Tapering trials

Advice needed on adapting tapering and training plans to deal with 'life'

2 messages
06/02/2013 at 11:25
Hi everyone. I'm running my first ultra - Cardiff - in May. I've diligently produced a training plan, which includes a 2 week taper. My problem is that my final week of big mileage (62 miles, including a back to back of 30 and 10) coincides with an overnight trip to Amsterdam (leaving early, arriving home late) and a close friends wedding at the other end of the country. I expect my 30 miles to take me around 6 hours, so it's not feasible to fit it in before the 1pm wedding! Any advice on how to adapt things (without taking time off a full time job) appreciated. I am provide more details on the shape of those few weeks if necessary. Thanks ultra runners!
06/02/2013 at 19:41

Sounds like you should recognise that your planned high load week is unfeasible given your other commitments. Probably not a good idea to try and lever it in anyway - the peak week scheduled against other high stress events is not desirable.

Suggest you just do the peak week 1 week earlier and lengthen your taper. Unless you are an elite athlete its probably going to make no difference and may even help.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
2 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.