Northants Ultra 35

21 to 38 of 38 messages
24/02/2013 at 18:28

ah yes how did it go? wht was the time limit?

24/02/2013 at 19:24
It was good, much slower than last year but really enjoyed it, I came in at 8:12, not sure if there was a time limit but 10 hours was mentioned, very cold though
25/02/2013 at 08:53

thats a good time , cold saps energy fast i find

25/02/2013 at 14:07

I felt good enough at the end to run some more which was what I was aiming for so although it took longer than last year the distance feels better, so I'm happy with it, Rome next for me how about you? 

05/04/2013 at 16:48

aim to do this - never done an ultra before, but have cycled the south downs way in 9 hours so expect it will be similar from endurance perspective. Was going to map the route out on my garmin and use that along with any maps provided. what is the going like as i'm not sure whether to wear my road or trail shoes.

10/04/2013 at 12:37

George - I think I read something on a thread from earlier years which suggested that road shoes should be fine for this. 

15/05/2013 at 14:10

About time that this thread got a "bump" - less than 3 weeks to go!

I ran it last year in road shoes and was absolutely fine.

The navigation was a worry beforehand but I studied the maps the night before, so they were fresh in my mind, and made my own notes about points where I thought I might go wrong. I didn't have to refer to the directions very often as I could usually see at least one runner ahead of me who had usually figured out the right way before I caught up to them! One of the lovely things about a race like this is that runners help each other to get the directions right - it's in everyone's interests not to go wrong!

And whilst the climbs in the first part of this race are significant, they are worth it for the views, and the relatively easy second half.

28/05/2013 at 12:34

5 days and counting.......weather forecast good, mid to high teens, looking forward to it now.

28/05/2013 at 14:20

looking forward to sunday night, maybe sunday not quite so much, hoping for low teens and cloud. What do people normally carry, was going to carry couple of plasters, banana's, gels and spare nuun tabs + water, garmin and phone.

28/05/2013 at 17:44

Er... map/map book! (Quite important!)

Maybe take sun-screen with you to the start, even if you don't carry it during the race.

Water.

Weather could be gorgeous - not as hot as the weekend (or last year's race), nor as hideously wet as today - just right! Hope everyone's managing to get plenty of rest and porridge this week!

28/05/2013 at 18:56

and depending on what Garmin you have, be sure to load the GPX up onto it, could save you a world of extra mileage & pain ifyou get lost!

28/05/2013 at 20:06

thanks, gpx is now on 205 and Dakota. will take glasses just in case I need them for map book if size is small.

01/06/2013 at 07:38

How did everyone get the gpx to upload?  I'm panicking now because the file won't import through training centre OR work on Garmin connect

01/06/2013 at 07:53

I uploaded to bikehike.co.uk as that accepts the format then saved it direct to my device which is connected to the pc. Hope that helps.

01/06/2013 at 07:55

saved as gpx route to garmin so I can goto navigation and follow route.

01/06/2013 at 20:23

This time tomorrow it will be all over, will we be basking in the glory of a job well done, or agonizing over a nightmare slog in the sun?

01/06/2013 at 22:58

Thanks so much George - I now have the course uploaded to my Garmin.  Now to worry about something else!

02/06/2013 at 19:48

Great Race, the marshalls at the check points were fantastic, as was the Fruit Cake and the Tea at the end tasted sooooo good!!!

Had to resort to lots of run/walking over the last few miles but was pleased with my finish in approx 5hrs 40 mins.

Not sure whether I'm cut out for Ultra's as that reeeeaaaaallllyyy hurt but at least I can now say I've done one!!!!  

Edited: 02/06/2013 at 19:49

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 38 of 38 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.