James Martin

First rate tosspot

101 to 109 of 109 messages
14/10/2009 at 11:41

Disappointing outcome from the Press Complaints Commission arrived in my inbox today. Apparently encouraging people to run cyclists off the road is not technically in breach of anything. It's just immoral, irresponsible and small minded, which is perfectly ok by them.

So we'll just have to go back to calling him a tosspot.

cougie    pirate
14/10/2009 at 11:49
I was calling him that before I knew he even had a motoring column.
His attempt at the Mille Miglia that was on TV at xmas was very funny. I dont think he intended it that way. The tosspot.
Kanga M    pirate
14/10/2009 at 21:41
Think a winter training around and around and around Petworth is on the cards ...
14/10/2009 at 22:23

Yeah, I just got the same thing from the PCC.

Apparently he's entitled to his opinion, they sez. Personally, I think being entitled to an opinion should be subject to passing a few basic intelligence tests, but then the DM wouldn't have any journalists at all, so...

How toothless are the PCC? They said in the letter they had 500 complaints. 500 complaints and he doesn't even get so much as a slapped wrist. 

Kanga M    pirate
15/10/2009 at 19:06

So he's allowed to opine that deliberately running random cyclists into a hedge is great sport, but imagine the outcry if you were to change the word cyclist for (in no particular order) MP/woman/asylum seeker/muslim/vicar/child/pantomime horse - you be racist/sexist/horsist etc ...

Clearly the cycling cause, however green, isnt PC enough for the PC brigade. We should book the Pirate Xmas party of one of his poncy restaurants and show up en masse in lycra .... or just not show up

Trogs    pirate
15/10/2009 at 19:14
Should he ever actually manage to knock a cyclist off there bike though, perhaps his published views might work against him in any subsequent legal proceedings
15/10/2009 at 19:20

Trogs, in the article he claimed that the sight of the cyclist he'd snuck up on and beeped at tottering into the hedge made his day....

Not sure they ever found those cyclists though - the CTC wanted to launch legal action and was calling for them to come forward.

So he's either a tosspot or a lying tosspot.   

18/10/2009 at 19:01
We could all wear pirate kit 2-3 sizes smaller than what does actually fit, that would scare him,  OH i do already Artful Hen was saying about organising a pirate social ride during the winter and she lives near Winchester
18/10/2009 at 19:14
what a tit and a tart

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
101 to 109 of 109 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.