Highland Fling

41 to 60 of 171 messages
08/11/2012 at 11:41

TP, I don't remember loads of women dropping out at Rowardennan last year. Not saying it didn't happen, just wondering why I can't remember it. I was collecting timing chips from the DNF-ers to make sure everyone was accounted for, and I only remember guys. I didn't have a piece of paper so I was writing the names and numbers on my arm to keep track of them all. Looked like a REALLY bad self-done tattoo and took ages to scrub off afterwards. BTW I'm a slow burd and I'll be doing everything I can not to drop out at 27 miles. I'm actually planning on picking up the dog from there so he can keep me company if I'm at the coo's tail by then...

08/11/2012 at 12:03

Runs-with-dogs - maybe they finished behind me then . All I remember is seeing a bunch sitting about at Rowardennan, and none of them passed me later.

08/11/2012 at 12:58
Perhaps
you're just not quite as slow as you think!

Maybe relay runners? Or full Flingers taking an extended lunch break? I did find it quite hard to keep track of who was running right through, who was finishing a leg, who was waiting to start one, who had DNF'd and was hanging around hoping for a lift and who was only supporting or spectating but doing so wearing full running kit just to cause confusion!
08/11/2012 at 20:21

MrsMac - thanks for the heads up on that one - not sure I'll manage that one as am just getting back on it again after three weeks of not a lot of running! Did manage 10 mile this morning and it felt OK ... BUT I will check out the facebook page etc, esp seeing as I've got my hopeful entry in for WHW race. WELL DONE on Glen Ogle BTW, that's a great time.  And YES we do need to get Elspeth on board, for some reason she keeps saying the distance is beyond her but I really dont' think thats the case - is it?

Tripping up - oh yay - that will be me, haven't done it for a while so due a good one.  Last spectacular one I stoved my fingers and it took months to heal

That's daft DNFing a 27ish miles so YES hopefully with all the speedsters out the way it will be more motivating for others? No chance of me getting dragged off too fast at the start

09/11/2012 at 19:51

No worries cragchick, maybe the next one? Good luck with the WHW entry I've offered to crew for a friend this year. Elspeth seems to have vanished.........

09/11/2012 at 20:46

Seeing this forum thread makes me tempted again. Had a dire run in the heat of 2011. Tempted by the WHW again as well but need to find right moment to discuss with wife. Will dream of the rooty stuff along the loch....

09/11/2012 at 22:08

Last year the conditions were probably near perfect I reckon Hillhead, 2011 was my first attempt at it and YES, the heat was an absolute shocker wasn't it. I've OK the Fling with hubby, mentioned I'm entering the ballot for UTMB but haven't mentioned the WHW race yet ... and that's the one that will cause most hassle I expect! Now the kids are a bit bigger it's easier leaving him to get on with it while I do a runner for the weekend!

MrsMac - was reading about crewing on it earlier, realised I'd put plenty of thought into entering the ballot but pushed the crew thing to the back of my mind, have never used a crew before so need to start touting for potential candidates so we all have time to get used to the idea I guess!   

09/11/2012 at 22:14

Hi Folks,  Good to see a wee bit of chat about the Fling, and all good so you must all be amazing people   

Many thanks to all for entering or thinking about it.

We are always so grateful for extra marshals (including OH's).  It is really selfish when marshals from 2012 deside to run in 2013...... only kidding "runs-with-dogs"  

Good luck to everyone with your winter training

10/11/2012 at 17:20

Well I'd love to marshall if I can't run it, what's the date again?

This training run in Nov - which bit would it be?

10/11/2012 at 17:46

You ARE going to run Elspeth though

10/11/2012 at 22:01

Date is Saturday 27th April.  Loads of time to train  

11/11/2012 at 19:51

Elspeth... get your entry in! You know you want to The training run is Tyndrum - Fort William (or part of it, as much as you want). Not sure if we'll be there yet.

cragchick, I'd never used a crew before the WHW. Discovered a good crew can be the making of your race.

WiB
12/11/2012 at 13:16

Entered the Fling Hopefully see some of you there!

WiB
12/11/2012 at 13:27

Thanks Mrs Mac and Fellrunner - I know where you are coming from FR as that is how I feel on most of my ultras now, I really don't like having control removed  (spot the control freak!!) from me so to speak and love the whole 'all down to me' thing, and also worry having never had a crew before just how well it would work. But I will comply with the rules ...

See you there then WIB

12/11/2012 at 17:53

Cragchick - I am exactly the same .

Hurrah WiB !

I see they have dropped below the '100' mark now for places remaining. Get yer entries in (that means you Elspeth ).

WiB
12/11/2012 at 20:16

Yep, I was hanging on for a while but it got to about 440 so decided just to enter before I missed out... time to look at flights now as a quick look shows a return flight to Glasgow is much cheaper than driving!

WiB
12/11/2012 at 20:26

Hi Fellrunner! Long time no 'see' I do agree with you, ordinarily I don't have a crew but had to accept it for the WHWR and really was glad they were there. It was nice to just switch off and let someone else organise my stuff for me. The rest of the time, its down to me

Nice one WiB

Yes, come along Elspeth......

12/11/2012 at 22:33

having done the drive in reverse (well with an extra 4 hours on top of that from here) WIB, I'd definitely go for the flying option!! Either that or a sleeper train???

WiB
13/11/2012 at 08:58

Sleeper train is possible CC but to be honest for the price of flights it seems the best option to fly. I am pretty close to Gatwick and I don't think it is far from Glasgow airport to Milngavie.

WiB
13/11/2012 at 10:30

WiB - not too far, but does take a while on public transport. If you decide to go direct then your best option is a taxi. However if you are intending to stay in Glasgow city centre the night before then there is a shuttle bus from the airport. From the city centre you can get a number 119 First Bus from Buchanan Bus Station all the way out to Milngavie, which is an okay service during the week, but I wouldnt risk this on race morning....again your best option here would be a taxi with it being a 6am start for everyone.

41 to 60 of 171 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.