Recommended bladder/backpack for ultrarunning?

14 messages
27/08/2013 at 17:43

Hi,

I have an old bladder/backpack which is on its last legs and want to replace it, I run occasional ultras so I'm looking for a 2 litre pack but I need to be able to carry kit with me as well, just the mandatory stuff!

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Steve

27/08/2013 at 19:01

Hang on Steve, I'm sure Spen will be along in a mo, it's a favorite.

27/08/2013 at 22:20

Trail Runner magazine did a review this month on them. Best overall was the Ultraspire Titan £120, and best VFM was the Decathlon Kalenji Medium £25, which I've bought, but haven't used yet. It seems good, but a little tight around my chest (but then i'm not really built to be a ultra runner). It's only got a 1litre bladder though.

Probably worth getting hold of a copy to see the full review.

27/08/2013 at 22:26

Thanks for that, I'll definitely have a look,

I've been looking at the Camelbak Octane LR or Ultra vest, seem to have the capacity I'm looking for but I don't know what would be similar to that from other manufacturers?

Cheers

Steve

27/08/2013 at 22:27
I've got the decathlon one. It's great for the money. Have used it for up to 50k so far. Hoping to use it for the South Downs Way 50 next yr.
27/08/2013 at 22:48

I heard my name! !!!

27/08/2013 at 23:03

It appears you're the Go To man about Ultra backpacks! What would you recommend?

I'm looking for 2 litre bladder then just enough space for a layer or two and some gels, torch, odds and sods. I'm planning on doing the SDW 50 next year so just to be able to carry there mandatory kit.

Cheers for the advice!

Steve

28/08/2013 at 11:13

Hey there,

Ive used the Salomon S Lab packs for the past couple of years. both their main packs are expensive but amazing.

Plus, just another note, the bladders come with a life time guarentee, the tube that ive had for a couple of years got knocked and broke at the connector, so i called the shop i got it from, and they said no worries, called Salomon and i had a new tube and bladder within a week....

28/08/2013 at 12:41

I have the decathlon Kalenji small and large backpacks, I cant reccomend them enough, I have had the small one for years and it is still in great conditon and only cost about £20, the large one was only £35 and is great for races that have a long list of mandatory kit. Great bags at a very low price.

28/08/2013 at 14:09

+1 for Salomon S-LAB 5 or 12 vests. Both come with a 1.5L bladder, but you can fit 500ml - perhaps larger - bottles in 2 front-strap pockets too and they are held very secure with no wobble. The 5 won't hold much in back, I've squeezed in a waterproof top, windproof top and baselayer. Side strap pockets are small too on that pack, but you can get quite a lot in aforementioned front pockets if notused for bottles. The 12 will hold a lot more in back in 2 compartments (the larger of which can be split) and huge, stretchy, side strap pockets.

Edited: 28/08/2013 at 14:10
28/08/2013 at 16:27

I've been looking at the Salomon vests but I'm a little unsure about the extra 'layer' it would provide? How breathable are they? I tend to struggle in warmer temps so I like to be able to get plenty of ventilation and I'm a little concerned they might be a bit too close (if that's the right word!)

Does anyone experience this or are they quite cool?

28/08/2013 at 17:34

Steve - Though its described as a vest it doesn't cover the whole chest or back (the older XT wings vest did cover a lot of front, but I've not tried that one). Pretty much just covers as much as a normal pack on back shoulders and where straps are. The Straps are just connected by bungee cord and clips (better than it sounds). As with a traditional strap pack or any other vest-type pack it compromises breathability as your back is covered - but is a necessary evil unless you can squeeze all your kit in a bumbag. I wouldn't say this pack is any better or worse than any other I've used.

28/08/2013 at 22:31

I'm still searching for the ideal one.    

28/08/2013 at 23:27

Above all try to find a shop where you can try some on. 

If you can find one feels like it is part of your body, then that one might be a good shout. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
14 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.