Round Rippon Ultra 35 miles

Any advice

21 to 40 of 60 messages
13/08/2012 at 12:41

I'm in for this, just entered this morning.  My second ultra after Grim Reaper 40 earlier this summer.  Hoping this one is a bit drier!

26/08/2012 at 09:44
I wasn't getting the notifications either. Hope everyone's training is going well. My IT band is inflamed as I was wearing old trainers to run in and ballet pumps at work. Now have my stretches to do and new trainers to pick up next week. See you on FB.
10/09/2012 at 11:01
I done this twice. My advice Is to take the first part (to Mashsm) very steady as from that point the route gets steeper and very steep in parts. Some bits are definitely to be walked rather than run. Last year we had written instructions too which were great but be warned the navigation is a little tricky in parts so you do need to pay attention to the map & written instructions. I live close by & have still managed to go of course each year at about the 28 mile mark! That said its a fantastic race & very well organised @ checkpoints well stocked with food & drink. I'm doing it again this year & although it's a tough one it was also my first ultra & I've kept coming back for more so it must be good! The downhill finish through Fountains Abbey is stunning
10/09/2012 at 11:07
Johnny - there is a lot of climbing about 2500 ft in total from memory as the rout goes out onto the moors. another thing I'd say is that unless you are super speedy your garmin will probably run out of battery before you finish so you might want to take a back up watch. As a guide, I did a canal side 30m ultra at 9 min mile pace but have never managed this race on less than 7 hours ie about 11/12 min mile ave pace! A lot of time is lost to navigation unless you've done loads of pre race reccies
10/09/2012 at 18:14

The more I read about this event, the harder it seems to become.  Perhaps I need to stop reading!!

10/09/2012 at 19:16

This sounds quite scary!

You say the checkpoints are well stocked. Jovi, are you planning on carrying much fuel around with you?

Ruth.

10/09/2012 at 19:52
I wonder if we'll get the written route description this year.
13/09/2012 at 07:40
Thee is water and electrolyte drinks at each stop. At Mashsm there was also tea & coffee last year. There is fruit cake at ach stop and at checkpoint three last year there was also sausage rolls and some other savoury snacks which I can't quite remember. I don't ever eat much On the run anyway but will just take a few gels & a couple of bits of malt loaf & rely On checkpoints for anything else. If its hot though I will carry some extra liquid - only about 300ml though. Last year was very very very hot & I still found that was sufficient to last between checkpoints. I think I still have last years print out somewhere - I must have a look for it. I was Planning in doing more revved this year but with having a stress fracture for 10 weeks not had a chance. This is a great race and definitely worth doing. It is tough but that's what makes it more fun! There are all pace levels & I can recommend it whatever speed you are. You're always in site of a farm even on the wilder sections so you could always ask (as I did last year!) of you get lost. The farmer commented that a lot of others had already asked soni knew I wasn't the only one to have gone wrong at that point!
13/09/2012 at 23:18
Thanks for the tips. I'm really looking forward to it.
17/09/2012 at 07:47

Hi! Newish here but not to running or Ripon. 

I recced the last 20 [and first 2 miles] yesterday, Im from Ripon, but i didnt realise how lovely the course was . We had a great morning out after being dropped off in Masham at half 7, Great dry course and im pleased to say Shitty farm 1 and 2 are pretty clean! 

Plan on doing another slowish recce a week on saturday from Masham. We were hitting 9.30min/pace overall at the weekend, slower then i expected. It really is pretty hilly/undualting and at times hard going underfoot. Should make for an epic day.

The course has a bit of everything to keep you occupied with fantastic scenery and terrain and really shows off the area. Shame it doesnt go further in to nidderdale AONB but then it would be even longer! Its far enough already!!

As you were.

Edited: 17/09/2012 at 07:48
17/09/2012 at 20:27

Nosemi - sounds like a great day out.  I find the toughest bit of the route is actually on road - the climb up Ilton bank which feels like a 1 in 1 - I think its 17% but feels way steeper than that.

19/09/2012 at 20:45
I haven't had a chance to recce this route At all and I'm starting to thing is it really a good idea to even do the race. I'm worried about getting lost nevermind running the huge distance. Eeeeek
19/09/2012 at 20:48
Has anyone got a route map from the previous races?
19/09/2012 at 20:57
If you look on the Facebook page that somebody started, through is a route description that has been posted. Print that off and you'll be fine.
22/09/2012 at 15:15

Hi all..I too am in on this one,i too have not a clue about map reading or where we are going,But i did the country to capital in jan 45 mile eith go beyound & just tagged along with others ok we did take one wrong turn but their was about 16 off us so we soon got back on track.id say dont worry to much their will be a few who have done this run before so tag along and enjoy...i too am up on the friday hope you all enjoy what will be a great day,and steve knows how to put on a great race.

23/09/2012 at 10:14
The thing I am most nervous about is I am a slower runner already so I am just hoping I make it in in the time limit. I have no doubt I will finish just a matter of when I am a fighter though so will kick my own butt if I have to
23/09/2012 at 11:05
Amanda, I'm slow too. I ran from Folkestone to Dover and back again along the south downs route which is pretty darn hilly. It was only 17miles but I felt like I had done 26.2. I am so nervous. Are you wearing a camelbak? Ive borrowed one and it can hold my waterproofs, gels and phone. Or shall I not bother with the extra weight of fluid?
24/09/2012 at 10:32

Hi all.  Yes, this route does involve navigation but the written route description is excellent and I;ve only gone wrong in one place (both years!) and that was as I didn't exactly follow the written instructions as it felt wrong (but transpired to be right!). There are plenty of alternatives to get back on track even if you do go wrong.  I would recommend carrying some of your own fluids/supplies as there are large gaps between some of the refreshment stations  - especially in the latter stages when you are slowing down so it takes longer between stations. I dont carry much extra but I do carry some - that way even if you do get lost you still have supplies until you get back on track.  Its a gorgeous route and most is easily navigable and only a couple of tricky sections. I;m am quite navigationally challenged (!) & I made it round the route. I usually take about an extra hour to get the the marathon point in the race than I would do on a trail marathon ie road marathon pace 3:45, trail marathon pace, 4:00, Ripon Ultra at marathon distance pace (4:50 ish).

24/09/2012 at 12:38

Amanda/Ruth - Don't worry about being slow, 35 hilly miles is a long way, it's virtually impossible to set off too slowly. Remember you only have to average 3.5mph to get home within the time limit, which is roughly 17mm pace.  As long as you are going faster than this, then the time limit won't apply.  Think tortoise and hare  Setting off too quickly on the initial flat section could leave you in a world of discomfort once the hills kick in over the second half.  Based on the course profile, hills kick in at 15 mile point, so my plan is to try and get there having barely broken into a sweat, to try and make sure I have plenty left in the tank.

Jovi - care to enlighten us on which bit you went wrong at - if you detoured twice, would be useful to know where we have to be a bit more careful!

24/09/2012 at 12:40

...and another thing, I mailed the organisers about what would be in the race pack that we pick up at registration, and it is just a copy of the maps that we can currently download from the event website, we will NOT get written directions.

The directions that were posted on the FB site are unofficial, and not guaranteed to be correct by the organisers, so anyone who has a copy of those needs to use them under advisement.

21 to 40 of 60 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.