MDS 2007

1 to 20 of 96 messages
17/05/2005 at 20:00
Hi all

I have a goal to run the MDS in 2007. (2006 i already full!) Any one else doing the same and would like to get together some time over the next 18 months to train now and again?
17/05/2005 at 21:29
oh, I forgot. I live in North Essex.

JOHN
18/05/2005 at 10:36
definately enter the thames meander in feb 06 it will be full of 06 and 07 MDSer's as well as vets.

have you put down a deposit for the 07 race yet?

Apparently BOM are trying to get another 100 places for 06 so if your really keen on getting in for 06 instead of 07 it might be still worth giving chris lawrence at BOM a call.

You could also enter the 06 one through the American representative, a couple of people have done this in the past I believe - obviously you have to fly out to america to get there but it still works out a bit cheaper than a BOM entry. Main problem being you run the chance of being stuck with Americans in an American tent. Dont think they stay at the same hotel as the brits either.

good luck!
18/05/2005 at 11:22
No Have not put the deposit down yet. Getting married in 3 months time and the missus has given me a pass to do it AS LONG AS I PAY FOR IT AFTER THE WEDDING!!!! Have you any contact details about the US rep? Is it a lot cheaper? I would like to raise as much dosh as poss and want to pay the fees from the sponsorship so the cheaper the better. My partners brother died last year of Cardiomyopathy (enlarged heart). He was dead before he hit the floor. I want to do it in memeory of him and to raise money for the BHF.
18/05/2005 at 12:21
Best bet is to keep any sponsorship for your entry and costs completely seperate from any charity fundraising. Charity fund raising and entry sponsorship are two entirely different things.

Ive never been convinced by paying the entry fees out of charity sponsorship schemes, there just seems something wrong about it - just my opinion obviously.

If you work for a big corporate company you may be able to put together a aponsorship proposal that will convince them that you will give them enough in return to justify them outlaying cash on your entry e.g quantifiable coverage in local media (including pics showing their logo and clear references to them,), after and pre event presentations to staff, and you can effectively sell advertising space on your clothing, wearing sponsors logos on your sleeves/ cap or rucksack.

Even if you have a really proffesional looking and thoroughly convincing sponsorship proposal it could still be a non starter mind,it really depends on the companies general policies.I am lucky in that I work for a company that sponsors the world xcountry championships and european athletics so its relatively easy to get money out of them for things running related.

If that doesnt work im of the opinion that entry fees should come out of your own pocket and charity money should go to the charity.

Ill dig out the US rep details for you I think you can get them off the Main MDS site (Darbaroud) site.
25/05/2005 at 10:07
Is there any one else that is planning to do this in 07?

JOHN
25/05/2005 at 15:08
Hi John,

I am, just paid the deposit to BOM for '07 and having a serious attack of nerves "WHAT HAVE I DONE!"
25/05/2005 at 17:33
Have you any idea what training plan you are going to do? When will you start "knuckling down"?

JOHN
The Trickster    pirate
25/05/2005 at 17:38
OK guys, 'scuse my ignorance but what is/are :-

1. BOM
2. MDS

Cheers, Richard
25/05/2005 at 17:46
1.BOM = Best of Morocco. Their web page is http://www.saharamarathon.co.uk/

2. MDS= Marathon des sable

JOHN
26/05/2005 at 17:01
Not really. I'm currently after any advice that's available on anything to do with the MDS.
Duck Girl    pirate
30/05/2005 at 13:47
03/06/2005 at 01:36
Hewey, where in the uk are you? And what is your running background? What sponsorship if any are you hoping to get?

JOHN
04/06/2005 at 07:51
I'm in Norwich, the veteran of several (5?) marathons but none particularly fast. I'll be raising sponsorship but I'm not sure who for yet. I'm expecting to pay the race entry myself although I will be touting for sponsorship from work and/or local companies.
04/06/2005 at 14:29
What do you call "not particularly fast"? I was going to ask do you want to do some training for it together but if you are speedy gonlazez......!
04/06/2005 at 20:50
4 hrs(ish!)
07/06/2005 at 19:58
Hello all

I'm running 2007 MdS (first time) and will be visiting this forum on a fairly regular basis. Hoping to get some corporate sponsorship too. A nearby (north east) university has an 'environmental chamber' which can simulate desert conditions, so I'm hoping to use it for training in exchange for becoming one of their guinea pigs. Apparently their always on the lookout for people willing to let them 'experiment' :-(
07/06/2005 at 22:51
i'll be at the thames meander, but not the MDS. i'm looking at doing the GUC (just to throw another set of letters in there :-)) grand union canal 145 as my 2006 big challenge. Got something else planned for 2007... i'm too scared to say it out loud though :-p
08/06/2005 at 00:39
John,
I will be running the 07 MDS with another 5 guys,3 from BA,one from the Met and another a computer guy and I think one of them is Hewey from above.On average were all 3:15-4:00 marathon runners or triathlon guys,but I think its the mental bit that knocks people out.Everyone doing it will be fit enough.Ur more than welcome to join us for any training as I'm sure it makes the whole slog easier,but like you were all newbies to it.If u find any video footage or the ben fogle tv special anywhere let me know.Cheers stu
08/06/2005 at 02:13
Thats great! So can I ask, when will you knuckle down to training as 07 is a fair way off yet and what do you expect to do? What about sponsorship or are you expecting to pay for your self?

JOHN
1 to 20 of 96 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.