21 to 40 of 162 messages
29/02/2008 at 14:40
yep
PloddingOn    pirate
29/02/2008 at 14:41

Tnanks TT.

PloddingOn    pirate
29/02/2008 at 14:43

They hire out bikes and then you can buy them...

Are the bikes any good? 

PloddingOn    pirate
29/02/2008 at 14:43
Ok maybe not buy - but to hire for £100
PloddingOn    pirate
29/02/2008 at 14:47

Actually dont' worry - they take the full amount off your credit card anyway.

May as well buy it 

ImRio    pirate
29/02/2008 at 14:49

True.  You can always sell it on if you dont like it!

What about the londontriathlon website.  I  know they do hire them on there too.  Not sure what the terms are

29/02/2008 at 14:50
London got to be returned for beginning of septemeber where tri uk it is end of september. Bit of a b*gger if you do a race towards that end of the year. IE offroad OW tris.
29/02/2008 at 14:52
Ive got an F3 size Foor wetsuit if anyone wnts one. I got it secondhand so dont want millions for it
PloddingOn    pirate
29/02/2008 at 14:53

I think I should buy the ex hired ones.  That way, I feel compelled to keep using them

The wetties are pretty cheap - just worried because I need to try them on before I buy them.  Also would need to get advice on a bike before buying it.  Again, on the triuk site, you can buy the ex hire bikes. 

Would it be good to start off like that?

ImRio    pirate
29/02/2008 at 14:56

Start which ever way you can PO.  But always get what you can afford because if you find you like it it might have been a false economy if you need to upgrade in a year.

Triuk are very helpful so if there is anything you aren't sure of give them a ring

PloddingOn    pirate
29/02/2008 at 15:03

Blobfish - any chance of you holding onto that until I see what size I am?

Sorry to be a complete numpty - but how do I find out sizes and stuff?  Guessing I actually have to take a day off, find a tri shop, pester them a lot, find my size then leg it?  Same with the bikes? 

Nam
29/02/2008 at 15:05
Can I hire a wetsuit with the option to die at the end...

>>blub<< >>splutter<<
ImRio    pirate
29/02/2008 at 15:06

There are size charts on the website too but if you aren't sure I think they will tell you.  Otherwise Google triathlon wetsuits and look up sizes on anything you find.  Will give you an indication anyway.

Same thing for bikes

Though for both it is better to be able to try first

PloddingOn    pirate
29/02/2008 at 15:08

Nam - we have been through this!  You won't die!  You are going to be a highly accomplished freestyle swimmer in NO time!

But I have a funny figure.  Doesn't that matter?  Think roly poly chubster... 

Nam
29/02/2008 at 15:10

There are some sites & shops that let you pay off a bike bit by bit, some even interest free...  Just think of the sort of people who spend 4k on bike bling... most people don't have that sitting around in their bank account.  Maybe have a ponder what you could afford every month and over which time to pay it...

For example, if you could spare £40 a month you could get a nice enough (for starters) road bike and pay it off over 12 monthly instalments.

ImRio    pirate
29/02/2008 at 15:11

Then go by the weight/measurements rather than looking at the height too much.  You can cut the arms legs down.  But they do need to be very snug and I mean snug.  It takes me around 15minutes to get mine on!

Might be better to go and see someone first if you are much over the overlap of heights/weight on the sizings

Nam
29/02/2008 at 15:11
Free style...  Is that the term for "different to everyone else"...
PloddingOn    pirate
29/02/2008 at 15:25

That's what I call "front crawl".   I think it's the more "universal" name. 

Its also your style....  

free....

like a bird 

PS like the tip on buying the bike.  May look into that - can I take the bike immediately?  My brother rubbed off on me like that.  I want the best.  Doesn't mean I can AFFORD it.  But I still want it.

Rio - yeh will go look at one first.  Am probably a bit anal about sizes to be honest but would rather get one that fits really well, than have something else to worry about (other than dying)

ImRio    pirate
29/02/2008 at 15:28

It is called freestyle because you can choose how you swim (hence some people use breaststroke) but you could also use Butterfly.  You cant swim in backstroke for safety reasons.

The style that most people choose to race in though is front crawl.

PO You do need it to fit or it will not give you the bouyancy you need and may even create extra drag!  Not what you want at all

Nam
29/02/2008 at 15:31

Yes you can take the bike there and then.  You basically enter into a credit agreement.  Like buying a car...

free as a bird...  >>laughs hysterically<<

21 to 40 of 162 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.