Highland Fling

21 to 40 of 171 messages
GKD
05/11/2012 at 19:47
Cheers cc, pretty much what I thought, read the reviews of the Fellsman last year after I had to drop out and thought it sounded incredibly tough, first time I've heard of people dropping out of race in the uk from wind blindness!
GKD
05/11/2012 at 19:59

There is, It's called DEvil of the Highlands and takes place in August but it requires a support team.

05/11/2012 at 20:37
Yup, entry list for the Devil is open just now. It usually fills up fast.
05/11/2012 at 20:40

Hey Elspeth ....have you entered yet? Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on......

05/11/2012 at 20:45

I always look at that one, but just can't be doing with the need for a support team for it which always puts me off ... but I AM planning my own recce of it at some point over this winter.

05/11/2012 at 20:54

Yeah needing a support team is off-putting, think it will have to be the Fling

05/11/2012 at 21:07
Just about to enter the Highland fling, but non running OH ( doesn't drive either!!) wants to come - anyone know what kind of transport links there are between start and finish?
05/11/2012 at 21:24

Scot Rail do a couple of trains a day between Glasgow Queens Street and Fort William, stopping at Tyndrum.

Scottish city link buses also call at Tyndrum but I've no idea how often they run. Usually they are few and far between.

It should be possible, but your OH will have a lot of hanging about to do. Luckily some nice cafes in Tyndrum .

05/11/2012 at 21:47

she could be a marshall!

Edited: 05/11/2012 at 21:48
05/11/2012 at 23:57
Just what I was going to say! She could see you off at the start, get a lift to one of the checkpoints, help to hand out drop bags etc, see you run through, then get a lift to the finish when the checkpoint closes. The organisers love having extra helpers.

Though maybe if she's not into running she'd rather tear her face off with hot pliers than have to hang around for hours handing out jelly babies...
06/11/2012 at 11:48

that sounds so much fun I might just be a marshall myself instead of running!

06/11/2012 at 18:10

I love marshaling. Always rather manic but much fun. Plus it's a great way to check out everyone's choice of shoes, kit and food.

06/11/2012 at 19:50

Of course Els is doing it TP....she's on this thread after all

cragchick, there's a group run on the Devil route on the 24th November if you fancy company

06/11/2012 at 21:49

oooo

07/11/2012 at 00:52

Hello MrsMac  Count me out of that little jaunt.  I've had my fill of the WHW for the time being.  The abiding memories of my two arrivals at Fort William seem to be very hazy ones.   I remember some crazy woman leaping out of a car at me ...

07/11/2012 at 00:58

If you like loose stones of varying degrees of size, angularity, sharpness, and propensity to tip you over, you'll love the Devil route.

I'd rather have tree roots any day!

Must say a combined start to The Fling is much better fun, although you'll be slow getting off.

07/11/2012 at 09:19

slow is good

07/11/2012 at 18:22

Definitely a slow start is good, and I'm used to being lonely at the back....sooooo....this should be a good race . Hopefully a few more of the slower women will stick around and not dnf themselves at Rowardennan like this year , I met a few running the same pace as me about 20m, but they all dropped at 27m!!!

Mrs Mac - you always come on here with such good runs . I will add my 'oooooo' +1 to Dudes again . We need to work combined on Els, I think .

07/11/2012 at 19:05

@Andy AFCB - the race organises buses from the finish back to the start in the evening - £10 and they leave each hour (6pm until 10pm I think).  There's a £5 Ceilidh after the race though, so if you stay up, you'd be able to get a train back on the Sunday.

Got my entry in already - fourth year in a row.  Not sure about the 6am start since I'll probably get caught up with going too fast at the front - unlike this year when I was still in the car-park chatting when the 7am runners headed off (oops)

There are training runs on a regular basis - have a look at the group in Fetch Everyone or the FB WHWrace page for these (often one a month).  There's also a whw training weekend covering the Balmaha to Inversnaid section on 25th/26th January, which was brilliant earlier this year

07/11/2012 at 19:52

Ha ha T Rex I hadn't thought how frightening that might be after 96 miles!

I much prefer the Devil half, but then I also seem to spend a lot of my time falling over

Yes TP, we'll talk her round

Hi Andy 

21 to 40 of 171 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.