Piece of String Ultra

Are you sick in the head?

41 to 48 of 48 messages
pmo
12/07/2012 at 10:25

Ben - isnt the British Barkley at Caesers Camp?

pmo
12/07/2012 at 12:24

Hmmmmm. 

I understand that it is logistically feasible to finish Caesars Camp. 

GKD
12/07/2012 at 12:42
Not sure I agree with that assessment, the thing with Barkley as I understand it is that absolutely everything is stacked against you, almost impossible slopes, no real maps or trails for the most part,no aid stations, no start time, even the distance is reportedly between 120-145 miles depending on who you ask. In the piece of strings case all you have to contend with is no fixed distance, the trail will be good as the locality is undulating at worst, the aid stations will be the same as the winter 100, start time is posted and there's a natural cut off as its being run at a weekend and will be restricted by how much ground can be covered in that 36 hour period.
I agree the piece will be tough but it's not even in the same park as Barkley in my opinion, for comparison I'd suggest something like The Spine
GKD
WiB
12/07/2012 at 14:01

Barkley is something else completely in terms of terrain, time on feet, the extra challenge of finding the books, no support, no start time, unknown distance really.

Now, I think an awesome race in terms of just pushing your limits is the Big Dog ultra. 4 mile trail lap, everyone sets off on the hour to do a lap. If you dont get back to start the next lap you are done or if you dont go out on a lap you are done. Last man standing.

WiB
GKD
12/07/2012 at 14:16
Ooh, got a link?
GKD
12/07/2012 at 14:53

Having reread James' blog about his inspiration for "piece of string" i think this is not about terrain at all.  "on paper there is nothing tough about it except the mental torment it will inspire".

And he refers specifically to the big international races (part. badwater) and says that he hopes to attract "the same people" that have already completed these races and seems to want to test them in a different way. 

His inspiration does seem to come from Barkley, but only from the fact that it broke him mentally - not physically.

GKD
12/07/2012 at 14:55
And this from a man who ran across America, that tells me as much as I need to know about how difficulty Barkley is
GKD
NBD
15/07/2012 at 18:10

Oh dear, just logged into this thread to see who had got in and see the phrase "one sacrificial virgin".  Well, part of it's wrong but I have a feeling I may be the sacrifice given the other names mentioned!  Where is the list of 16 invitees available?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 48 of 48 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.