Moving to Edinburgh

12 messages
24/02/2012 at 13:54

I'm moving to Edinbugh from London mid- March and I'm looking for a bit of advice from the ultra-running fraternity  to get me into running in the city as I really don't know it well at all. 

Are there any running clubs in Edinburgh who are ultra-running friendly?  I'm not the fastest over shorter-distances nor the fastest ultra runner (plus I haven't really run any races shorter than a marathon for 2 years) so I'm not looking for a super-speedy club, so if anyone here knows any running clubs in Edinburgh that might fit the bill that would be great.  I did a 10:17 at NDW50 and a 4:25 at SDW marathon, if that helps anyone place me timewise.  I have seen one club, Carnethy Hill Runners online, but any other recommendations appreciated!

Does anyone know of any good 15-mile plus runs from Edinburgh as well that would be great.  My in-laws live near the Fife Coastal Path, so I've trained on that before, but my knowledge pretty much stops there! 

On a final note, I'm volunteering at the Glasgow to Edinburgh ultra at the end of March, so if any forumites are running that let me know!

Thanks! 

24/02/2012 at 14:33

When I moved up here from Surrey 18 months ago (currently live on the Moray Firth), the local running club was a fabulous introduction to any kind of local running. Although I train for ultras I also take part in the local racing scene with them - road races, XC etc. There are a few people that do ultras but not many, but the club itself was just great for the social aspect and route finding. Aside from that it was the good old OS map and websites about the long distance trails in the area (of which there seem to be plenty).  I guess it's a case of going along to a club or two and seeing how they run themselves and whether it suits you?

The SUMS http://ultrarunningworld.co.uk/blog/2011/12/19/scottish-ultra-marathon-series-2012/ has a great selection of races that pretty much cover most corners of Scotland too - and differing distances and terrain.

Happy running  In fact for me, running up here is fabulous, I have every possible kind of running almost straight from my door

24/02/2012 at 15:57

Welcome to Scotland - home of some of the best ultras in the UK. The SUMS series (Craig's link) is fantastic. I did 5 of them last year. Many will be full already though (WHW cewrtainly).

As Craig says, there are some amazing long runs from Edinburgh. My favourite is along water of Leith path to Balerno then through the Pentlands and back along the old railway via Penicuik and the Esk. A bit more than 15 miles though.

There's also the 7 hils of Edinburgh with a race every year as well. This is about 15 miles - a mix of roads and hills. Arthur's seat is one of the hills.

The 2 Breweries is classic race later in the year. A longish hill race but a pint awaits at the end.

Also the Pentland skyline if you like fantastic views and hills. Can be done as a training run or a race from the ski centre.

Flatter routes are along the coast in either direction.

Carnethy is a very popular hill running club. No longer a member as now moved north.

24/02/2012 at 22:15
I did in reverse what you're about to do - moved last year to London after spending most of my life in Edinburgh. I never found a running club that really suited me as the ones I tried seemed to be either way too fast or just for beginners. One way to meet runners would be to try the parkrun on Saturday morning - although it's only 5k you'll see all sorts there, including Carnethy hill runners. There are usually a few Hunters Bog Trotters too in their lovely mud brown vests!

A good route for long runs is along the Union Canal. You could, in theory, run all the way to Glasgow. Bits of it are lovely, bits less so. I've once or twice taken the train to Linlithgow, and run back into Edinburgh along the canal, which is about 22 miles. It takes you pretty much into the centre of town, and there's no chance of getting lost.

Good luck, and I'm sure you'll have a great time.
Edited: 24/02/2012 at 22:18
24/02/2012 at 22:26

I live in the East Midlands. 

I cast envious eyes towards:

Ultras in the south of England

and

Ultras in Scotland

You might just have lived a blessed life!

25/02/2012 at 12:39

Thanks for all the tips.  Really looking forward to the move.  I only got into trail running over the past two years and am looking forward to having lots more on my doorstep.

28/02/2012 at 11:22

Hi and welcome to Scotland! I've also volunteered to marshal at the Glasgow-Edinburgh double, but from the Glasgow end as that's where I'm based. I don't know anything about running clubs in Edinburgh, but I do know there are big groups of ultra runners who arrange weekend get-togethers for long training runs on sections of the West Highland Way, cause three of the SUMS ultras are run along it. If that sounds like your thing, have a look at the forum on the WHW website for more info...

03/03/2012 at 15:34
Another Scottish ultra worth knowing about (not in the SUMS series) is the Kintyre Way Ultra, over on the west coast. Good trail running, very scenic, not too steep, some beach sections. Lots of info if you google Kintyre Way Ultra.
14/03/2012 at 15:56

Hi Accidental Runner,

welcome to Scotland! based in Glasgow myself but used to live in Edinburgh and running in Edinburgh is tremendous. lots of hills, flats, seaside air, busy bits, quiet bits, parks, beaches and plenty events to choose from. The Scottish Running Guide online is a great resource for events and club listings. here is the guide's list of Edinburgh clubs... I have no idea if they missed anyone out though as wasn't in a club when in Edinburgh. one thing to prepare for about Edinburgh though, is it's bloody windy. I'm sure there will be runnners from Orkney and Aberdeenshire who will laugh at this but but to a west coast man for Glasgow, Edinburgh is noticably cooler and much windier, drier for sure but cold.  the wind on a December morning in Edinburgh can cut yer face open.

having said that, I do concede Edinburgh is one of the most attractive places to live in the UK, let alone Scotland.  enjoy!

http://scottishrunningguide.com/area_focus/edinburgh_lothians/clubs.php

19/03/2012 at 16:43
A complete list of Scottish Marathons and Ultra Marathons - with dates for 2012 : Scottish UltraMarathons 
19/03/2012 at 18:45
What's interesting is that there aren't any 100 miles races - some LDW ones I think though?
19/03/2012 at 20:26

Since you ask, there are plans afoot for a Scottish 100-miler in 2013.

If interested, please email  kintyre100  at  gmail.com

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.