Next year I'm definitely going for it though! 

15/04/2012 at 20:15

RWD - if it makes you feel any better i also have done very little off road running and my longest run is also 33 mile

Mrs Mac - how was lochaber? ive already started my taper so your 'last long run' made me feel very small indeed

15/04/2012 at 20:50

I got a 4 minute PB - 3.32 I wouldn't worry TDA, I'll no doubt pay for my silliness

I'd say that was plenty RWD, go for it! I'll try and remember to pay attention at Bein Glas

TP, we did that too after last time we did the Ultra. Its such a stunning place isn't it? Did you know the same Race Organiser does a 100 mile race in Connemara too - all on road. EEEEKKK

15/04/2012 at 20:53

out bloody standing.

15/04/2012 at 21:04

Wow speedy pb Mrs Mac - well done .

Aaaaaaaaaargh at the thought of 100m on road <swoon, faint> .

Definitely would go to Connemara again for a holiday - it was fabulous and the people were so friendly .

15/04/2012 at 23:03

Cracking time Mrs Mac - wow! I'll be happy with a 4.30 PB at my next marathon.

Out of interest Dude, what shoes will you be wearing for the Fling?

16/04/2012 at 03:33

all things being well, i'll be wearing these LA Sportiva Wildcats trail shoes wot i just bought. I was a bit worried about breaking in a new pair so soon but they seem grand

most of my previous off road running has been in my bog standard mizuno wave inspire road runners (which were fine) but i thought i would finally break into my cobwebby wallet and get some decent kit

17/04/2012 at 18:11
Ah... I was wondering if you might be running in road shoes seeing as you said you'd not done much off roading. I've got a lovely pair of Inov8s but I haven't got round to breaking them in yet as I love my Asics so much and they never seem to need any breaking in, they always just feel perfect straight out of the box...
17/04/2012 at 20:07
RWD, you'd probably get away with road shoes for the Fling unless its been particularly wet. Better off having comfy feet I'd say - having totally shredded mine on the WHW race last year by wearing brand new Kanadias
18/04/2012 at 07:01
I'd be using road shoes. Do the same for the WHW. There are places where trail shoes would be better (descent off Conic hill if wet or near muddy farm) but generally not much mud around. Personal choice though.
Edited: 18/04/2012 at 07:01
27/04/2012 at 18:09

Finally got told my checkpoint - I'll be at Rowardennan tomorrow. Say hi if you've got the energy! Here's hoping the weather holds out - I just looked online and it's supposed to be sunny, dry and fairly cool which sounds pretty much perfect. Have a great race everyone - I'm looking forward to watching you all run by me as I tick off race numbers and nibble on jelly babies!

27/04/2012 at 21:33

great stuff RWD - i"ll *hopefully* see you. black and white check bandana.

good luck everyone!

28/04/2012 at 23:34
C'mon, people.  How was it?
29/04/2012 at 16:42

Well I had a great day, but then I wasn't running. LOL! 

By the number of people who chose to retire at Rowardennan, I think Conic Hill wrecked a lot of legs. The most common lament I heard was "I feel absolutely fine but my knees are just f**ked!" One woman fell badly between Drymen and Rowardennan and suffered a suspected broken arm. She was taken off in an ambulance but I didn't hear any more about how she got on. 

Apart from that, and the disappointed runners who decided not to carry on, it was a brilliant atmosphere at the checkpoint and I had a great time watching everyone run through and chuckling at the contents of some of the drop bags. (Special mention here to the guy with two big slices of cold pizza and nothing else!) Saw a few folk from my club and a few folk I recognised from other races. Shared a tray of fancy M&S sandwiches provided for the marshals and got a free bottle of wine for helping out. I just went home after the last runner came through so wasn't at the finish. I'd have liked to have been there but just couldn't spare the time. Drove a couple of the runners who had retired early back to Milngavie train station on my way home so got a good chat which livened up what would have otherwise been a dull journey.

Dude: Sorry, I didn't see your last message so didn't know what to look out for. Think I remember seeing a checkered headband mid-afternoon but there were a lot of bandannas and buffs on the go so I can't be sure. Well, how did you get on then? 

29/04/2012 at 18:24
I forgot to look out for you at Rowardennan RWD but the folks at your checkpoint(and every checkpoint!) were great. I had a tough run, had no energy for the hills but enjoyed it none-the-less. Finished in 11.20 and am currently drinking my bottle of bubbly
29/04/2012 at 20:19

Hiya. Well done Mrs Mac.....great run!

Sorry I didnt get a chance to say hi RWD. although I did see people with a tray of M&S sandwiches so i may have seen you im too shy to come and say to a random 'umm are you someone of that RW forum' etc

What a day! my second ultra and first over 33 miles.....and i had the best time ever. 

For the first time in my life i ran a conservative race. i ignored those around me powering on and did my own thing, and though i was slower than I had hoped, I had so much more fun.

My only slight trouble was nutrition. i took on too much sweet food/drink and made myself ill, particularly after rowardennan when i wolfed down a nutella piece, tablet and loads of flat coke and nearly passed out with nausea/sugar rush. but i rode it out and felt like a million dollars at Inversnaid.

My slowest stretch (as with the rest of you) was between Rowardennan and Beinglas. (TP I see what you mean about the tree roots). In a strange way I actually really enjoyed this stage. it was slow-going but fun to manouvre past all the roots and rocks. like an obstacle course. i loved it. i met an australian bloke who was really suffering and, perhaps foolishly, i stuck with him as he was determined to make the 5.30 cut off. i lost a lot of time as a result but made a friend.

This decision also helped me conserve energy and I was able to really push on after Beinglas, my fastest stage of the race. i finished really strongly. 

it wasn't quick (11.52) but all in all I had an absolute blast. great weather, scenery and met lots of interesting people. fun.

Thanks to RWD and everyone else who made it such a great day.

481 to 500 of 509 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.