How to tell your friends and family that you are going to run a 100 miler!

21 to 40 of 60 messages
07/05/2012 at 14:09

Personally I'm at the stage where I don't care what the present Mrs Rocker thinks or says.... hence it's not a problem LOL. My mother panics when I tell her i'm doing a half marathon, so introducing her to the concept of ultras this year has been interesting - but to be fair I tend not to listen to her anyway 'cos she's barmy

07/05/2012 at 21:12

Just tell the wife to grab my kit she's crewing again

07/05/2012 at 21:51

I found when I mentioned to people that I was entered for a 100 mile race I might of well said it in Welsh as no one understood what I was talking about.

For most people who do not run, a marathon is a silly question i.e I live in Bristol when I say to people running a marathon is like setting out now and running to Weston Super Mare they look at me as I am mad. Times that but by nearly four marathons and they can't comprehend what I just said, hence talking Welsh!!

Anyhow I ran the TP100 and loved every minute of it even the hypothermia at the end !!

08/05/2012 at 08:59

I've had people that flatly refused to believe me when I say I've run 100 miles in a day.

Are you doing TP again next year Louismaxy? I'm tempted again. Might bump into you again! 

08/05/2012 at 09:14

This is a tricky one for me, as it is not the concept of running a 100 miles that troubles my family. But they know how much training is going to be required and that is more of an issue! I am starting to try and adjust my training time so that I will run to work and run home etc as a way of increasing the number of miles that I run a week, without it impacting on family life.

As for other people, I like discussing Ultras with like minded people online or at my running club. For non runners I liken Ultras to people that like to ramble and walk for long distances, accept that we prefer to jog

08/05/2012 at 09:18

It has been quite good fun seeing the reactions of fellow clubmates - as a predominantly road running club, with an emphasis on 10k to Marathon, it's quite good fun to describe a 40 mile run around Sherwood Forest for example, let alone 57 miles around the Peak District!

08/05/2012 at 09:58

I am in this difficult situation now - i had my eyes on the TP100 for next year.  Runnng had been a contentious subject for just over a year now with my OH, before that it wasn't an issue for some reason.  I was running before I met him, I guess maybe i began to train a little harder and push myself a little more. 

I've mentioned the TP100 a few times and the atmosphere suddenly goes very cold - he can't resent the training hours, as I fit them in around my daily commute (he works late anyway and he always come home to a clean house and dinner on the table). 

He says his concern is that i never know when to stop - he wants to know when will i have enough?  Will I be able to stop at 100 miles or will i want to go further?  And I cant promise that I won't. 

His lack of support has already made me feel obliged to cancel my Ironman effort for this year, and now the half ironman too.  Doing this without his support is miserable.

He runs himself, although "only" 2-3 marathons a   year, and he's a better runner than me too - a sub 3 marathon is easy for him.  However i cant persuade him to try ultras, i think he sees them as dangerous and inviting injury - despite the fact ive actually been injury free for well over a year (*touches all wood available*). 

I've just returned from a multi-day (2 days, 64 miles) and things were a little bit rocky on my return, i won first lady but he really wasn't interested. 

I guess maybe he has a point, maybe i should set myself a limit? Enjoying this thread though, nice to hear from others in the same boat.

08/05/2012 at 11:59

Katie - that's a sad and difficult position to be in, and one appreciate and understand...

All I can say is - it's a lot easier to achieve your targets and dreams if you have support, someone who understands, who wants to stand behind you and push, or in front of you and pull...

Only you know whether other parts of life make up for this - it sounds like running is a very large part of you, who you are, and who you want to be... if that's the case then you should feel like that part of you is as important as the rest of you.

Oh, and congrats on your win yesterday!!!!

08/05/2012 at 13:08
See you there hillheader want to break 24 hours the weather caught me out this year and will defo figure in trial shoes !
08/05/2012 at 13:09
I can't believe some of the comments on here! If someone 'pulls their weight' when it comes to family/home/financial stuff or whatever and their hobby isn't actually dangerous it amazes me how anyone can be unsupportive
08/05/2012 at 14:16

Katie - congratulations from the last lady (assume it was the Pony Express).  Sorry about your reception - it must have put quite a damper on your great achievement.  The only thing I have to watch is not taking any post event feelings/exhaustion out on him.  I had the journey from Hell home and had to take a couple of deep breaths to stop me arriving home and start ranting at the slightest thing.  Fortunately 'im and the cat looked so contented my bad temper evaporated.

08/05/2012 at 14:28

Morticia - in my case it's because my wife is older than me, and is afraid my getting fitter/healthier will leave her behind, and to be fair it is beginning to get that way!

08/05/2012 at 14:32

Diamonds

The explanation is always diamonds

08/05/2012 at 15:08

With regard to the question "when will you ever draw the line?", there are ways to tackle that one. 

I just told my family that there are no single stage races longer than 100 miles give or take, and refer to longer races such as Viking way as "100 milers". 

Unable to differentiate the difficulties posed by one 100 mile event relative to another, they then assume that you are already operating at the theoretical plateau. 

08/05/2012 at 15:39

Last year the conversation at our house went something along the lines of...

"Darling, I think I might like to do a 100mile run next year, but I'm not sure whether I should"

"You've done a couple of 50milers, so I'd say go for it, by the way I was thinking of a 10k open water swim and an Ironman"

"I'll join you for the Ironman, but not sure about the 10k swim, is there a 5k option ?"

"Yes, but you're just being a wuss and are frightened of being 'chicked' in the swim again..."

08/05/2012 at 16:24

Glad I'm not alone with this issue.

Chocolate and flowers are cheaper than diamonds!

08/05/2012 at 20:55
The when will enough be enough issue is one I very much recognise along with the your disciplined enough to run ultras but can't be arsed to change a sodding lightbulb! As I push toward TR24 I can feel the tension grow however luckily I do know MRS S will be proud of my achievement, handbags are the currency of choice and usually help thaw the frost. MdS places open for 2014 soon though, now that really will test spousal harmony, time to find the Hermes brochure methinks.
08/05/2012 at 21:06

I'm still thinking that single is the way to go.... or find a sportswoman, doesn't have to be a runner, but someone who understands....

Any of the women on this thread? Oh no, I remember, you're all telling us how to get round your other halves!

09/05/2012 at 07:52

This is a tricky thread for me to read. I recently ran a PB marathon in preperation for my next Ultra. My PB was at the MOTN and I was the fatest finsher for my club. My PB does not count me as great marathon runner. But it was good enough to finish 13th in a big field. I am oalso over the moon with how I ran. This was my first ever road mararthon.

My wife is delighted for me, and as it was a local event it was the first time she has been able to come and support me at a run. She is now asking me just the question you are now discussing. What next? For me I have 2 more Ultras planned this year (My 100 miler is next year). So for me the next is to stick to what I promised at the begining of the year and only the events that had "approval".

I know  thart Alistair and I have discussed setting up some FatAss runs and these seem to go down better with my wife. When I say I am meeting up with a few friends to go running, it get less reaction to when I am entering a formal race.

I have no answers to this, just happy to share my perspective on what is a difficult subject for me,

09/05/2012 at 10:37

I am not sure I will ever do a 100 miler, just seems like agony but may change my mind when I do a 50 miler then 100K. 

21 to 40 of 60 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.