question of the day.. does this product exist..?

21 to 29 of 29 messages
kittenkat    pirate
13/09/2012 at 19:53

Ok, this is a flowchart...

Do you run without stopping or walking?

No = Eat proper food, don't waste money on sports crap.

Yes = Well you already know how to fuel.

kittenkat    pirate
13/09/2012 at 19:53

TOTP! (Glad your running is going well btw DV)

Dark Vader    pirate
13/09/2012 at 21:12

Lirish..   I do have a bag of hammer perpetuem...   it is fantastic stuff but not easy to use on an ultra unless you have someone to pre-mix the fluids or make the paste...   good choice though...  the paste can be very messy and sticky and isn't conducive to speedy feeds or trying to feed in the dark...

kk..   I think I am fairly reasonable at fuelling..  I'm trying to experiment with other options and would like to consider fuelling that doesn't require chewing...    it doesn't need to be 'sports crap'...   right now, I don't use any sports products...  I eat real foods..  I just find that as the distances get longer and longer I prefer to drink rather than chew...

kittenkat    pirate
13/09/2012 at 21:20

If you eat real foods, you can use real punctuation too

kittenkat    pirate
13/09/2012 at 21:21

Shit, I'm sounding like Wilkie.

15/09/2012 at 14:43

A +1 here for Hammer Pertetuem, I too use it on the long stuff and it seems to take care of most things. They do a solids version now which I suspect is an acquired taste big, very big lozenges, that are quite chalky in texture, chew 'em (don't meet the brief DV as you don't like to chew but are simple and speedy and easy to use in the dark) with liquid into a paste and then finally wash down, not as unpleasant as I make them sound problem is you need to do 3 an hour to hit the same dosage as the powder in a 500ml bottle.

To meet the inital question better, have not tried this yet myself but am just about to order the chia seeds so that I can:

http://ultrarunning.co.nz/content/chia-seeds-running-food

Dark Vader    pirate
15/09/2012 at 16:32

I have used chia seeds..   it looks like frog spawn or wallpaper paste when  mixed, but they don't actually have any taste...   I'm not convinced I noticed any of the claimed benefits from them though.

I will experiement some more with the perpetuem to see if I can make that more workable...

16/09/2012 at 15:23
shawk wrote (see)

Somebody once mentioned baby food sachets, Ella's Kitchen etc. I had a look at them but never actually tried them. Maybe worth investigating further as there is a decent mix of sweet and savoury.

I've mentioned this a couple of times. Just one in particular though - Ella's Kitchen Bananas Apricots and Baby Rice. 150 cals and 30g of carbs per pouch. I had a look at just about every other pouch of babyfood available and all of them seem to have far fewer carbs and calories. This one is the only one that has enough in it to actually make it worthwhile.

DV: I know what you mean about food that doesn't require chewing and that's why I like the babyfood. It's goopy enough to feel like 'real' food and not a drink, but it's just mush so easy to force down. And I actually LIKE the taste of it.

17/09/2012 at 21:54

I've settled on Peronin for this purpose, is quickly absorbed and gives you a real boost, doesn't taste too bad either.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 29 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.