Runners Knee - rest or train through it?

6 messages
22/02/2009 at 16:24

Training for IMCH was going well until last weekend, when I developed a very painful knee whilst out running which appears to match the symptons for Runners Knee. I was away for a few days so deliberately decided not to train. I've been doing appropriate stretches in order to help.

After a week's rest I did a longish bike ride yesterday, and it feels a bit painful again, but I'm anxious not to miss training whilst being aware that it could do more harm than good, So...

swimming - yes/no?

cycling - yes/no?

running - yes/no?

Thyank you.......

22/02/2009 at 20:14
Go see a physio and get correct diagnosis. Probably alright swimming, but I am a complete twat and often try to train thru injuries which just prolongs them so probably best not to take my advice.
Dustboy    pirate
23/02/2009 at 00:24
See a pro but don't automatically think that swimming will be OK. Watch breaststroke, it can make it worse.
25/02/2009 at 22:41
I had a bad knee for ages.  Swimming breaststroke aggravated it, but front crawl with minimum kicking was fine.  By minimum kicking I mean keeping legs fairly close together as you kick and kick as gently as you can get away with from the hips/upper legs. 
26/02/2009 at 07:54

Runner's knee, aka ITBFS.

Rest, Ice.

No cycling, no running.

Get it looked at ASAP.

Front crawl is fine, main issue with ITBFS is the bending of the knee which aggravates the IT Band.

Edited: 26/02/2009 at 07:55
27/02/2009 at 22:06
If you swim, front crawl with a pull bouy and try not to push too hard off the wall too.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.