Thames Path 100

100 mile point to point run from Richmond to Oxford

1,981 to 2,000 of 2,473 messages
24/02/2013 at 16:20
Cheers, food sounds good. I shall just carry gels and shot blocks I think.
Tigerspaw the pub it is! Although I may need some of those glasses with the fake eyes! My wife did ask about me getting a train to reading and collecting me there - I said its not guaranteed I'll be able to walk!
24/02/2013 at 18:16
I'm staying in oxford on the Sunday night. Thinking of taking a couple of pills, going out clubbing and dancing the night away. Anyone know of any good club nights on a Sunday in oxford. Trance or drum and bass would be preferable.
24/02/2013 at 19:40

LOL - I hear the continuing education section of Oxford Uni do a good party . Thats only cos I work for them sometimes .

25/02/2013 at 10:02
Cheers for the updates all. Fingers crossed for some more dry weather then. Hoping to wear road shoes for the whole race as my feet suffer if not in cushioned shoes.
25/02/2013 at 19:35

Hi all,

Looking at the forecast and also the direction the water is heading in this webcam, we should be alright on the day!

http://www.farsondigitalwatercams.com/gallery/Thames/Henley-on-Thames/

26/02/2013 at 11:30

Did my 45 at the weekend without any great dramas - fairly dry and it may have been even a couple of welcome miles short. Legs feel fine and Asics Gel Fuij ES trail shoes worked well, although some of the concrete farm tracks could have used a bit more cushioning. Good gear test though - windy, bitterly cold but happy with my 15+ yr old GoreTex bike jacket which has done Costa Rican jungles and Mount Kinabalu and is still going strong. That saves the astronomical price of some of the latest stuff....

Talked to a fellow runner briefly - Paul ? - who said sections of the TP100 were still quite badly flooded, so fingers crossed on that forecast !

26/02/2013 at 15:29

Well after writing my last post on Saturday i went upstairs and passed out appartently my wife said i was out cold for 10 mins on the floor face down. I woke to the ambulance crew taking my stats. Thankfully its just exhaustion and not anything else apparentley juggling, work, kids and running caught with me. So rest is what the doctor ordered hope everyone else training is going well. Is anyone else staying at the travelodge in twickenham  or surrounding hotels maybe we could all meet up for a meal on the Fiday night ?

26/02/2013 at 15:39

Nice one Kevin, a good confidence boost to get that done (although really you should have made up the couple of miles )
Blimey Lingster hope you're ok, good job we are just about into the taper. Did 20 this morning and off to do another 20 at midnight - my wife thinks I have finally cracked!
I'm in Richmond Park hotel, got a good deal and only a short stroll to the start.

26/02/2013 at 16:04

Good running Kevin - I too have a trusty old Gore Tex jacket, basically a lightweight hillwalking jacket, that I will be using on this. I recently washed and reproofed it, so hopefully no leaks!

Ouch Lingster  - definitely taper time! Eat and get well soon!

Good luck tonight Jeremy.

I will be staying over near Didcot - the family get a nice self catering cottage for the weekend near the Ridgeway, whilst I get an early morning train on Saturday . I think that is what's known as 'a compromise to keep the peace!' .

26/02/2013 at 16:07

Lingster hope you are ok!  Perfect time for a taper me thinks and to take comfort in all your training.

My 2 cents... and each to their own but I am of the opinion that no one need to run more than 30 miles in training for a 100 miler.

Longer races in the build up help for sure to get you used to how it feels to be sleep deprived and trashed but continued training at very high mileage just leads to injury and exhaustion from my experience.

To back this up a buddy of mine who is a sub 3hr marathon runner rocked up to the Lakeland 100 last year with minimal training and got around fine. His only ultra before that was a 40 miler LDWA event.

26/02/2013 at 18:16
Hope you are right Gav otherwise im stuffed! Having said that a sub 3 runner is probably a fair bit more talented/fitter than me, don't know about anyone else.
26/02/2013 at 18:30

Ya IMHO I think watching your weight and faster and shorter (25~ miles not 40+) training sessions are the way to go.

My buddy was training but basically trained for a marathon and ate well and was able to complete the 100 Lakeland with no issues which is much tougher than the TP100. 

I guess my point is, slogging your guts out doing 40+ mile training sessions imho won't make you anymore prepared for the TP100 than doing 20-30 mile sessions at a slighty faster pace. Though this could well be a personal thing not sure just an observation.

In fact I think you may actually be better prepared and less likely to get injured.

27/02/2013 at 11:54

Interesting discussion about length of runs. I did TP100 last year with longest run of 28 miles in the few months beforehand. Worked fine. However, the pyscological boost of knowing that 40 or so miles is comfortable (or at least doable) is worth a lot.

Feeling envious of you all doing it this year. I've got other stuff on, but really enjoyed it last year - just don't get lost in the dark at Shillingford

27/02/2013 at 13:49

The benefits of longer runs may well be largely psychological but I think Jeremy is verging on sandbagging.... You can't be very far from a 3hr marathon based on Comrades performance !

27/02/2013 at 14:57

Me sandbag? Last one I raced was Amsterdam 2011 ( Comrades qualifier) which was 3:15. Was thinking of trying another this year.
I have read the research from Centurion which is interesting regarding pacing etc in 100's. It would be quite interesting to see if there is any correlation between longest run and finishing time/position.

02/03/2013 at 09:58

At this time in three weeks we'll all be stood outside the town hall in Richmond

waiting for the hooter to blow.   I'm almost ready to go. Just  one or two small items to sort out , like getting myself a new map.   Don't think  i used one last year but  then  I was running with two friends and between us we knew the route.

Hope everyone's training has gone well. I'm going for my last long run this weekend along the Thames  between Wallingford and Oxford to test out all my kit

and see how the trail is fairing.  If the weather continues as it is we'll be fine on the day.

02/03/2013 at 22:25

I've just returned from a twelve mile run along the Thames path between Abingdon and Shillingford.  The flooding has receded and it is now all runable( although a bit mucky in places)  I haven't run under torchlight since last years race so it was odd at first

to get settled but once i got used to it , i felt great.  I feel so much more confident   now as i know my kit is up to the job.   Was really suprised when we got back to the car to find it was -3 degrees !   I was warm enough and i didn't even get round to putting my jacket on.

03/03/2013 at 15:41

Thats great news Ultra waccyracer - hopefully this dry weather will continue to dry out any residual flooding and we will get a really good run at it.

Feeling much stronger myself now I have cut back on the multiple lsr's - just doing single lsr's now at the weekends. I guess this is the whole point of the multiples - really feeling the benefit now I have reduced the overall mileage.

I have a Half next weekend out at Loch Katrine in the Trossachs - its on an access road that the waterboard use, closed to general traffic, so the road is pretty knobbly, potholed and hilly, but its in a lovely spot - will use it as a training run on the taper and look at the nice scenery rather than worry about a time.

Hope everyone is doing well, and enjoying the start of the taper now.

03/03/2013 at 18:12

Had a lovely run on the South downs today in the Steyning stinger. Shame about my performance. Legs felt dead. Can't work out what's going on.

Glad to hear most of you are doing well think i may just need some rest.

03/03/2013 at 19:58

It's the hills Dill. I remember when i did the stinger, I was dead by mile six.

1,981 to 2,000 of 2,473 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.