SDW100 2013

21 to 40 of 337 messages
09/10/2012 at 13:41

SDW is definately more rolling rather that the sharper climbs of the NDW..I always choose to run to the West first if I am doing an out and back..especially on the prom di prom when it can be a tad blowy.

In one go..what is the furthest distance in training thought to be advisiable. I fully appreciate there will be differences depending on abilities and recovery rate, also in my head it is more about time on feet...but a ball park figure is always useful to me as a newbie to this distance.

I've learnt a lot through supporting Ultras and competitors over the last few years but I am always looking to soak up any tips and advice.

WiB
09/10/2012 at 13:47

Dips - I think if you can manage a longest individual run of between 35 - 50 miles you will be fine. It depends how well you recover, if you take a full week or more off to recover from 50 miles then the benefits are not going to be as good as running a solid 35 miles and being able to maintain training following it.

Obviously that is my opinion and the use of back to back runs means less need for huge individual runs, however I do think they are good for the experience of the long days out.

WiB
09/10/2012 at 14:28

Hi WiB and thank you

That is pretty much what I tell my trainee marathon runners about the long run and recovery..not a lot of point killing yourself over one day with no consistancy.

10/10/2012 at 17:27

http://www.ldwa.org.uk/challenge_events/show_event.php?event_id=10346

This might be of interest to those local.

17/10/2012 at 14:19

Dips plenty of other races out there too - try one of mine next year

18/10/2012 at 13:09

Okay, I'm not ready for the 100, but now I'm no longer going to be running a certain race in London in April, I was thinking of running SDW on the 13th - should be good training along the way to Lakeland 50.

Queries: How well marked is SDW (e.g. compared to NDW)? Are there convenient rail stations to access SDW, or will I have to drive to places then run out-and-back, or ask my long-suffering husband to drop me off then pick me up 25+ trail miles further on some hours later?

18/10/2012 at 14:11

Okay, I've found the stations - looks like I could split it Worthing to Falmer one day and Falmer to Eastbourne another day.

15/11/2012 at 17:37

How's everyones training going, mines not, but plenty of time yet

15/11/2012 at 20:54
GF my training stopped Achilles problem wouldn't be worrying normally but I'm I the .tp100 n march does anyone have ideas how long paratenonitis takes to heal ? Haven't been able to run since beachyhead marathon 3 weeks ago. Looking forward to this again tho best race of this year for me
15/11/2012 at 21:22

I got myself a wee bit run-over on monday - got thrown over a car that failed to spot me crossing a roundabout - so that's kind of halted my training in its early stages. I was actually very lucky, as car and bike were pretty smashed. My left leg is pretty sore, so I guess I'll just have to wait to see what the damage is.

Long time to heal. Thames Trot in Feb, but I'm being positive.

15/11/2012 at 22:56

not good Tiago Wiggins - try to keep the bruising down, it will help speed up your recovery 

WiB
16/11/2012 at 07:41
Bad news thiago, fix fast mate! Plenty of time before this race
WiB
16/11/2012 at 08:52

Lingster, I have just recovered form a similar problem. For the 1st couple of months I did the "man thing" and ignored it assuming it'd be ok. Finally decided it wasn't going to be OK so went to a physio and 6 weeks later it's all good.

Tiago, Ouch.

Guess the real training starts from Jan, until then it just "preperation"

16/11/2012 at 11:05

Cheers guys. My compression tights are earning their price tag anyway. At least I'm on trend with the bike crash.

WiB
16/11/2012 at 21:59

You're in good company Tiago... get yourself fit for some recce running!

WiB
19/11/2012 at 12:33

Will do, cheers buddy.

TCP
15/12/2012 at 22:06

I'm doing SDW100 as my first 100 miler.  Did my first ultra this year (Malvern Hills Ultra 55 miles) and obviously found it tough but loved it.  I'm doing the London Ultra (50k) and the SDW50 as training.

My aim is to try and get off road most Sundays (I live in London) and find hills (probably around Box and Leigh Hill).  Build it up with three long weeks and then 1 shorter one.

I have lots of things to work out.  What shoes?  How to avoid/limit blisters?  What to eat?  Hand bottle or back pack bladder?  Water, Nuun or energy drink?  GPS?  How much recce to do?  Crew?  Pacers?  Etc. etc. etc.

WiB
15/12/2012 at 22:26
TCP -

shoes : at that time of the year trail or road shoes will be fine. Wear whatever is most comfortable for you.

Blisters : see above. Also look at methods of preparing the feet. Tape, bodyglude etc. Carry a small kit to treat blisters or put stuff in a drop bag.

Food : practice on long runs. Stick with what you have tested on race day. Gels, nuts, flapjack, jelly sweets, cheese, sandwiches are a variety of common foods.

Drink : water is by far the easiest. Nuun, elete and s caps are common electrolyte drinks. Nuun is flavoured, elete is a droplet add in and s caps are tablets you
take with water.

GPS/Recce : take a GPS if you know how to use one. If relying on it take spare batteries! Course is well marked, learning night sections will be very helpful.

Crew : will be nice to have but the aid stations are great so don't think it is necessary.

Pacer : if you have someone who is willing to pace you then great. Make sure they know what you expect and ensure they are carrying enough kit, food and headtorch for themselves as the last thing you will want is to be trying to sort them out when they should be helping you!
WiB
TCP
15/12/2012 at 23:02

Thanks a lot WiB.  Sounds simple

WiB
16/12/2012 at 00:05
TCP wrote (see)

Thanks a lot WiB.  Sounds simple

It's just running

WiB
21 to 40 of 337 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.