pilgrim challenge 2012

1 to 20 of 99 messages
20/10/2011 at 19:28

ell I've signed up for it, started the early morning runs. For those who have done it before do you have any tips- preparation and equipment on the day itself!

Guy

20/10/2011 at 21:07
It's a brilliant event which I hope to do again next year.  Last time I made the mistake of doing day 1 of my back to back training sessions on the hilly sections of the North Downs Way , but doing day 2 on the flat in London which meant I found the start of Day 2 quite hard going.  If you can recce the route in advance it will be of great help.  Good headtorch (unless you're super speedy) a must.
21/10/2011 at 06:58
I'm in too another first timer. What time does it get dark that time of year 3,4? don't runners start at 9am?? Not that I won't be bringing a head torch of course!
Just hoping it's not snow and ice around!
21/10/2011 at 09:26
Nearer 5 - managed to clear Reigate Hill by 4.50 and it was still just about light.  I'm a w*lker so will still finish in the dark in spite of an 8a.m. start.
23/10/2011 at 07:55
Hi all, done it last year for the first time and was my first ultra, found it tough, however, just signed up for another go next year. Great event, nice people, but get some hill training in. My only advice is to take a comfortable sleeping mat to sleep on, if your doing the 2 day.
03/11/2011 at 21:01

I'm in too and will def. be at the back of the field.  I have checked out the route from the start to the church at Newlands Corner  as I am hopeless when it comes to direction. 

Looking forward to this with a mixture of excitement and total dread!

03/11/2011 at 21:25
If  all well hope to sign up for this (providing it's a squirrel free route).
04/11/2011 at 05:47
Hi Hopetofinish, glad to read that you have signed up, didn't we chat back in june/july time?

Bear B Hind, can't remember if it's squirrel free or not, I spent most of my time looking where I was running to check out the animals, don't worry though, we'll all make sure you get round, without being pestered by any rodents.

Not done any running for 2 weeks since Beachy Head Marathon, really enjoyed the run this year, but suffered a groin strain for my troubles. Doctor gave me some pain killers and just rest and ice for the minute, starting to get frustrated, as wanted to start training for pilgrims.
04/11/2011 at 11:48
Hi aha- sorry to hear about your injury - I did BH as well but fortunately no ill effects.  Gearing up for Druids' next week.  Really hope to be able to do Pilgrims' as I find it the most challenging. 
04/11/2011 at 16:46

Yes, Ahapartridge, we have chatted!  Hope you are on the road to recovery real soon. 

BBH, read about your squirrel encounter on the other thread.  Thought it was very funny, but would have freaked me out.  Good luck with the Druids.  You really like the events run by this company.  This is my first time out with them, but I won a buff for signing up for their newsletter, so have a good feeling about them.

I too did Beachy.  Told myself from about mile 17 that never, ever again, but fairly sure I will be there at the start line next year.  Pain is a transient thing, and my memory is getting worse with age.

04/11/2011 at 18:42
bear b.hind, im looking at doing Druids next year..so i'll be interested in what you have to report about it
04/11/2011 at 20:59

hp - love these events - realy friendly and trust you to know what you're doing.  Last year due to various probs got to penultimate cp well after time, but instead of being hauled off course was allowed to continue. 

lb - race report - watch this space .

04/11/2011 at 21:53
thats encouraging B.H....i get all worried when i read about CP cut offs...i think its a bit mean to not let people have a fair go at even finishing by hauling them off or switching them to shorter routes
19/11/2011 at 08:22
I've just registered and looking forward to it! My first multi stage Did my first ultra in October... the Longmynd Hike and loved it.

How did Druids go B.H?

Is there plenty of room at the school hall? I was thinking of taking a big fat airbed! (am I right that we don't carry our sleeping gear, and that it goes in a mini bus?)
19/11/2011 at 10:04
Druids went fine.  The black eye is nearly gone..... Bit of a race report on the wannabee thread
19/11/2011 at 15:04
Hi Emily, yes, there was enough room last year, if I remember there were 2 individual halls, the quicker you finish the better spot on the floor you can pick!
You can put the sleeping bag and a bag in the minibus and they take it to and fro, unless you want to carry it, I had enough trouble getting myself around, let alone my kit.
19/11/2011 at 15:15
the druids was my first ultra and multiday and i have to say i think i may have found a new passion in life....i loved it, it was hard going on day 3 as my ankles got swollen quite badly but i was damned if i was going to pull out....lesson learnt though and will probalbly go for the pilgrims next year
19/11/2011 at 15:23
Thanks for the info. I wonder what the weather will be like? I've never ran in the snow Only started running in April!

I guess warm clothes, waterproofs and changes of socks etc etc is a must in Feb.
19/11/2011 at 19:55

Yes to the above + headtorch if slow. I take a complete change of clothes - including shoes - for each day.  Also am a great fan of Sealskinz socks - but mainly because I get awful blisters if my feet get wet.

np - sorry about your ankles.  Hope you get them sorted.

20/11/2011 at 07:46

Congrats all those who completed the Druids.  BBH - I read your report on the other thread thank you.

Seriously questioning my sanity for entering this.  This morning off to check out the run from Newlands Corner heading east (I have bought a guide book/map/book on how to read the said map), so looking forward to running somewhere new.

Loving all the advice on this thread.  I too am really slow, so will be needing the services of a head torch.  If location in the hall is dependant upon our arrival times then I shall be just outside the toilet doors!

All ultra runners look amazingly thin.  Hoping there are some chunky runners out there somewhere doing this!

edited to change west to east - I am doomed

Edited: 20/11/2011 at 07:47
1 to 20 of 99 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.