How do a plan my training?

My own ultra bimble - how to do it?

12 messages
03/01/2012 at 21:48

So, I'm planning an ultra bimble later this year.  The timing kind of depends on how the next couple of months go, given that I spent December with pneumonia and I'm only back out running since christmas eve.  It'll either be at the end of May or end of October.

The run is 3 days, day 1= 47.2km, day 2= 47.9km, day 3= 20.1km (but has to be completed by 10am)  I'm intending it to be a walk/run and its about completing the distances as a personal challenge, not about times at all.  I'm carrying all my own kit.

I've been running 5 years, pre-pneumonia was running 15-20m per week, up to 10m in longest run, can get back up to HM distance reasonably painlessly.

So, how do I go about planning my training?  Where do I aim for in my longest runs?  What about putting them back to back?  Should I be doing my long runs as a walk/run, given that I'll be doing the bimble that way?

Are there any good books about?  I like a good book...  Otherwise, if you have any experience, please point me in the right direction!

04/01/2012 at 16:06

A good book that i have read is Relentless Forward Progress by Bryon Powell, a whole host of information with training plans, nutrition etc. I am planning on doing my first Ultra this year and will be basing my training on this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Relentless-Forward-Progress-Running-Ultramarathons/dp/1891369903

04/01/2012 at 22:03

Thank you!  That looks great.

I've done a number of marathons, and one ultra on the back of standard marathon training, but I'm a bit  lost at how to train aiming for a ultra.

GKD
04/01/2012 at 22:19
There is, amongst the half a dozen other threads on a similar vein on the first page, a thread called 'wannabe ultra runner' I'd be very surprised if the answers you were looking for aren't in there
GKD
seren nos yn canu    pirate
04/01/2012 at 22:27
definitely do the training run/walk if this is the plan....build up the long run slowly and also build up the next run slowly........so start with a 10 and a 4 slow the next day and then just slowly build up....don't worry about times for now ....time on feet are good for ultras.....
also look at the terrain of the race and try to train on similar......

I always build up and have a cut back week every 4th week just to recoup......

good luck
04/01/2012 at 22:27
It might take me less time to run it than wade through 1648 posts, looking for an answer!
04/01/2012 at 22:28
Thanks Seren
08/01/2012 at 18:50

Good question Wotsit,

I've looked at a couple of planes for my first ultra this year (69miles) and having selected a plan I think one of the major challenges is going to be where I can find the time?!

I work full time like I'm sure most of us do and I have my kids at weekends.

Anyone have any tips?

Do people have tread mills at home?

Edited: 08/01/2012 at 18:57
08/01/2012 at 20:07
I am personally following the Hanson Brothers Plan for my first Ultra. Which suits me as it I run 6 days in a row with my longest run being about 2 hours. Most of my runs are runs are medium intensity and are squeezed in by getting up early or running from home work etc. I also run with my local club once or twice a week for speed work.

In terms of being prepared this is one my favourite articles about becoming an ultra runner

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/you-can-run-an-ultramarathon/
Edited: 08/01/2012 at 20:44
10/02/2012 at 12:23

Oooh, I got spammed.  How... odd.

10/02/2012 at 14:00
 try this link http://www.ultramarathonrunning.com/ loads of info on here,plus races,
10/02/2012 at 19:54

Thank you - that is brilliant   I bought the Ultrarunning book that Ging3r Ninja recommended, which I will get around to reading...

Races? <shudders> I'm not racing if I can avoid it this year.  Pootling and enjoying myself.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.