How much do you run?

Just want to pick all your brains

1 to 20 of 43 messages
02/07/2013 at 16:44

How many miles do you run a week?

More specifically how much do you run a week training for a 50k, 100k, 100 miler etc

Also how many of you do not specifically train for an event but put in consistant miles each week IE enough to be able to enter an event and be sure to do ok? Like I have been doing. I do 30-40 miles a week and would be happy entering any 50k and would be moderately sure of getting round in an ok time.

Just thought I would gain massively to get an idea of what the more experienced ultra runners do. I know once you have got the miles in your legs, that counts for a lot and perhaps wouldn't need to put in the miles as much as a newbie like me

Please don't shoot me down

02/07/2013 at 16:50
I'm training for my second 50k and am doing the same mileage as marathon training (50-65 miles per week), Just running them on terrain similar to the race rather than just the roads for the marathon.
I've got my first 50 miler next yr but not decided on a plan for that yet.
02/07/2013 at 17:01

There is no hard and fast rule on this. 

A novice ultra runner, will need a more structured training programme than somebody who has been doing it for a few years.  Also, a person who does a lot of events will have to work them into their training programme, and might end up slingshotting one event off another. 

I will typically put in an 80 mile week preparing for the very hardest events, and my biggest week ever was 108 miles or there abouts.  Some people have done the Grand Union Canal Race on 30 miles a week training, though I don't necessarily recommend that you try. 

In your case, I assume that you are thinking about K&A Canal Race.  If you outline what you are doing now, then we could suggest possible directions for developing your training plan. 

GKD
02/07/2013 at 17:12

Vicar there's a wannabe thread running that, whilst unweildy, contains answers to everything that you're asking.

Whilst I wouldn't recommend everyone try to learn everything about running from the internet there's those, like yourself, that seems to find it a kind of comfort blanket to post every thought that travels through their head. 

For what it's worth, and as a stand alone fact it's entirely worthless, I tend to run somewhere between 30 and 80 miles a week depending on how I feel when I wake up, what my work load is like, what part of the training cycle I'm in and what my tea leaves say in the bottom of my cup

GKD
02/07/2013 at 17:29

Not sure I'd class my self as experianced yet, but.... I'm in the always doing something camp. I don't just start a training plan 12-15 weeks before an event like some shorter distance road runners do, I keep a baseline mileage all year and build steadily to peak before an event. Keeps me more on an even standing and less of a shock on the body (hardly any time out through injury). And I find winter is a great time to develop leg strength on muddy or ice/snow-covered trails on reasonably low mileage, so why stay home and let your fitness evaporate. I don't do the kind of miles Millsy or Ben top out at btw. Last few years where I have been fairly regularly running 50+ mile events, my average mpw over whole year have been 35, 37, 44 and this year is about 36 at present. I usually peak at 50-80 mpw 3-5 weeks before the main event I'm training for (mostly 50-70 milers in the last two years).

Per above some people do quite a lot more miles per year and/or at peak and I know people who've done far less preparing for events than I have and have completed where I haven't (I know of a guy who recently completed Hardmoors 110 on low mileage training due to niggly injury). As we know a lot of ultra running is in the head, the content of the miles counts as much as the number of - I do lots of hills as events I train for have lots of hills, which reduces my mpw a bit, but that doesn't concern me. And if I can complete an event like Hardmoors 55 early in the year then I don't do that many long training runs above 30 miles the rest of the year - I tend to just run a long event every few months to keep my muscle memory fresh.

02/07/2013 at 17:34

12 miles per day because I can!

02/07/2013 at 17:58

You could replace one of your daily threads with a run.

02/07/2013 at 20:34

Search for the paper the guy doing the research on SDW100 runners last year wrote, I can't remember where I found it but it shouldn't be hard to find. That will tell you more than you'll glean from asking here. From memory there was no correlation between number of training miles and success in the race, and most people ran about 50 miles each week.

02/07/2013 at 21:09
GKD wrote (see)

Vicar there's a wannabe thread running that, whilst unweildy, contains answers to everything that you're asking.

'UNWEILDY'??!!

Uncle Lirish , i never intended that thread to be totally serious yknow, but id like to think we dont talk total utter twonk on it ......not daily anyway

02/07/2013 at 22:27

Tigs  maybe he runs,  posts on here and navigates all at yhe same time. 

02/07/2013 at 22:44

50-75 mpw depending on target race. Keep a good base mileage so I'm good to race up to HM at anytime. Not much more for an ultra (have had a couple 100+ weeks) but a higher percentage of the mileage will be long runs.eg back to back long runs and a tempo + intervals. Marathons generally one long and a couple medium instead.

03/07/2013 at 06:44

Many Thanks to those who answered much appreciated. I just think its good to be able to gauge where I am heading. It's all well and good doing loads of reading etc but invariably most of the stuff you get hold of is elite athletes at the top of their game banging out 150-200+ a week. I was just curious as to what a normal bod with all the pressures of daily life managed.

Also apologies to those of you who I seem to be taking up your valuable time. You were new to this once and I expect you had an outlet for all your new questions. I however do not, I thought an internet forum was for asking questions?

GKD
03/07/2013 at 08:26

Vicar how valuable has the info contained here actually been? Genuinely asking here.  We're all individuals, we all need to find our own way antether only way to do it is by making your own choices and mistakes. Find what works for you by trial and error.

Obviously I can't speak for anyone else but my objection to threads like this is simple. The questions here have been asked and answered many times before, what you're doing by posting threads rather than searching for the answers is basically saying my time is more important than yours. I want you to take the time to answer my questions rather than me taking the time to find the answers myself. Some here are happy to do that but I'm more of the happy to help those who help themselves  type.

I've said it before and no doubt I'll say it again. If you search out an answer to a question and genuinely can't find shat you're looking for I'll be happy to help within my limited experience, I'll write you a programme if it helps. What I don't like doing is writing the same thing over and over because people object to doing the basics for themselves 

GKD
WiB
03/07/2013 at 08:39

Mileage is irrelevant... How many GUs can you eat for breakfast?

WiB
03/07/2013 at 08:48

Well don't answer the post then, your not obligated to answer, seems you just like sounding off!!!!

Its a genuine question on an open forum..

GKD
03/07/2013 at 09:00

Well that's the beautiful thing about the Internet, it's open for everyone to register their opinion and we all know what opinions are like

GKD
03/07/2013 at 09:14

I really dont want to get into any arguments on here. Yes I might be able to get the answers on here or elsewhere. If anybody has any question I can answer I will answer it. I have experience of running shorter races and will always help out somebody in the beginners forum. Arguably I could post this question on the beginners forum....could be a fair point but I thought the Ultra forum would be more suited. Trust me I have many more questions But it's good to know how other people get on with what they are doing, yes I know one size doesn't fit all. I agree too that it has a lot to do with trial and error and I have learnt massively from that.

I am extremely new to this and I just want to be the best I can be at it. I have gained so much help from these forums that I do look to them for help advice and support.

03/07/2013 at 09:34

I usually run 5-6 miles Tuesday - Thursday and then 20+ Saturday and 12-20 Sunday. It depends how I am feeling really. I like doing events but worry sometimes that by 'training' for events I am running just to do them rather than to enjoy the running.

I have no interest in winning events or even trying to get a PB, I just like to run rather than train. Some more thoughts on it here in case you are interested.

GKD
03/07/2013 at 09:52

Fairy nuff

GKD
pmo
03/07/2013 at 10:46

If you're relatively new to distance running, don't be in a hurry to put in big mileage weeks. I ran for a few years at 20-30 miles per week as it's all I had time for, and all my body could cope with.

No point in railing against those who spend their time not contributing to threads TV, it's the way of things here. You could do worse than try another forum - fetcheveryone is way more friendly

pmo
1 to 20 of 43 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.