How long do you spend stretching?

1 to 20 of 46 messages
Garr    pirate
03/12/2007 at 09:55

I seem to get seriously tight muscles whenever I train.  I doesn't matter what distance, how frequently, or what intensity, if the muscles are in use, they start going really tight.  The only way I seem to be able to keep myself from having painfully tight muscles is to stretch everything (shoulders, chest, lats, lower back, and of course all of my leg muscles) for about 30min in the morning, and then again in the evening, every day.

Does everyone have to stretch this much or are some people more susceptible to developing tight muscles than others are? 

03/12/2007 at 10:00

I hardly ever stretch - I used to do a bit at the end of a gym session - but I haven't been to the gym for years.

03/12/2007 at 10:02
same here - hardly ever stretch
Garr    pirate
03/12/2007 at 10:03
In fact, does anyone know if there's any connection to what foods you eat?  I'm clutching at straws a bit, but I really wish the tightness of my muscles didn't restrict me.
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
03/12/2007 at 10:10
Harldy ever stretch.

03/12/2007 at 10:11
Ive noticed im a lot less flexible than a few years ago. I used to be able to bend forwards and lay my palms flat on the floor, these days its a effort to touch my toes.

Something to work on perhaps?
Holly_Golightly    pirate
03/12/2007 at 10:18

I stretch my legs before and after each session and stretch my calves every morning whether training or not. 

I do also suffer a lot from cramp which happens more when I don't stretch, and I take medication for that.  If I don't take it, I suffer.  I'm also a great advocate of salt!  Apparently you sweat more potassium than sodium so Lo salt is better for you as it has equal proportion of sodium and potassium. 

cougie    pirate
03/12/2007 at 10:19

Is that because of your cycling Barley ? That shortens the muscles in the back of the legs.

And I'm with the hardly any stretching league here. Basically only when I've done a spin class or run with others - I'll do some stretches then.

My wife will stretch for 10 mins before going out - but she's clearly insane.

03/12/2007 at 10:21
barlist - you are seeing the downside of advancing years......less flexibility

I do a Pilates class on Monday's and some of the stretches are now impossible for me as I just don't have the joint or muscle flexibility I used to have
03/12/2007 at 10:22
Ah I didnt realise that Cougie, thats probably the reason then, its deff only been in the last 3-4 years that the change has happened.
03/12/2007 at 10:23
Ive been meaning to do Pilates for ages. Im not able to attend the classes at my current gym as the timings are all wrong but will be changing gyms in the new year.
03/12/2007 at 10:28
I hardly ever stretch and sometimes get tightness..I know this sounds mad, but at my gym we have these foam..damn! don't know what they're called - will ask! They're foam cylinders..really big and you can roll your legs..various parts of your body on these things are they straighten everything out. It's a bit like a sports massage..when your doing it, can feel a bit of pain, but after it's amazing! I'll have a look online...
03/12/2007 at 10:30
Pilates all depends on the trainer as well - we've had 4 this year and they all have different approaches so we're probably going to can it in the New year and do our own thing at home with some DVD's to follow........we have enough of the basics now.....

the upside of classes though is the discipline as you've paid so you go!! is too easy to opt out at home
03/12/2007 at 10:31
MG - amazingly they're called foam rollers.....
03/12/2007 at 10:33

ah ha! 'Foam Rollers' big thumbs up!

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/1801/foamrolleritb3op7.jpg

Holly_Golightly    pirate
03/12/2007 at 10:34

Muffin girl, is this what you mean?

foam rollers

They are fantastic.  I use one for my ITB stretches.

03/12/2007 at 10:35
FB
03/12/2007 at 10:35
Yeah Holly Garr I would go for those!!
Garr    pirate
03/12/2007 at 10:36

I know what you're talking about Muffin Girl.

Ok, I'm actually relatively flexible, I can still reach down and put my knuckles on my toes, but never-the-less, my hamstrings (and lots of other muscles) are still feeling very tight.  They cramped a couple of times over the weekend while I was doing virtually nothing.

Anna, I eat loads of bananas anyway (good source of potassium).

I'm beginning to think I've just got naturally tight muscles.  It's not my imagination.  I can feel the areas of tightness when I rub them.

Oh well, stop complaining Garr.  At least you can still run!

03/12/2007 at 10:36
I stretch for about 15 minutes after every session. I also get PNF'd twic e a week, it aint pleasant but it works.
1 to 20 of 46 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.