New waterproof for ultras - advice, please?

Montane, OMM or...

21 to 32 of 32 messages
29/01/2013 at 07:55

Oooooh T Rex! I was wundrin about about the OMM pants as a late Christmas pressie to self (I have the jacket, not smock & very happy with it). I didn't try the Minimus.

From lurking elsewhere I'd like to say I'm glad to read you're getting back to running T Rex, after the clavicle. My young lad did his in October. He played football twice in December, was upended & now off for 6 weeks .

29/01/2013 at 13:23

I like the minimus though haven't run with a pack yet. Nice to have a well thought out hood you can actually run in. Breathability isn't perfect, but pretty impressive. Just to add a bit of confusion the Inov-8 Raceshell looks good too, more along the OMM lines fabric-wise.

29/01/2013 at 18:29

Went and plumped my pennies down for a Kamleika Jacket this very lunchtime. Just preferred the fit at the end of the day over the Minimus, though it was a close thing. 

Also found an OMM Sonic Smock on teaBay, which arrive in the post today - Pertex Quantum, thin or what?

Which to try first... reckon the Sonic will get some use tomorrow lunch time when I'm out with the work folk. It really does stuff into it's own collar... how bizarre.

Thanks for all the grand advice folks, a mine of usefulness as ever.

29/01/2013 at 19:11

jim n - I thought they only did tip tackles in rugby?  Mine was a fairly bad break with one broken end resting just underneath the skin.  Feels horrible.

You've been spending your hard earned pennies then, pbab?

30/01/2013 at 09:24

Ran in my Kamleika last night in the wind and driving rain. tried the hood up for the first time and it worked great!

30/01/2013 at 10:06

Wow these things are quite expensive, aren't they? I have a single-shell jacket that I use in wet/cold weather that I bought off a sale rack at a race a couple of years ago for about £15. Any more than that I seriously overheat. I see some races specify "GoreTex or similar", but I'd boil in a GoreTex jacket! Walking outings only for that.

30/01/2013 at 10:08
You pay for the jacket's breathability as well as waterproofness.
30/01/2013 at 22:08

I use a Mountain Equipment Gortex pro shell. Fantastic bit of kit. £200 normally which is nuts but paid £90 for a cosmetic second so a real bargain.

I tend to wear gortex only in proper rain/snow . For wind stoping I use a Montain Jetsream pertex top . The pretex stops the wind with max breathability so zero sweat build up. This garment weighs almost nothing but is not waterproof.

For Most Ultras I carry both  jackets , so always run in comfort. Most runners opt for only carrying a full waterproof which will never be as breathable as pertex. If conditions get really serious I wear the gortex pro shell over the pertex.

30/01/2013 at 22:20

Interesting info Ian - I tried out the OMM Sonic Smock today - it's waffer thin, but kept the wind off in a gale and crazy breathable. I know it's DWR treated, but wouldn't want to trust it in a proper downpour - at stuff all weight, it makes sense to take it along as well - nice advice.

Edited: 30/01/2013 at 22:30
GKD
30/01/2013 at 22:34
I've recently bought the Haglofs Endo jacket with a view towards the UTMB and Laverdo later this year, I'm a big fan of Haglofs anyway but first impressions are really good, excellent construction with fully taped seams, single chest pocket cuts down on extra weight, hood is firm enough to stay in lace when needed with a really clever wiring system.
All in all I'm impressed, it's not cheap but it compared to the mountain hardwear effusion I was originally going for
GKD
31/01/2013 at 17:46

Its very easy to get obsessed by pack weight as thats just about the only think you have absolute control of in your Ultra prep. Once you are up and running you may find that you arrive at a water station having carried 600g of water up and down hills for the last 12 miles! Given the choice of carrying  a 300g wind stopper top and sweating or freezing for 6+ hrs is really is a no brainer. If you are not in control of your body temp then even  carrying nothing at all won,t help your performance. 

01/02/2013 at 07:12
I bought the Montane Minimus recently after checking out almost every jacket on the market, it's wonderfully bright green, fantastically windproof and most importantly waterproof. I teamed it with the feather lite trousers and as a combination feel as though they are a good match.

I'm not a fan of running in jackets and trousers these feel as though I'll be okay in them. I've been doing test runs in them and they do wick the sweat away and I do feel surprisingly comfortable even after 10 or 12 miles in them. Both items pack down really very small - even when you are in rush hoping that your knees don't seize up because you've stopped for a few seconds.

All that said the moment the rain eases I'm straight back into the running vest and shorts, I am that nutter you see on a cold winters day dressed like its the middle of summer.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 32 of 32 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.