Anyone doing either of these?

21 to 40 of 144 messages
29/05/2012 at 10:48

SP - you should be in that window quite easily I reckon
As long as you do some training, obviously

Edited: 29/05/2012 at 10:49
WiB
29/05/2012 at 10:53

SP - It was a warm one last year. Which meant feet stayed dry and the night running was perfect temp! I wouldn't mind the same again this year After 100 miles that descent into Coniston seemed neverending!

WiB
29/05/2012 at 14:00

It's the path up from the last CP that seemed neverending to me

Suffolk Punch    pirate
01/06/2012 at 12:26

Training - pah! Overrated nonsense!

On our reccie over Easter, a ferocious wind tried desparately to rip me and my mate off the hillside by the old quarries from the final CP.

I see there's a full moon expected on 2nd August, so if it's a clear sky it'll be easier () to do the final descent in the dark. Though I think that's wishfull thinking I'll be far along before dawn!

Yes - of course I meant 55 degF!!!

06/06/2012 at 16:06

If you're still running on the 2nd then you may have got lost.

Unfortunately, while the moon on Saturday will be getting close to full, it also sets at 00:22am so will probably be useless for anyone running overnight. It was pretty much the same last year.

muv
26/06/2012 at 15:07

Me and a friend are thinking of doing the 50 next year.  We've just done The Wall over 2 days (69 miles) and previously, other than a fair number of off-road marathons,  have only done a 30 miler.  We finished The Wall strong and fair buzzing and are now keen to start planning the next adventure 

This was recommended but looking at the website it looks a pretty tough one - we're game for a laugh but what do you guys think?  Is it a good idea to give it a go,  or do you think we need a bit more experioence at ultras first?   All advice/opinions welcome!!

muv
WiB
26/06/2012 at 15:17

Muv - The Lakeland races are fantastic. Some of the best running you will find on our island is in the Lake District after all. I would say do it for sure, you have 13 months to prepare It is possible to walk the 50 within the cut off time so you are not going to be troubled with cutoff times unless you have a navigational disaster. That in mind, a recce of the course is recommended as it is not marked... but what better way to spend a weekend than running some great trails with your mates. Get stuck in.

WiB
26/06/2012 at 17:07

With five weeks to go, I am receptive to any advice WIB!

Unfortunately it will not be possible for me to recce the course before the event. 

muv
26/06/2012 at 18:34

Thanks WIB, that's just what I wanted to hear   I think we'll try to give it a go and see how we do - a bit of a lesson in navigating from a friend who's a scout leader might be in order and then off we go!!

Good luck to everyone doing it this year - enjoy!!

muv
WiB
26/06/2012 at 20:08

Are you on facebook Ben? Their is a guy who has posted videos highlighting important navigational points on the Lakeland 100 facebook page. They are pretty handy especially if you have the roadbook to hand as well...

When are you getting up there mate? I am up there early afternoon on Thur.

WiB
27/06/2012 at 02:45

Well, I've had lots of long emails about recce days and training info, etc, but nothing about the actual race yet.  What will we get before the event? And when?

Some sort of map would be good.

27/06/2012 at 07:02
You collect your road book and Harvey map at registration, Trex. Happy to email pdfs of last year's, if you'd like - just PM me
WiB
27/06/2012 at 10:22

Race is dead easy mate. Turn up, get weighed, kit check, grab number/map/roadbook. Go for a run.

You can see the roadbook in advance on the competitors area of the website.

WiB
27/06/2012 at 12:57

The map is in the competitors area too - although it's now linked through to a mapping site rather than downloadable PDFs like last year. The website has everything you really need for the day and Marc L has just posted a list of what food is at the checkpoints on the L100 blog.

The videos that WiB was talking about were by John Kynaston and are on his blog and YouTube. Sarah Wilde has also posted some OS map fly throughs on YouTube (these are really damn clever)

The map book is really good - it helped me get all the way to Mardale without any issues and I didn't do any Recces at all last year. I guess it might also depend on how confident you are in your navigation skills though.

27/06/2012 at 12:59

Direct link to the online map: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=114

27/06/2012 at 16:34

Thanks guys. 

Some really good stuff here. 

I am on face book and if anybody wants to fiend me for ultra running purposes, my email address is bedavies@ntlworld.com

27/06/2012 at 18:42

Have you joined the FB group, Ben? https://www.facebook.com/groups/119709248044092/

27/06/2012 at 21:10

I have now!

Cheers. 

27/06/2012 at 21:19
Sent you a request Ben as we seem to be crossing paths a bit this year......
WiB
27/06/2012 at 22:34

Just seen you on there Ben... sent you a request.

WiB
21 to 40 of 144 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.