161 to 180 of 591 messages
05/09/2012 at 22:17

How do you make it round these ultras??

GKD
05/09/2012 at 22:53
My compass shows north too
GKD
05/09/2012 at 23:10
Lmao does your map say "here be dragons"?

I reckon we need a group run in the Peak District for all the southerners to brave heading past Watford (can I just point out I'm not a northerner either )
05/09/2012 at 23:14

And I AM a northerner (Mancunian) - I just happen to live in south east London / Kent!

05/09/2012 at 23:42
I feel very sorry for you Debra nah, seriously though, did you run before you moved? If so, do you miss it?
06/09/2012 at 07:41
Lirish wrote (see)
What? They are aren't they?

WiB wrote (see)

They are certainly north of where I am!

im afraid Rocker im with these 2 lads on this one!..they are oop Norf!!....like you say...anywhere North of Watford or MK is a foreign land.

although my geographical misdemeanours are causing you much mirth my fave directions so far have been at Northants ulrtra. the bit of paper had directions such as ....' turn left by the big clump of trees'.....' after the wooden gate turn right and up the hill'....'on the corner by the fish&chip shop'.....

06/09/2012 at 07:48
See, they're the best directions! No mucking around with grid references! If you can't spot a bloody great chip shop then you know you're in trouble!
06/09/2012 at 07:55

actually...it was quite hidden....

06/09/2012 at 08:26

Ermmmm.....

Biting my tongue....

Honest I am....

Could you not smell it?!?!?!

06/09/2012 at 08:49

ultrarocker: I didn't run back then (except for running the mile at school and training on a 1.5 mile hilly circuit near home). We lived on the edge of greenbelt and when I go back to visit my parents I really appreciate instant access to hills and being able to quickly be running on lanes/tracks alongside fields .

What I REALLY miss is being just 90 mins from the Lake District. From Manchester, you can get up early, drive up, have an eight-hour walk and drive home, if a day is all you've got.

Although speaking of geographically challenged, I know where Cheshire, Lancashire etc. are, of course, but I still have problems remembering whereabouts Surrey is versus Sussex - I've just about got it sorted because Croydon is sort-of in Surrey and my club is in the Surrey running leagues - so Sussex must be the one further west... Checks a map... Nope, it's further south; the one to the west is Hampshire. Oh well...

06/09/2012 at 09:02

Debra - yes, being 90mins from the Lakes would be heavenly! As would being about 30mins from the Peaks -  I don't think i'd ever have time to work....

I'm saying nothing about the southern counties... couldn't tell them apart at all

Has to be said though, I've never really fussed about down south, but running with Loula has shown me how beautiful Oxfordshire is, and then seeing the NDW was fantastic, so looking forward to the runs me and her have planned, and NDW50 2013 - i'm getting excited about that and it's 11 months away...

WiB
06/09/2012 at 10:41

Come and check out the South Downs and if you go mroe west some great coastal path Rocker...

WiB
06/09/2012 at 11:45

Having been born in North London, grown up in Surrey, travelled to most mountainous areas of Britain and now living in the NE of Scotland I can get most of the countries geography, but am useless on the whole Essex, Norfolk, Suffolk thing. I do now know where Lincoln is as hubby now works there but did need road atlas to work that out! Before that he was working in Manchester and Lancashire too. 

I do like my grid references, at least you know for sure which bit of the map you are meant to be on ... what if you got the wrong clump of trees, or wrong fish and chip shop!!

Dorset coastal path is fab ... in fact the whole of the west coast of britain is fab!!

06/09/2012 at 11:55

I'm actually a very good map reader...and will often use a road atlas rather than SatNav as I trust it more...

Essex, Norfolk & Suffolk is easy to me...but then I live on the bit where Norfolk, Cambridgeshire & Lincolnshire meet...

It's been a long while since I've been to Devon/Cornwall - i'd love to go back one day - so many places, so much running, so little time...

WiB
06/09/2012 at 13:40

My map reading is ok now. Although I so rarely practice it as if I go for a run somewhere new I just go running and figure it out as I go. You can't really get lost, the run just sometimes takes a little longer

WiB
06/09/2012 at 13:44

Yes, defo road atlas over sat nav for me too. Hubby keeps offering me his sat nav but having been stuck on the pereferique round Paris, lost cos the signal cuts out in tunnels ... much domestic shouting later ... atlas rules

WIB, many of my runs are like that, but believe me, it's very possible to get lost!!! Our local forest is fab for running, but hardly anyone goes there midweek and I have got very disorientated in there a couple of times and not seen a soul to ask, even when out on a four hour training run

06/09/2012 at 13:45

I'm never lost - just occasionally temporarily misplaced.....

WiB
06/09/2012 at 14:00

but you knew you were in the forest right cragchick?! so you can't be lost... in theory being on an island it is not possible for us to be lost as we can confirm our location to one lump of land

WiB
06/09/2012 at 15:03

getting lost is sometimes kind of nice....you see things you may not have otherwise...discover new routes....

06/09/2012 at 15:08

Exactly Lou, like WiB said, you're never REALLY lost... just sometimes not sure where you are, but you soon work it out...usually by finding somewhere else nice to run...

161 to 180 of 591 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.