Ultra / Adventure racing
You are looking at: Home : Forum : Ultra / Adventure racing

scotland2sahara ultra 14 nov, or 2800 miler!

41 to 50 of 50 messages
12/11/2010 at 19:38

RFB - I'm heading off on the overnight ferry tonight. See you there. I think I may be finishing a long time after everyone else! First ultra - very scary.  Are you travelling via Inverness?

My "friends" gave me a "kilt" of sorts - aged 9-10 years!. With a bit of extending the fastenings it might go on at least for the first mile or two.

12/11/2010 at 23:22

hi Elspeth,

yes, i'll be going via inverness on way there, i think its 12:50, down to fort william. will be going via skye & harris on way back. If you see me give me a shout - i'm useless at recognising people.

You'll be fine - nowhere near the back. You finished before me at Loch Ness and in much better shape. Just make sure your bag's not too heavy.

13/11/2010 at 08:59

good work on the kilts troops,

Elspeth you've no need to worry about being at the back some of my mates have that space reserved at every race they do, so you'll beat them!

14/11/2010 at 21:56

Well done everybody who took part today, thanks to the organisers and the marshals and well done Andy.

Good work on the kilts troops!

15/11/2010 at 22:24
Thanks indeed, and especially to the weather for being good to us. Any photo's anyone?
17/11/2010 at 21:14

Hi just an update on Andys progress that I posted on the MDS forum, thats why its in a slightly more humourous style than your used to on here

Met up with Andy today at the Falkirk wheel, then ran along most of the length of the Union canal, we then headed up through the delights of Sighthill & Westerhails before heading south east through the posher parts of Edinburgh to finish in Gilmerton.
Andy was feeling pretty rough this morning but luckily his "man -up" switch is fitted with an additional setting to those southern softies, So once the SCOTSMEN setting was applied with the additional help of a bacon, egg & tattie scone roll we soon started munching up the miles and he got stronger as the day went on.

Andy is still suffering a bit with his achillies and also has to deal with organising media appointments and liasing with people via the mobile all while on the hoof, he also had 78 emails to go through last night, So while he's very gratefull for all the support please dont feel offended if he is'nt able to reply to you all.
He's got a busy two days with a medical exam tomorrow and quite a few interveiws, then on friday theres a bit of a doo on at the Melrose rugby club and a talk at one of the borders hospitals, so we got in a few extra miles today so it hopefully means he wont need to run too long in the dark tomorrow. Anyway once these two days are done he can hopefully crack on a bit and focus fully on the running.

I had a great day, Andy's a top bloke who's putting in a superb effort and I've now discovered if I let him run 10 ultras beforehand I can just about keep up!

If you haven't sponsored him already why not text S2S to 70700 it'll only cost you a fiver and make a big difference.

Battle Hard Murray!!
Oo-Rah

29/11/2010 at 08:30
If you missed last nights show you should be able to catch it here, skip forward to 38:20;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...011_Episode_5/
29/11/2010 at 12:07

I beleive theres going to be a S2S pizza party and fun run (5K or 10K) tonight at 7:30 pm starting at The Duck pub Clapham junction (110 Battersea Rise SW11 1EJ)

Now I would have posted the route map but the file's too large so click here to view it in a superior forum;

http://www.themds.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?2988-Scotland2Sahara-5KM-amp-10KM-Run-Clapham-Common-Monday-29th-November

Here's a little update on Andy's progress from my mate Sharky that he posted on themds.co.uk forum;

"Yesterday I met Andy an hour into his run on a country road in the tiny hamlet of Molbourne just below Peterborough. The temperature at -7 didnt get much above freezing all day, although we had both decided to run in shorts?? We made good time and kept an even pace, although it was very icey. Andy is being supported by a variety of people and yesterday was the turn of his sister Sue, who did an excellent job throughout the day with hot drinks, forcing him to eat and keeping him on the right track. We ran through villages and down a B road parallel to the A1 past the American Air base at Alconbury (Its like a small piece of America, they use USdollars etc - does this count as another country?? He poked his fingers through the fence? hopefully avoiding a trip to Guantanamo!! Nothing to do with me..) and on to Huntingdon. Through the city centre and out through Godmanchester, Offord Cluny, Offord Darcy and finishing in Little Barford, just South of St.Neots (St.Nots!!).

Andy has a generally busy day answering text's and calls from various sources, doing the daily 'AndyCam' for the BBC and generally managing himself. We chatted all day, telling stories and the like, he's very good company. If you have to describe the man in one word it might be 'Relentless', he pushes on day after day, overcoming aches and pains. He is hardwired into this project and its enough to run like this for a day with him, but waking up this morning and looking at the clock at 7.56 thinking 'he'll be off in a minute' is quite an intense thought. I wish him all the very best, its hard work out there for him everyday.

The money raised will not only set up a deaf school in Mongolia but also a support shelter for abused women.

The boys putting in a massive effort, why don't you get your phone out now and support him by texting: S2S to 70700

Keep on Truckin' fella!

30/11/2010 at 09:05

Congrats to everybody involved last night, another £1400 raised,

Remember it's St. Andrews day today so why not celebrate by donating a fiver to Andy's charity

text S2S to 70700

23/01/2011 at 16:50

Andy's just completed the 100 mara distance, but is pushing on to do some running in the big dunes!

its not to late to text a fiver

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 50 of 50 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.