Highland Fling

161 to 171 of 171 messages
28/04/2013 at 10:12

Split times are now availble:

http://www.zen31010.zen.co.uk/highlandflingrace/

01/05/2013 at 13:44

Fantastic weekend as always and the weather was amazing  Really pleased with an hours PB ...although I'm still not sure why I had in my mind that the first 19 miles are flat!  

Looking forward to next year already.

04/05/2013 at 20:13

Sorry it's late but well done to everyone, an amazing race day and well tougher then I'd imagined I especially the 2nd half, anyway well done to all and ther organisers probably the best run event I've taken part in even though NEVER AGAIN!

05/05/2013 at 00:58

These are very short reports for such a long event.  Anything dramatic happen?  I'm wondering if WiB accidentally took a tumble into Loch Lomond?  How did the diversions work out?  Did anyone carry on to Fort Bill afterwards?  Was the cowpat section up to its usual standard?  etc, etc.

05/05/2013 at 19:26

From the results it looks like he made it Beinglas Farm ...

Is a course with a sting in it's tale for sure, although for me, I find once I've got to Beinglas (and I struggle with the stretch to there), I really enjoy the last stretch despite the undulations.

New path off Conic Hill this year - how does that seem?

08/05/2013 at 15:39
T Rex wrote (see)

Was the cowpat section up to its usual standard?  etc, etc.

Haha! I came a cropper here. First bunch of cows were negotiated without drama and the path was slimy looking but only a couple of cm deep. Second mucky bit looked pretty much the same so with no-one immediately in front of me to follow I just pointed myself straight across and within two steps sank almost knee deep. Everyone behind me pointed and laughed and took a different path through, coming out the other side with almost spotless trainers. Bas*ards! The shite was weighing me down so much I waded into the next stream to rinse off at the same time as getting a drink. Wonder how much dilute cow poop I ingested...

Edited: 08/05/2013 at 15:39
08/05/2013 at 16:01

This is more like it!  A decent report!

One of the hazards newbies might not have been told about ...  

08/05/2013 at 19:45

Funnily although I was a newbie to the distance I live nearby and have been training up and down the route since the start of the year. Was well aware of Cowpat Alley. So I really had no excuse for ending up knee deep! Speaking of newbies, I got a real chuckle hearing grumbles about the rough terrain from numerous people on the approach to Inversnaid. Couldn't help wondering what they were going to make of the next bit!

The diversion past Drymen was easy enough even though it was a long gradual uphill drag. The new path over Conic made the ascent and descent much easier though lots of folk wish they'd left it the way it was. I didn't hear of any dramas and didn't see the Sea Kings out so assume that there weren't any major problems in that regard.

Weather was perfect - after a week of constant rain it dried up the evening before and was beautiful all day. Sunny but not too warm. The rain held off all day then literally ten minutes after the last runner came in it started pishing down in grand style. Couldn't have been better timed! As far as I know everyone stopped running at the finish, even Donnie Campbell!

08/05/2013 at 21:32

Great story.  Not sure if I'll ever go back to this one but you never know.  

I used to grumble about rough terrain but hopefully I'm getting over it.

08/05/2013 at 22:00

Shows what I daze I usually am in on this race, was struggling to remember the cow pats, but then clear memories of the cows quickly came back - not fond of these animals when running!!

There's only really one stretch of rough terrain really isn't there - the bit lochside, the rest is just usual trail stuff.

Interesting re the path, but often the way with new things.

11/05/2013 at 13:07

Good story.

Happy memories of the cow pats.

www.d2ride.co.uk

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
161 to 171 of 171 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.