Highland Fling

1 to 20 of 513 messages
29/04/2007 at 16:06
fellrunner - I saw that Jez Bragg came 3rd at Lochaber. That was a little warm up for him I suppose! It's not my idea of a taper, boy do I have a lot to learn. Yesterday I managed 35 miles in just a couple of minutes short of 7 hours.

So,how was it for you then, hours & minutes & conditions?
29/04/2007 at 22:40
Wow fellrunner, that is encouraging for you then, going on to do WHW this year. I'm in awe.
I was at Lochaber last year & in love with the scenery on the road. Coming from just outside the Peak District I feel I can appreciate the scenery. However, the Highlands are something else!

Sometimes the numbers are mind boggling for a novice like me, but I do love your comment: "and I finished confident that I had another 40 miles in me". My longest run to date was 35 miles. I'm trying to figure out if I have another 20 left on top of that. Like you say though, keep to the pace & you'll do fine. I'd really be interested in hearing how you get on afterwards.

BTW - you might remember contributing to a post I made a while ago about my son's car insurance claim. Thanks for that. We've not heard any more since then.
30/04/2007 at 22:53
Cheers to you fellrunner. I'm getting to realise that self belief & a strong mind have a major part to play in this ultra lark. Does the 'nutter brain syndrome' mean that brain power / reasoning is replaced by mental strength (lol)?

While out for my Tempo run tonight it occurred to me you might be able to help with a question I have about Heart Rates & ultra distance. Do you go by personal 'feel' (if you'll pardon the phrase) or do you get HR info? I have been trying to guesstimate what %age of Max I would keep to. Broadly speaking I'm thinking of trying to stay between 70 - 75% of my Max for as long as I can manage. I did wonder if that was conservative though.
Any comments?
15/02/2008 at 00:35

Doesn't seem to be a thread for this year's event so shall we carry on with this one?  Shouldn't really clutter up the forum with too many Fling threads.

Looking forward to it.

Is there baggage transport from the start to the finish?

15/02/2008 at 21:40

Don't think so Trex.  You're supposed to have a support crew to carry your stuff.

Been training for thie for a few months now.  First big ultra - I hope to do the WHW next year if I can get around this in decent enough shape..

16/02/2008 at 00:18
Hmm.  No indication in race info that you have to have support crew for this event, only Devil o' the Highlands and full WHW.  Can someone confirm this.  fellrunner?  Otherwise I shall be pulling out.
16/02/2008 at 18:43

Sorry for duff info TRex.  I've just discovered that you don't need back-up and they are having drop off bags.  See here:

http://www.highlandflingrace.org/

How's your training coming along?

16/02/2008 at 23:09

A bit erratic, Scream.  Trying to make sure the long runs are not missed though.  Done one 25-miler in local hills recently and had a PB for a road 50K at end of Jan. 

Going out for possibly my toughest ever training run on Monday - about 32 miles over some very hilly country.  Enough time for perhaps a couple more of these in March, and doing a road 39-miler at beginning of April.  Hope that's enough to get by.  (Shorter stuff in between of course, although I'm a low mileage runner.)

16/02/2008 at 23:10
Sorry, not being polite.  And what are you up to?
19/02/2008 at 19:00

First 50 so not quite doing the number of long runs you've listed.  Done a few 20s with 10-12s the next day and planning two 30-35 milers, one later this month and one in April.  Training going reasonably well at the moment.

I'm looking forward to the lights nights when I can get some trail/hill sessions in during the weeks.

20/02/2008 at 22:07
Cheers fellrunner.  I'm taking a support crew however - am I the only one? - as mentioned, it's my first long ultra so I don't want to get anything wrong.  I also plan to run the full WHW race next year and want to familiarise my support crew with the route.
21/02/2008 at 01:28

Ah, fellrunner, you're here already!

What's with this cottage for finishers?  Going to be a little cosy with 119 runners already entered.  No showers specifically mentioned.

Scream - a bit of military precision with your plans, by the looks of it.

21/02/2008 at 13:53

I have 1 suport driver who will drive my van as practice for WHW race.

Will get a wash at Fort William sat night before hiting the pub and geting some food down me so ready for Lochaber Marathon on the Sunday. You still on for the double also Fellrunner.

BTW FR shame you cant make that 64 miler so far only 5 entries.

21/02/2008 at 14:21

Guinness is Carbo loading you know.

5 folks entered so far they expect a field of around 20 to 25 so hope it happens.

Triple Crown year for me

Next training run I am doing the first really boring section just so I have it down.

Draycote last weekend I had forgotten what it was like to run on Tarmac glad to get back to the trails this weekend.

21/02/2008 at 23:01

Hmm.  No trains for me from Glasgow on Saturday night so will have to have a bit of a think about this one.  Will need to stay in Tyndrum.  And, no, I'm not going on to Fort Bill!

Is there a good campsite in Milngavie area?

25/02/2008 at 13:39

There are scheduled trains coming south from Glasgow on Sunday but no tickets are coming up yet online.  Has there been a rush on them or haven't they been published yet?

Found the campsite - Bankell Farm?  2K to the start, though.  But I suppose what's another 2K when you're already doing 85K?

25/02/2008 at 13:50

Last time I checked you could not by train tickets in advance of 3 months so should be open soon.

Dont know about camp sites I have small camper van so car park works for me.

26/02/2008 at 22:08
Cheers, Loon Dod.  I'll keep trying.
29/02/2008 at 22:24
Everyone must be out training ...
04/03/2008 at 22:24

Quiet thread this one.  I've finally managed to get train tickets from S Wales to this. V Diff to sort out. To get cheap tickets, or even a ticket at all, I had to split the out journey into two singles and the return journey into three singles.  Just got to book the campsites now to be on the safe side.  Then bring it on I suppose. 

53 days to go.  One day for each mile.

1 to 20 of 513 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.