How long to rest after an ultra

1 to 20 of 28 messages
24/06/2014 at 21:31

So I completed my first ultra a few days ago , yey . 69 miles over 2 days . 

My question is what do I do now ? Rest ? Gentle run? 

Im a bit lost . I presume running club tomorrow is a bad idea ? 

PSC    pirate
24/06/2014 at 21:50

nothing too heroic for a few weeks and you should feel fine.  You will probably find that you've got nothing in your legs for a bit.  Typically it's a mile a day before full recovery but for a multi day event i would say that only applies to the second day.  There is no harm in running - active recovery is good.

24/06/2014 at 22:10

I would say listen to your own body.  If you feel that you will be OK for the club run tomorrow, then there is no particular reason why you should not give it a go. 

My philosophy is to be disciplined in my preparations for a race, and do what the hell I feel like once the race is out of the way.  Its not like you need to do it again next weekend!

24/06/2014 at 22:43

Thanks guys , this is all new territory so all suggestions appreciated . 

25/06/2014 at 18:34

Was it the Round The Island Ultra?  In which case congratulations on being able to move!!

25/06/2014 at 21:31

Nope it was the hadrians wall ultra .  Which Island was the other one around ? 

25/06/2014 at 22:09

Isle of Wight.

Congrats on the Wall! 

26/06/2014 at 22:19

If I'm not carrying an injury, i'll be right back in the saddle. I try and have about 3/4 days off then back at it. It is hard running on tired legs but you soon get back into it.

GKD
27/06/2014 at 17:44
Run when and how you feel after a race. Its not rocket science
GKD
27/06/2014 at 20:23

Well actually GKD there is science to it just not the rocket kind but thank you for your helpful comment . 

27/06/2014 at 20:26

Dill thanks for your comment , sounds like you do these a lot . Right back to the trails tomorrow it is 

27/06/2014 at 21:13

I think GKD was being helpful, he has learnt from experience that there is no formula, or set number to follow, as with most things in this sport, listening to your body and going by feel is usually the way to go.

27/06/2014 at 21:29

Come on Tiago nobody has explained that GKD is as subtle as a house brick to the face.

27/06/2014 at 21:45

Oh I see , that explanation as well as being polite also makes sense so thank you . 

28/06/2014 at 04:29

He does has his own approach to advice

28/06/2014 at 18:57

I completed the round the island multi day last Sunday and the legs felt good to go by Wednesday. A sore foot, however, has kept me off the trails and I'm beginning to wonder if it's more than just a bit of bruising...

GKD
29/06/2014 at 21:19

Sorry, I didn't realise this was a science based question. As Dill says I have a particular way of expressing myself that to those who don't know me could come across as rude. Or I'm just rude. Either one.

So anyway, when I see a question like this posted here my initial reaction is kinda like this. 1. If you want an anecdotal answer then the best I can give you is an expansion of my earlier one. There is no set formula. Run when and how you feel able to unless you're training for something specific and you want to train on dead legs.

2. If you want a scientific answer then you'll need to provide far more information than you have. Far more. I don't know you, nether does anyone else here, how are we supposed to give you a complete answer that's anything else other than based on what's worked for us from the information you've given. You might as well have said I've heard breathing is a good idea in an ultra, should I?

GKD
30/06/2014 at 06:53

Ok GKD , the reason for asking this question was

a) this was my first ultra

b) after running a marathon in May ( which was by far from my first) I sustained a ? Stress fracture . Every person I saw since whilst injured said " well of course you shouldn't have started running again so soon after the marathon , you should have had x number of days off per mile of running ". I had felt fine at the time and was happy to be running again , no niggles etc but that first run back put me on the injury bench for 5 weeks . 

So this time I thought I would just check that there wasn't some general rule everyone followed before I lept back into it .

GKD
30/06/2014 at 10:39
There isn't. Bear in mind whenever you ask a question here that the answers will come from a range of people with a huge range of backgrounds and experience. Some will have done hundreds of ultras some not one. Some will know their sports intimately and some will be complete Muppets.
However, none of them will be you. You are the on my person with the information required to make an informed decision about your body. Listen to your body and you won't go far wrong and try to remember rest is just as important as training
GKD
WiB
30/06/2014 at 13:36

I am with GKD on this. Rest until you want to and can run again without issue. Nothing is gained from forcing yourself back into training, give your body the chance to and it will repair itself at an incredible rate. Rush it back and it will let you know soon enough.

You cannot put a accurate number on it. There are too many variables.

WiB
1 to 20 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.