How to tell your friends and family that you are going to run a 100 miler!

61 to 70 of 70 messages
19/05/2012 at 20:39

Yup my Chinese wife tells me it's an insult to her as a wife that I have lost several stone since we got married and my mother in law looks like she will instantaneously combust each year when we visit and I have lost a little more.

Still I am fitter, healthier and happier than at any point previously and plan on improving some more too.

What it leaves in fairness is a pretty good natured guerilla war whereby MRS S stocks the cupboard, fridge and freezer with all my favourite 'bad' snacks arranges friends visits and our family 'schedule' to conflict as best she can to disrupt my running schedule and I counter by getting up earlier running later and book more events. So far so good it remains good natured.

03/06/2012 at 13:17

Weight loss! not a problem I have, I went from 13st to 14st in my first year of Marathon training and am stuck steadfast on 13st 10, 8 marathons in 8 months and I've lost 4 pounds. Hate to think what'll happen if I stop

03/06/2012 at 15:09
I stopped running for 2 weeks recently cos of injury and I lost 2kg. I persume that my appetite reduced.
12/06/2012 at 10:18

Well the theoretical just turned to reality, just grabbed a confirmed place for 2014 Marathn des Sables, just need to tell MRS S now .... so if I might trouble you, my fellow forumites for a just a few moments positive thoughts, if you could face in the general direction of Nottingham and send that positive vibe my / my wife's way about 8PM tonight I will be forever in your debt!

12/06/2012 at 10:48

Ha ha - practice it, talk about the TV and the soaps and just casually add "and by the way that 100 mile run I told you about, I'm going to have to do it" then run...

12/06/2012 at 11:14

So, not just any old 100-miler then...

12/06/2012 at 13:47

Oh wow Alistair - good luck!!!! TBH I think I'd just go straight in there and not beat around the bush, and then you've got a fair while to deal with any fallout, but at least you can say you've laid it straight on the line!!!  Actually, it's such an awesome and well-known/respected event that I think even my hubby would buy into my participating in something like that!!

12/06/2012 at 13:58

All - Thanks, don't forget +ve vibes washing over Nottingham @ 8PM.

I have said that I would do it if I could get in so shouldn't be too big a surprise still its one thing when its a maybe another all together when its a £3.5k, 8 days away from home definite.

I think the compromise will be less other events 2013 / 2014 to put some balance back in family life. 

Anyway still can't stop smiling. I know its not everyone's cup of tea as a race but for me it's so far beyond what I previously could possiby have been able to conceive doing @ 40 years of age having spent life up to my late 30's as a 17st beer monster.

14/06/2012 at 20:26

Thank-you all, the positive vibes must have found there way through the clouds to Mansfield! Begrudging acceptance is how I would charecterise te reaction. I can build on that, I hope.  Mind you I am perhaps being lulled into a false sense of security suspect revenge may be costy and hand bag shaped.

14/06/2012 at 20:40

If it's just hand bag shaped then I think you have done well. Agree that probably trying to work on balance in family life is the key thing. Glad you've broken the news though and it's looking reasonably +++

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
61 to 70 of 70 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.