Lakeland 50/100

Anyone doing either of these?

81 to 100 of 144 messages
30/07/2012 at 23:54

I honestly think that having done three other 100 milers, is less useful in this event than being accustomed to the terain!

31/07/2012 at 08:11

Ben, just wanted to say well done on finishing - very impressive

It's on my list for next year - but i'm doing the 50 first!

31/07/2012 at 08:18

ben well done indeed...i dont think its event to enter lightly or without a massive amount of prep. like you say i think its a case of being used to the terrain there and the different surface. you got there , started and completed come hell or high water and i for one am in awe of yourself and everyone who did the 50 OR 100!!.

31/07/2012 at 12:04

It's been great reading the other reports and comments from the past weekend. I've written something up myself and it is posted over on TriTalk.

Edited: 31/07/2012 at 12:08
Suffolk Punch    pirate
31/07/2012 at 13:29

Well now, having nowhere to train in Essex for what the Lakeland throws at you made this the real challenge. Some of the descents were as evil as the ascents, only for different reasons. Missed my main target of getting to Ambleside by 9pm and arrived at 10:30pm, albeit to a rather large and inebriatred crowd that I was very tempted to join. However that would have meant that my team partner would have had to carry on alone...

I was shivering uncontrollably at the Tilberthwaite cp in the rain, made worse by the strengthening wind, and couldn't keep my cup of tea steady and missed my mouth on several occasions!

Eventually we made it down that awful drop into Coniston in daylight and finished just before 6am.

Loved every minute of it, intend to return, just not next year as I have other plans.

Well done to everyone who completed both the 50 and 100, commiserations if you didn't and remember one thing - you are all legends!

03/08/2012 at 19:58

Well done SP - I knew you'd enjoy it
I managed a 2 hour PB for the 50 course, which was nice as I 'lost' an hour or so helping out a mate who was unwell heading over the top to Haweswater - very selfish of him

03/08/2012 at 21:17

I had a stretch session today, which was excruciating.  I am thinking that I might be able to do a race in late August early September, but we will see. 

The great thing about having arguably been in the two toughest single stage ultra's of the U.K this year, is that the year can only get easier from here!

Edited: 03/08/2012 at 21:18
06/08/2012 at 12:20

Awesome race, absolutely loved it. finished sub 28hrs. Didnt enjoy the drive to gatwick and flight to italy on sunday afternoon though... Thank you to ALL involved. Brilliantly organised.

08/08/2012 at 01:27

Anyone know when the results go up?  Surprising they're not there already. Or perhaps they're on another website.

Next up NDW 100 where I'm looking for about 26-27 hours.  No smashed rocks as far as I know.

08/08/2012 at 07:56

The results have been accessible since the event. You need to follow the below link, which can be found on the home page. 

Follow competitors live during the Montane Lakeland 50&100 mile events.

Using SI live monitoring, you are able to follow competitors live throughout their journey on the Montane Lakeland 50 and 100 mile events. To go to the live event page CLICK HERE

09/08/2012 at 00:29

Thanks, sk.  Couldn't see the link for that from the event website.

I was about half way down the field after all, which was surprising.  But then I suppose a lot of the competitors were actually walkers (as opposed to runners who became walkers?!)

12/08/2012 at 22:06

Anyone know the date for 2013? Is it always the last weekend in July? I want to make Lakeland 50 my main target for next year and want the date as soon as possible to make sure I don't get committed to anything else that will clash...

13/08/2012 at 07:00

DB - Always last weekend in July. Entries open 1st Sept. Good luck.  

13/08/2012 at 09:08

Stephen: Thanks for that information. Appropriate training isn't going to be easy, since I'm stuck living in SE London/Kent, but it was reading about the Lakeland 50 that got me thinking about running ultras.

AndrewSmith    pirate
13/08/2012 at 10:50

Debra, I live in Biggin Hill SE london/Kent and I can tell you there are plenty of places to train. Plus what better excuse for a holiday to the lakes than to recce the course

13/08/2012 at 12:20

Andrew. Okay, I live just down the road from you (Beckenham) and run with Striders of Croydon. So, hills I have access to, if not nearly so scenic, but not I think of the same technical level of difficulty as in the Lake District. Suggestions of where to train for (a) the ascents/descents; (b) the sharp conditions underfoot gratefully accepted. I just ran NDW50 and I'm heading for Beachy Head Marathon in October.

As for reccing the course - absolutely! But I manage a local parkrun, so can't go off for too many weekends.

WiB
13/08/2012 at 12:32

Debra - Get plenty of hiking practice in. You wont be running too many of the climbs I can promise that. Also practice your descending to help train/condition for that. Possibly find a hill (steep as possible) fast hike up it and run down. With regards to the underfoot conditions as well, that may be hard to replicate. I would suggest coastal path is as close as you will get in the South to try to mirror the terrain. Lakeland course is very rocky and tough on your feet. The chalk paths of the downs would be good too.

Recce runs of the course will be invaluable.

WiB
08/11/2012 at 14:52

Help! First Recce on Saturday. website offers GPX or MMO tracks or routes...

I have a Garmin 310xt, I've never used the mapping function before. Whick do I want: GPX or MMO, and "tracks" or "routes"? And where do I find how to download this from laptop to Garmin, or has someone got some really easy to use instructions? And how do I start it off on the day - i.e. how do I tell it I'm now wanting to follow this route (or track, whichever it is)?

WiB
08/11/2012 at 15:26

I think it is GPX and routes. I used Garmin connect to export routes to a Garmin. Can sign up to it easy enough.

The road book is really good, I just ran with that each time I went up there. Never even used the map.

WiB
08/11/2012 at 16:22

Hi WiB. I've printed off the roadbook (twice - so I have a spare copy if the one I'm using get blown away or something) and it's good to know they're good, AND I've printed off the map in sections - with and without the route marked, but I've not done much night running and no night navigating, so I was thinking having the GPSto back me up would be a good thing. I'm signed up to Garmin Connect,but I can't see how/where on there I'd get the file from my computer onto my Garmin...

81 to 100 of 144 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.