pilgrim challenge 2012

21 to 40 of 99 messages
20/11/2011 at 08:23
Hopetofinish

Don't worry HP, I am a what you would call a chunky runner, although I am on a diet of dust at the moment, to try and lose a pound or two. As they say it's a marathon, not a sprint, so, slow but steady will be my strategy.
20/11/2011 at 10:29

I actually put on weight when I started on ultras!!  I was having a lot of problems and not eating much, but once I stepped up from marathons to ultras I had to eat.  I am now a very chunky walker .

Hopetofinish- good luck with the recce.  I do most of my training on the Farnham/Merstham section of the North Downs Way.  It was very useful as I now know it like the back of my hand  and in places the signage can be ambiguous.  I know quite a few participants went astray at various places.

Edited: 20/11/2011 at 10:30
20/11/2011 at 13:05

Thanks for the kind words! Thinking a diet of dust is what I should be on for the next few months.

Ran 5 miles out and then 5 miles back from Newlands corner (beautiful sunshine, above all this pea soup).

This part of the NDW I thought was better signed than a few place from Farnham. Bear - I fully intend to have run it a few times, as I am really keen not to run any extra miles!

What's sort of mileage are peeps up to on their long runs at the moment.
20/11/2011 at 18:35
Hoping to re-start training next week.  Planning on a slow waddle from Guildford to Pilgrims' start at Farnham Golf Course then back next weekend.  Afterwards will introduce mid week session from Box Hill to Reigate Hill and back .  The worst bit is the Box Hill steps - generally have being avoiding them and going up by another route, but must bite bullet soon .
20/11/2011 at 20:10
Bear BH, I bow to you, I still have nightmares about the steps at Box Hill, even coming down them was a challenge.
In terms of training, I'm still out with a groin strain at the moment, so I'm having trouble getting up the steps in doors, let alone Box Hill.
I do remember last year I did go wrong once, but on the whole, as long as you have your wits about you, it's not to bad to navigate.
20/11/2011 at 20:43

Another one bowing here! That is some training.
Hope you are on the mend real quick ahapartridge. Have you been out since Beachy? If so, I imagine you will have to balance doing enough training to complete this whilst looking to stay injury free.
Having looked at the training plans, a lot recommend running 40 miles plus a week. Not even close to that!
20/11/2011 at 21:07
H2f, yeah, not really run much since Beachy, I think what caused it was me over stretching on some of the down hill parts of the run and maybe caused some muscle tear? Initially couldn't lift myself out of bed, but has got better recently, keep icing the area and taking some pain killers, have also yesterday put some special tape around the area, which is supposed to lift the outer skin away.
Only put tape on yesterday, after some very delicate shaving and probably a placebo effect, it does feel better today. Starting to get frustrated not being able to run at the moment, however, did do my first spin class this week, didn't affect my injury, so may have to look at other ways of keeping fit for the next month!
20/11/2011 at 21:45
Well I hope it's not too difficult to navigate!!
Doing 50-60 mpw at the moment, long runs of 20+ but I have my 3rd marathon of the year in December so have been in training pretty much the whole year.
I'm assuming that these box hill steps are part of pilgrims?! Yikes!
20/11/2011 at 21:54
Jeremy, great mileage per week, keep that mileage up and you should fly round. Yes, the Box Hill steps are part of the route, don't worry, I'm sure there are others as well, just in case you can't get enough of them.
21/11/2011 at 13:43
Don't know about flying round - just going for completion as it's my first! Was just looking at the route /elevation map on the website - yikes! At least the last part day 2 will be relatively flat!
22/11/2011 at 17:12

Sounds like your training is going very well Jeremy.
I used to say for marathons, that as long as I am home before dark then I'm doing fine. Can't even say that for this one!
23/11/2011 at 08:15

Thanks HTF - how's everyone else's training going? Everyone doing both days?
I am - hopefully Father Christmas will be bringing me a sleeping bag and mat!

I'm deliberately ahead - sneaky plan to not feel guilty if I pig out a bit at Christmas!

23/11/2011 at 18:44

Did you go for a Brazilian ahapartridge? Thats going to itch when that starts growing again

Try waxing next time

Amanda

23/11/2011 at 20:20
A.Runner, it's a sort of half mohican at the moment, starting to itch slightly, but the tape appears to be working, the things we do for running!
25/11/2011 at 19:43

My mileage up until 2 weeks ago was about 30 miles, then had flu and havent been for a long run since. Plus every weekend at the moment is taken up with family commitments..getting a bit worried really, will I be ready in time. My plan is to do parts of the route in December and January, if I dont not sure whether its worth doing it.

Up in leeds over christmas and will try and do the chevin chase on Boxing day.

PS Thanks for all the advise so far....

27/11/2011 at 19:07

Saturday - did a slow recovery waddle from Guildford to (almost) start and back.  Covered about 16 miles.  Still a bit knackered from Druids', but good to be on sandy soil rather than heavy clay.

Hope those currently on injury bench come off soon.

04/12/2011 at 18:41
Gone a bit quiet here- how are things going for everyone?  Managed equivalent of CP2-3 and back.  Main problem was with slightly dodgy headtorch - had back up hand held torch but pitiful beam and managed to lose it .  Fortunately headtorch lasted until got back to Guildford.  Next Friday will confront the Box Hill steps.....
04/12/2011 at 20:19

Great going BBH. Are you training in the dark on purpose?
I have yet to run with a torch, which one are you using?
So far I have run (in stages) almost to Ranmore Common, so am feeling a little better about not getting lost.

Ran 10 miles today and feel that most of my body is currently falling apart. To think that I would have had another 23 miles on top of that, and then to repeat the experience the following day, is now making me feel I should be sectioned.
04/12/2011 at 21:21

Well done BBH, just the thought of those steps at Box hill makes me shiver.

H2F, I know what you mean about being sectioned, although you won't be alone on the route, there are enough straight jackets to go round, when you get to the school hall on the first night.

Bought a new pair of trainers yesterday, Newton running shoes, totally different to what i've had before.  Thought i'd christian them this morning with a 14 miler, must be mad, but hey ho.  The thing is i've got to start trying to land on the front part of my foot and spring forward, instead of landing on my heel or mid section.  Easier said than done, also I'm trying to train by heart beat, rather than always going out a full pelt.  Trying to do both these things at once is quite tricky, I thought us men could multi task  

04/12/2011 at 21:34

Good going BBH - having never done the box hill steps I am maintaining blissful ignorance! Sadly that won't be the case for day 2. As you say H2F we must all be a little mad!
Aha - how did it go with the newtons? I have just got a pair - only did 6 mile test in them. Plan is to use them mainly for road races.
Currently offshore at the moment so it's a daily treadmill session. Been trying to do 90min a day - it's fine fitness wise but sooooooo boring! Takes a lot of will power to stay on the flippin thing.

62 days to go!!  Doesn't sound so long does it?!!

21 to 40 of 99 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.