Highland Fling

61 to 80 of 171 messages
13/11/2012 at 11:09

I think you've got your acommodation in Milngavie sorted haven't you WIB? Being so close to Gatwick, flying definitely best, esp if you get a cheap flight booked now.

WiB
13/11/2012 at 11:19

CC - Yep, sorted for somewhere to stay in Milngavie so no problem there. Will get flight booked shortly then.

TP - Cheers for the info. Sounds like a bus from Glasgow to Milngavie during the day Friday will be ok? Worst case scenario then just grab a taxi.

WiB
13/11/2012 at 14:05

WiB - yep, you will be fine on the bus on Friday . Glasgow uses a 'zoning' system for bus fares now, so I think you should be able to get there for the standard £1.85 fare (even though it is quite a way out). Anyway the bus drivers in Glasgow will not be shy to tell you if it is more, and it will have probably gone up again by next April . I think its about a tenner in a private hire, more if you get a black cab.

13/11/2012 at 19:15

Hi all, just entered the race earlier today so now totally committed, accomodation booked so just need to sort flights, looking forward to a great race.

14/11/2012 at 10:25

Jwheezy - Welcome to the madhoose .

14/11/2012 at 11:50

Good Stuff.

Regarding getting to Milngavie, there are also trains from both Glasgow Central and Glasgow Queen Street Stations.  These take about 30 minutes.

Re. accomodation in Milngavie:  There are 2 Premier Inns (Milngavie and Bearsden) which are within easy walking distance of the start.  Both will be completely full of runners.

Re flying:  Please note that there are 2 Glasgow Airports.  Glasgow International Airport is a lot closer to Glasgow (15 minutes on bus to City Centre).  Glasgow Prestwick Airport is a 45 minute train journey to Glasgow City Centre (the train station is right at the airport, so not too much hassle).

Cheers

Johnny

14/11/2012 at 12:27

Oh I forgot to say that in 2013, in addtition to the race morning registration, we will also be having registration on the Friday night in Milngavie.

16/11/2012 at 08:48

Missed the cut off. Och. On waiting list. Fingers crossed.

16/11/2012 at 11:01

Dude, I am sure you will get in.  Going by the figures for last years race, approx. 100 runners either defer or pull out, so I think that roughly this number of reserve runners will get to run.

Cheers

JF

16/11/2012 at 11:14

Hi Johnny. Cheers. I'm hoping you are right. my own fault for dilly-dallying. I loved the race last year. it was a great day.

16/11/2012 at 14:54

Thanks tigerspaw, really glad I got in as i'm already looking forward to th finish line!

the dude abides, I hope you get in from the waiting list.

19/11/2012 at 20:55

Hi Guy's, this will be my first Fling . I have been told that Inov8, Roclite 315's are a good option for running it. Anyone agree / disagree?

19/11/2012 at 21:42

Hi Paul. you'll have a blast welcome.

sounds fine. people run it in all sorts. saw plenty last year in roadies, but it was good weather.

i favour my LA Sportivas.

19/11/2012 at 22:00

Agree with Dude, you will see people running in all manner of shoes. Many DO favour road shoes as good chunk of trail is hard-packed or forestry but that is a bit scary if it's mega muddy coming off Conic Hill - you'll be doing it on your ar*e!! and lochside can be a bit slithery too. At the moment I'm planning on wearing my Lady Roclite 268s.

20/11/2012 at 20:05

Thanks for the advice, not sure what to wear, run in Kanadias just now off road, however i dont think they will be suitable for 53 miles. I will give it a wee think.

20/11/2012 at 20:40
Lots of time yet to practice and figure it out!

I'm not sure what shoe to try out next. I've been running in Cumulus's for about 10 years and I love them but offroad they just don't last. I killed a nearly new pair at the Lakeland trail marathon this year - need something a bit more robust!
20/11/2012 at 21:20

The two occasions I've done this race before I've worn my Mizuno Wave Ascend and they have been great actually, cushioning for the rocky gnarly stuff and a bit of grip too BUT I've always got bad blisters around my toes from them ... am going to trial them with my Injinji socks but think they are just a bit too wide hence the blisters and I KNOW the Inov8's fit are good (well they did the SDW100 well for me after just a couple of runs beforehand!!) and I got just two blisters off them.  Shoes are always the BIG question aren't they?  I've got some cheap New Balance Minimus I am wearing a bit to work on strengthening my feet in general.

21/11/2012 at 11:13

ive thought about wave ascends because I wear Mizuno (wave inspire) for my road shoe and I love them.

I like the LA Sportivas (comfortable and supportive) but I have noticed they aren't very hard-wearing. they are starting to fall to bits.

21/11/2012 at 11:54

I've got some La Sportiva crosslites but they just don't seem comfortable in the longer runs and are a bit wide so feet slide forward on downhills, a shame as I love the grippy lugs on the bottom. I used to run in the Wave Inspires until start of this year - went to replace and found the newer models are waaaaay roomier than the older styles - I have narrow bony feet. Gutted as I loved those shoes.  I'd say, if you are happy with a shoe with more cushioning that the Inov8 range then the ascends are pretty good actually.

23/11/2012 at 21:54

Well I finally ordered a pair of 315's from Amazon for £59.99!!! Mrs D putting them away for my Christmas. Only a month or so until i can wear them. Ho ho ho.

61 to 80 of 171 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.