Highland Fling

101 to 120 of 171 messages
WiB
27/02/2013 at 15:55

The long range forecast looks pretty good so far for TP so I think it will be a good race.

Sounds ideal, the Fling seems to be great. Only mandatory kit is a foil blanket too Brilliant.

Anyone else flying up? I have an easyjet flight on the Friday, not sure of the time though. Will have to check.

WiB
27/02/2013 at 22:57
I reckon you might as well make use of the drop bag option rather than carrying whatever stuff with you the whole way...
WiB
27/02/2013 at 23:03
I don't plan on carrying much

I will probably make use of one of them though.
WiB
02/03/2013 at 19:40
Paul Dickson 2 wrote (see)

Thanks for all the messages of suport. Unfortunetly, i went out for a quick 5 mile trail run on Sunday and seem to have agrivated the knee. Will give it a wee rest over the next few days (sitting on sofa, having a few beers and choccy). Have a good Christmas everyone.   

Well, had to withdraw after being diagnosed with torn knee cartlidge. Going in for keyhole surgery on 12th March. Gutted, but have asked about marshalling along with Mrs D instead aswei have accomodation booked at Milngarvie the night before the race. Hopefully next year i will be able to take part.

05/03/2013 at 11:37

aw mate sorry to hear that. i hope you manage to manage to marshall as I know that to be fun. and hopefully that will whet your appetite to come back next year.

i live 9 miles from the start so probably not flying a friend has suggested we run to the start as a warm-up

still swithering on the glasgow-edinburgh ultra as a warm-up race. it's a whole lot of canal path though.

drop bag wise I packed too much last year and will undoubtedly do so this year the abolition of the staggered start might affect that, though. last year I neednt have bothered because there were so many 'leftovers' from all the runners ahead of me!

05/03/2013 at 12:01

I'm withdrawing too - just missed out too much of the long runs. I know I could finish but it wouldn't be pretty and recovery would be protracted!!!!

I used drop bags last year - whereas last year I carried most of it. Left plenty in them thogh but was glad to have the option without having to carry it!

05/03/2013 at 12:05

i haven't done any long runs yet

WiB
05/03/2013 at 12:42
the dude abides wrote (see)

i haven't done any long runs yet

Still 7 weekends between now and the race... 14 long runs potentially  

WiB
05/03/2013 at 13:15

that's the spirit!

i'm going to get my Bidie-In to drive me 30 miles from the house on sunday and drop me.

plus i'll be doing a long run on the day

WiB
05/03/2013 at 13:41

Of course... if you include the race itself then you have the chance for 15 long weekend runs. Train for the second half by running the first half?

Hoping to get some solid long training runs in myself. I have had an easy last couple of weeks after a race but I have 1 ultra, 1 marathon and 1 stag do between now and The Fling.

Getting more excited about this race each day

WiB
05/03/2013 at 14:08

it is worthy of excitement - lovely race

05/03/2013 at 15:08

"Train for the second half by running the first half"

Love it. 

05/03/2013 at 20:38

So is it going to be one mass start this year?  If that's the case be prepared for serious congestion for the first few miles.  WiB - make sure you're right at the sharp end to avoid all that.  Stick close to Jez B, if he's running, and you won't go far wrong.

If folks are going to use one drop bag station make it Inversnaid which always seems less busy and you can get in and out of there much quicker.  Rowardennan suffers from half way syndrome with a lot of people hanging about, and Beinglas Farm is fairly chaotic with a lot of tired and uncoordinated runners stopping and trying to get themselves into a state of mind ready for the final leg.  Best to get through those two stations as quickly as possible.

I've done four Flings, two with extensions, and I've really enjoyed every time.  I think it's the cost of the rail fares now and the fact that I want to try other things that will mean I probably won't enter again. I'm also a bit concerned that the field has got too big for the course.

I don't think there's another fairly tough ultra anywhere that's as low key as this, which makes it really refreshing.  No military types doing bag inspections or giving frightening pre-race briefings.

Looking forward to reading the reports.

cragchick - that's a shame you're withdrawing.  Have you got some other events lined up?

05/03/2013 at 20:54

Yup, one mass start. Don't think it'll hold me back any - I'll be setting out as I mean to go on - near the rear of the pack!

Doubt Jez will be running this year seeing as he's just finished running the length of New Zealand over some 50 days!

WiB
05/03/2013 at 21:27
There are a lot of fast runners there this year. Jez isn't on the list though.

Cheers for the tip on drop bag locations, I am thinking of using one of them just for a couple of gels and a snack.
WiB
05/03/2013 at 22:44

T Rex - I've entered the Lairig Ghru race which is end of June (only just an ultra at 27ish miles) but it's local and achievable I hope.

Nothing else entered as yet but will be soon I hope. Just need to get back on top of some training and feel a bit more niggle-free.  Not good start to year as have pulled out of WHW race (logistics of support crew and my niggles) and Dee 33 too ...

Like the look of that Brecon 10 peaks thing actually, but will involve complicated logistics.  I also have a route I want to do which is about 100 miles which starts with the Lairig Ghru and ends up running along coastal path to my back door which I quite fancy for the autumn , some local hill races hopefully. If I had more confidence in my ankle I'd LOVE to do Fellsman but next year I think ...

05/03/2013 at 22:56

I've looked at the Lairig Ghru but wonder how you get back to the start from the finish?     It looks like it would be quickest to run back!!  I thought it was only 17 but perhaps some distance is added on at each end.

06/03/2013 at 11:44

T-Rex - i think there is a bus laid on.

I thought about it but I walked it last year and didn't much enjoy it. too bouldery.

WiB
06/03/2013 at 13:45

Fellsman is on my list too CC. Just seen the Scafell Marathon mid May, that looks quite good.

WiB
06/03/2013 at 19:17

There is definitely a bus laid on - think you park in Aviemore then they bus you down to Braemar.  Actual Lairig Ghru may be just 17 miles but the extra is getting into the pass and out again I guess. Am really looking forward to it.

Scafell marathon sounds good. There are a few longer hill races here which would be good, Two Inns race in August in Glencoe also quite like look of Two Breweries race in autumn, Applecross Duathlon in September and there is an ultra down near Jedburgh in the Autumn too - about 40 miles I think ... so lots of shorter stuff ... and Fellsman next year for me definitely (well as definite as I can be!!).

101 to 120 of 171 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.