Highland Fling

501 to 513 of 513 messages
28/04/2012 at 23:34
C'mon, people.  How was it?
29/04/2012 at 16:42

Well I had a great day, but then I wasn't running. LOL! 

By the number of people who chose to retire at Rowardennan, I think Conic Hill wrecked a lot of legs. The most common lament I heard was "I feel absolutely fine but my knees are just f**ked!" One woman fell badly between Drymen and Rowardennan and suffered a suspected broken arm. She was taken off in an ambulance but I didn't hear any more about how she got on. 

Apart from that, and the disappointed runners who decided not to carry on, it was a brilliant atmosphere at the checkpoint and I had a great time watching everyone run through and chuckling at the contents of some of the drop bags. (Special mention here to the guy with two big slices of cold pizza and nothing else!) Saw a few folk from my club and a few folk I recognised from other races. Shared a tray of fancy M&S sandwiches provided for the marshals and got a free bottle of wine for helping out. I just went home after the last runner came through so wasn't at the finish. I'd have liked to have been there but just couldn't spare the time. Drove a couple of the runners who had retired early back to Milngavie train station on my way home so got a good chat which livened up what would have otherwise been a dull journey.

Dude: Sorry, I didn't see your last message so didn't know what to look out for. Think I remember seeing a checkered headband mid-afternoon but there were a lot of bandannas and buffs on the go so I can't be sure. Well, how did you get on then? 

29/04/2012 at 18:24
I forgot to look out for you at Rowardennan RWD but the folks at your checkpoint(and every checkpoint!) were great. I had a tough run, had no energy for the hills but enjoyed it none-the-less. Finished in 11.20 and am currently drinking my bottle of bubbly
29/04/2012 at 20:19

Hiya. Well done Mrs Mac.....great run!

Sorry I didnt get a chance to say hi RWD. although I did see people with a tray of M&S sandwiches so i may have seen you im too shy to come and say to a random 'umm are you someone of that RW forum' etc

What a day! my second ultra and first over 33 miles.....and i had the best time ever. 

For the first time in my life i ran a conservative race. i ignored those around me powering on and did my own thing, and though i was slower than I had hoped, I had so much more fun.

My only slight trouble was nutrition. i took on too much sweet food/drink and made myself ill, particularly after rowardennan when i wolfed down a nutella piece, tablet and loads of flat coke and nearly passed out with nausea/sugar rush. but i rode it out and felt like a million dollars at Inversnaid.

My slowest stretch (as with the rest of you) was between Rowardennan and Beinglas. (TP I see what you mean about the tree roots). In a strange way I actually really enjoyed this stage. it was slow-going but fun to manouvre past all the roots and rocks. like an obstacle course. i loved it. i met an australian bloke who was really suffering and, perhaps foolishly, i stuck with him as he was determined to make the 5.30 cut off. i lost a lot of time as a result but made a friend.

This decision also helped me conserve energy and I was able to really push on after Beinglas, my fastest stage of the race. i finished really strongly. 

it wasn't quick (11.52) but all in all I had an absolute blast. great weather, scenery and met lots of interesting people. fun.

Thanks to RWD and everyone else who made it such a great day.

01/05/2012 at 11:34

Wow Dude, that's amazing! Really well done! Nothing foolish about hanging back a bit to help someone out - especially on off road events where people could easily get lost/stuck out overnight. I bet he was hugely glad of the company. So did he make it the whole way to the finish okay? And yes, going slow for a bit probably did you a favour and helped you get to the finish in good shape.What state are your legs in now?

To be honest, I'm very glad now I didn't enter last minute as having seen the state of everyone coming through at 27 miles, I think I'd have really struggled to get to the end in one piece. Not saying I wouldn't have managed it, just that I don't think I'd have enjoyed it very much...

So what's your next ultra then? I'm doing a couple more tarmac ones this year but am determined to venture into the hills in 2013. 

01/05/2012 at 19:42

Yes my pal dropped out at 27 hours. I was surprised as he had looked fresh but he said bombing down Conic really took it out of his knees. im a jessie so took it more conservatively. although i still ran down....FUN

Im sure you would have been fine...but it sounds like marshalling was a giggle too

Next?! once my toes heal i'd say i fancy the Devil o the highlands but it seems a bit more strict with regard to requirements for a support team etc. I dont think ive enough pals for that, although maybe my mum could do it. I quite fancy Glen Bogle 33, or the Speyside Way or maybe the River Ayr Way. or i might just take up fishing

what about you? what's next?

01/05/2012 at 20:09

Dude, I'd thoroughly recomend The Devil. Its a superb race, and not really that strict. The main thing for the support team to do is to supply water & fuel

What road Ultras are you doing RWD?

01/05/2012 at 20:59

That's good to hear mrs mac it looks a brilliant race and it'd be great to 'finish the job' re whw.

how are the legs?

02/05/2012 at 10:18

Yes, I fancy the Devil for next year too but was a bit put off by the support crew requirements. I've got lots of pals who would happily drive along from checkpoint to checkpoint dishing out drinkies and nibbles but none who are runners. If that rule isn't too strict though I think I'll have to give it a go.

I've already got my entry in for the Clyde Stride and the RAW.  Also planning on doing the Speyside Way and the Glenogle 33, which I just heard about on Saturday there and which sounds like a nice end to the season. Also pondering an entry for the shortest section of the Kintyre Way which I think is around 35 miles. Not sure if that's a daft idea tho' as it's the middle of June and I'm doing the Lakeland Trails mara at the start of July and I've been told it's quite a tough one...

02/05/2012 at 21:28

My legs are still agony Today its a real bone-achey feeling which is strange since it was off-road?

Jeezo, RWD - you're keen

02/05/2012 at 21:45

oh dear....sorry to hear that Mrs Mac. i guess the lochaber/fling combo took it out of you. not surprised....superhuman effort! i hope you get a lift today.

My legs feel much better today. Still slight stiffness but im going to try a run tomorrow.

That's one thing i have noticed of late. my recovery is improving.

RWD - exciting to be making plans. it's going to be some year for you!

just looking up the Lakeland Trail Marathon. looks amazing.

03/05/2012 at 10:00
MrsMac wrote (see)

Jeezo, RWD - you're keen

Well, I don't think it takes as much out of you when you're slow, which I am. 

As for making plans, it all sort of happened by accident! I always enter a bunch of events right at the start of the year so I've got stuff to train for. This year I happened upon ultras, and once I figured out the Scottish ones were all significantly cheaper to enter than marathons, well, I just went a bit daft!

Dude: Go on... Enter it, enter it... You know you want to.... LOL!

03/05/2012 at 11:05

yes ultras are good for the thrifty among us i'll never do the glasgow half again! ripoff!

i do want to.....but I can't im on stage that night Next year....enjoy!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
501 to 513 of 513 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.