Round the Island Isle of Wight Ultra

41 to 53 of 53 messages
29/05/2012 at 17:15

Have to pull out  physio says shin splints and no running for the foreseeable, puts the kaibosh on my plans to run this.

Have a good one those of you who make it there!

29/05/2012 at 18:08

Sorry to hear that Roger. Best to recover properly though.

Anyone else still doing this on here? How's everyone's training going?

29/05/2012 at 18:18

If anyone is still dithering, this is a brilliant run - first day pretty hilly, second not so bad.  XNRG organise fantastic races and really look after everyone - no time limits either, everyone welcome and cheered in!!  Someone mentioned sleeping in a school hall - most of XNRG's races are like that and the night before and the night after the IoW are, but the night in between running is actually camping and you can pay extra to use some chalets on the site.  Food etc. is provided though.  I have done all of their races (most in same year but not all) with the exception of the Fan Dance and I just love them!! 

30/05/2012 at 10:27

purplepig - I am still in  just done my first ultra at Dukeries on Saturday followed by the Sheffield Half Marathon on Sunday great training for iow - can't wait now - just need to sort out getting down there and accomodation pre and post the weekend. Anyone know the area and a good place to stay for a few days before do let me know. Probably need to buy a map of the island I suspect? Tent arriving this week too. Lazybones good to hear its a great event - be interesting to see hot it compares to others.  Wonder if there will be any sort of massage available on the sat night? that was a great lifesaver at Dukeries on Saturday (plus ice baths)

30/05/2012 at 15:48

Well done Purplehel!! That's really good training!  Which distance did you do at Dukeries 30 or 40? How did you find the half after that? 

I'm thinking we can use the sea to ice in. That's what I do here if my run finishes on the seafront. Just wade in to where you need to ice.

31/05/2012 at 12:52

Great idea purplepig re the sea I didn't even think about that - only did the 30 miler at Dukeries - plenty for me - ended up doing 32.5, not sure how I am going to do 35 x 2 but its all in the mind!  The half was actually ok once I got running I couldn't stop and did it 6 secs faster than last year. Felt the legs being heavy but it wasn't as bad as I thought - now to book some accomodation and ferry after our email from the event today. Surprised they haven't got a mandatory kit list though. 

31/05/2012 at 15:48

Fantastic. I've had some physio on my hip. I strained my hip flexor and it tugs a bit sometimes. I feel most of the problem in the hip joint though. Still, Im managing it, so hopefully be ok!

I am going to do a about 8 on Saturday then a hilly 21 miles on Sunday (slowly!)

You'll have no problem with the distances, having done those back to backs, it's the elevation that might cause some aches and pains, for me at least!!!

13/06/2012 at 13:14

Are people tapering now for the big event? Does anyone know the route - not familiar myself, have 2 days on island before the event so may go and have a nosy at some of the pathway. Just got the gpx file so need to go and study that quite thoroughly. Who's camping? Tried out the tent at the weekend - works well.

22/06/2012 at 08:28

Hi for those who have done this before - is it trail shoes or road shoes? I ran Dukeries earlier this year and wish I had worn road shoes even though it was 90% trail due to hard ground - though given the rain in iow this weekend maybe trail shoes? Have a very limited bag as going down for the week w/o a car so less stuff the better for me.

08/07/2012 at 09:25

This was a brilliant event, so glad I did it - for anyone looking at a multi stage event the guys who organise this are really good, excellent value for money, no big marketing thing unlike some of the ultra's. Food and accom all included, and a fanstastic route - suited for all abilities, some took 10 hours some took 24 over 2 days. Camping was brilliant too. I've done a review though not sure I should be posting the url on here - google "isle of wight ultra 2012" - look for runmoor the review should explain everything about the event if anyone is thinking about doing it for 2013.

08/07/2012 at 10:36

Hi Purplehel, Just read your report - excellent and well done on fantastic effort over the 2 days. Thinking about doing this next year. My biggest concern would be the navigation. Up to now have really only done raod races so only have to follow the people in front!! Was it easy to get lost or was the route fairly self explanatory?

Thanks

25/01/2013 at 20:16

is the course easily marked? or do you need good nav skills

25/01/2013 at 21:17

To be honest the official signs did leave a bit to be desired when I attempted it a couple of years ago(perhaps they might have improved by now), but guides are provided by organisers and their own signs put up where they think necessary.   Really want to have another go this year circumstances allowing.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 53 of 53 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.