NDW100 2013

21 to 40 of 82 messages
23/06/2013 at 22:13

Well I finished, just not with a time to write home about.

Anyway it was horrible! Cold, rain, long hours of darkness and thick mud. I've entered again too.

As for advice, get the best kit you can afford and make sure it is well tried and tested. Particularly your coat, waterproof trousers and head torch. It rained for 17hrs and was dark for 15hrs. Never has kit played more of a part in my finish.

23/06/2013 at 22:15

Anyway I mustn't talk about it on this thread. We will have to discuss it on the W100 thread.

Or GKD will get upset.

GKD
23/06/2013 at 22:32

Hey I don't make the rules, it'd be anarchy around here if we didn't have rules!

GKD
01/07/2013 at 00:45

"It rained for 17hrs and was dark for 15hrs."

Dill, your not selling it well lol

Another NDW night recce for me this weekend covering the second half through Friday night. Humid, sticky, sweating buckets... quads destroyed... job done

01/07/2013 at 21:04

Sorry WR that comment related to the Winter 100 not this. Last year this race was red hot. My head was so hot I thought it would burst.

Are you running all the second half? I ran a 20 mile section yesterday at the crack of dawn, it was lovely.

I've volunteered my services for this I'm marking the course from Caterham to Holly Hill. So you can all blame me if you get lost . Lovely place to finish though, as you reach the top of Holly Hill just before the road walk to your right and see one finest views the North Downs has to offer.  

01/07/2013 at 21:55

No worries Dill, I did realise you were talking about the W100 and it has moved further down my list of things to do as a result I guess that is a big advantage to the summer runs that the night doesn't last anywhere near as long.

Yes, I've done the full second half as a night recce twice now (the first time was alone for which I've been widely regarded as a complete nutter and the second time with a like minded soul lol). Setting off at different times so that I've navigated most of it in the dark now. Hopefully shouldn't need to rely on my map too much now and with 2x50 milers in the tank over the last month it should give me a bit more confidence on the day. I'm resting now for a couple of weeks before UTPD60 and then rest again untill NDW.

Good on you for volunteering and yes it is a fantastic view from there.

01/07/2013 at 22:58

I've offered to volunteer at Knockholt Pound; not heard anything yet... Dill, when did they contact you about marking the course?

02/07/2013 at 00:30

Good luck Debra. Knockholt Pound is an epic checkpoint. Such a great atmosphere. At least it was when the NDW50 & NDW100 were run simultaneously. Not sure how it will be this year..

02/07/2013 at 08:36

Robert: thanks. I thought it would be interesting to see how the 100-mile people are when they reach that point (which was the finish point for me running the 50). Also, I'll be volunteering at parkrun in the morning as usual but I figure I can get our results done AND get to Knockholt Pound in time for the full shift there - and I know where it is so I wouldn't have any concerns about possibly getting lost on the way there...

05/07/2013 at 10:32

Just want to make sure everybody knows this. 

20 additional slots will be made available in this years NDW100 at 10am on Saturday 13th July 2013.

These will be on a first come, first served basis only.

15/07/2013 at 09:40

Anyone manage to bag one of the extra 20 places?

If this weather continues 29:59:59 will start to look like a very good time!

15/07/2013 at 12:22

Humph. Tempted! I was on the waiting list for this, turned it down due to UTPD this weekend and Ring O Fire 30th August, now its popped up again! My legs feel suprisingly good after the 60 on Sat so I could get a couple of mini recce's in...

Any thoughts? I feel happy enough I could keep things ticking over til the NDW, its just whether 3 weeks is enough to recover before 130mile multi-stage!

WackyRacer, you've now seen me in the silly hours of a race, can you talk some sense into me?! How do you reckon the climbs on the NDW compare with what we did on Saturday? Overall elevation is only 300m more over 40miles longer..

15/07/2013 at 16:01

The main reason that I hadn't had a chance to recce the UTPD was that I had been concentrating my efforts on the NDW as I didn't want to be worrying too much about navigation on my first 100.

So I headed for the Peak District having seen the elevation map and thinking that it would be quite similar. I couldn't have been more wrong and I found the trails a lot more technical than the NDW and the climbs were tougher although certainly the heat played its part. If I do it again next year I will certainly take the time to recce it properly and would hope to complete it a good deal quicker.... hopefully without the need of a torch and the bog trotting

Basically, I would definately say the terrain was a lot trickier for UTPD but that extra 40 miles is a long way. I must admit that I am a bit worried about the heat again as I was listening to a guy on the radio saying that the week of the NDW was going to be the hottest of the year!!!

For me I will not do too much now before NDW and my legs feel surprisingly good today so should recover nicely for it. 3 weeks isn't a lot of recovery before Ring O Fire and it may take a while to shake a 100 miles out of your legs but the fact that it is multi-stage may make it doable.

Would be interested in the thoughts of those more experienced than me..... but I  would probably say the same as I did when I met you staring down that DNF at Bradwell.... Only you know if you can do it 

15/07/2013 at 20:22

Hi Debra. Sorry only just read your post. James contacted me because he needed a course marker and no more aid station crew. Probably depends when you applied to be a volunteer. When I contacted him they had enough crew and lots of spares but that was about a month ago. They will email you about a week before the event for final conformation and give you all the details.

15/07/2013 at 22:25

Hi Dill, no problem, I sent an email and checked ('cos I want to make sure i have back-up to sort out the parkrun results, if there's a problem with them and I have to dash off to Knockholt Pound). I'll see everyone there (and for any vegetarians: there will be Green-ear Percy Pigs at Knockholt Pound).

15/07/2013 at 23:36

They will soon have to hold a ballot to see who gets to volunteer at Centurion events!   

18/07/2013 at 17:15

I guess it makes a change to have too many volunteers...

I know why I always offer my services but I guess it also helps that James is a great guy though and very appreciative of his volunteers.

18/07/2013 at 17:31

I've volunteered for NDW100 this year because I appreciated the support I got from volunteers at NDW50 last year and SDW50 and NDW50 this year, and wanted to give something back - and the Knockhold Pound aid station is only a few miles away, making it practical to fit in with parkrun (because volunteering at an ultra while making things harder for the other parkrun volunteers seems inappropriate).

18/07/2013 at 19:49

I volunteered for the SDW100 partly because the volunteers had helped my in previous events and I felt that it was my turn, but also because I wanted to see a 100 mile event from the other side. 

26/07/2013 at 19:54

I secured a late slot for the NDW100 but this will be my first 100 and on what is obviously a difficult course. I have done a training session with Robbie Britton some months ago on Box Hill, but haven't done any Recce's at all of the course.

I'm not unduly concerned about the distance, having completed GUCR and TR250 this year, but I realise that this is a different type of challenge altogether, so I'm not taking anything for granted!

I'm really looking forward to this and can't wait to get cracking. I think I'll be donning leggings from around 60 mile onwards to deal with the nettles and potentially cold night, as I did with last two events.

I must admit I am concerned about the navigation, not having had the chance to recce any of the route. I'd have liked a pacer from 50 miles but haven't had any joy finding one so far. Think I'll have to tag on to someone who looks like they know what they're doing, hang on and hope that they're right  

All the best to to everyone running or supporting!

21 to 40 of 82 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.