Thames Path 100

100 mile point to point run from Richmond to Oxford

2,041 to 2,060 of 2,429 messages
10/03/2013 at 18:36

Duct tape should be mandatory. Mine's packed.

GKD
10/03/2013 at 20:44
Dirty girl gaiters cover almost all the way to the bottom of the laces, is that what you mean?
GKD
10/03/2013 at 21:23

Just been catching up with the previous months post (good stuff) .................

For those who have not run/walked a 100 mile race your in for a treat. My overriding memory of last year having previously up to then only ran 52 miles was "bloody hell this is really a f******** long way !!"

Got to about 7 at night having just run for 9 hours and realised that I was looking at approx another 15 hours of running and lots of walking

All I can say is that it really is a roller coast of a ride and try to enjoy all of it for what it is !! Two mantras really helped me : keep putting one foot in front of the other and dont stop................

On the issue of kit follw the rule requirements to the full. I was running with a couple of people across fields into Pangborne who didn't have a working torch (in the dark ??) Others didn't have jackets let alone water proofs, madness. When the rain kicked in at 5 in the morning it was merciless..........The real kicker is when it started snowing That was interesting ..................

Anyhow goodluck everyone and enjoy! It really was magical last year and I can't wait for this again !!  

Dark Vader    pirate
11/03/2013 at 07:54
Lirish wrote (see)
Dirty girl gaiters cover almost all the way to the bottom of the laces, is that what you mean?

No..  I looked at those, but they are fabric and not waterproof...   they'll be fine for dry trails but no good for a long wet run..

I think gaiters of some kind (waterproof or not) should be mandatory kit.  I've seen runners feet totally mashed by sodden socks and mud, blisters caused by stones or thorns etc...  this can be avoided (or at least reduced) by a good gaiters over the ankle and where the foot goes into the shoe.

What I'm looking for is something to protect the upper part of the show.  My Hoka's have a fabric top..  that is great for breathing, but not really ideal for rain..

Edited: 11/03/2013 at 07:56
11/03/2013 at 08:04

"It was really magical last year and I can't wait for this again." You are right on that one  louismaxy,  it certainly was.

I remember saying "never again " at about 80 miles yet here I am counting down to the 23rd.  I was well prepared for the wet weather last year so i had none of the problems i have heard so much about. 

Im not so sure about the gaiters. I 've never had cause to use them in the past 

in fact i wouldn't know how to put a pair on.

11/03/2013 at 11:06

Hi all, in taper mode now too. Did the Grizzly yesterday as last long trainign run, and those conditions were tough (snow, wind, rain , sleet) and that was just for three hours! I'm starting the countdown now, nervous and excited...

Louismaxy, how u doing? hows the injury? will u be all set to go on the day...?

11/03/2013 at 11:32
Well that the training done (well as much as I could fit in). Just bought 30 odd gels for the race and booked a massage for this Saturday. Just got to sort out what kit to take in my mates car who is crewing for me might just take every item of running kit I own. Happy taper everyone look forward to putting some faces to names on the 23rd.
11/03/2013 at 13:27

Map is mandatory Kit! I ran it last year, so the map is in my mind, does that count?? Last couple of runs at the weekend with full mandatory kit (excluding Map!) and bloody hell, it's a lot of extra weight. On the plus side, I will put some of the kit I am carrying on at some stage so bag will be lighter later on in the race = good thing. Too late to get anywhere near the training I put in for last year, so will just have to wing it and rely on residual fitness from last year!!!

I hope everyone feels fit and strong on the start line on 23rd, and try and enjpy it if it's your 1st 100, and those who have done 100's before, you know what you are letting yourselves in for

11/03/2013 at 13:45

To  limit the weight of my bag i'm not going to carry loads of food like i did last year.

I'm just going to eat what is available at the aid stations plus i will carry a light-weight 10 pound note to buy myself something hot if need be. 

11/03/2013 at 15:06

Ordered the map from Amazon last night and had an email this morning to expect it on the 27th of this month WTF. Going to get in touch me thinks !!

SGB I've pretty much consigned myself to cycling 100+ miles each week with a sprinkling of running which feels really good (not run more than 10 miles in one go tho since??)

So apart from the map issue feeling nervous/excited/great/nervous etc etc you know what I mean

11/03/2013 at 15:13

Just ordered the map thro the centurion website. It's the only bit i didn't have. Prob never use it but it doesn't weigh much, so i'll sling it in the camelbak. Not worth not having it for the kit checks.

I'm sure you'll be fine, you know what to expect this time. You've got all those miles in the memory bank!!

11/03/2013 at 15:43

Yup, my nav is poss the worst, but can't imagine i'll ever use the map. On a similar subject and just out of interest has anyone got a GPX file of the TP100...? Might load it up on the Garmin if there is one knocking around...!?

11/03/2013 at 15:56

I'll keep my map with the route marked out in bright ink so one day in the future i can pin it up on the kitchen wall to show my grandchildren  when i tell them about the day i ran from london to Oxford.  Even though I don't think Ill have to take it out of it's cover.

11/03/2013 at 16:11

I love my maps ... last year I marked it up with checkpoint locations, distances, whether they had hot food or drop bags, and the cut off times for both 24hr and 30hr finishes. It was like a lovely security blanket during the night, very reassuring to know there was going to be a hot cup of tea just around the corner  - and when some folks were getting themselves in a confused fankle over missing cut-offs, I could say, No you havent, you have another 2hrs!!!

Agree the total kit is quite heavy, but last year I did end up wearing it all by the end (including the foil blanket) . Definitely will be taking more advantage of the drop bags this year and putting more of my scran in these rather than carrying so many gels etc. Also, I always seem to massively over-estimate the amount I will actually be able to eat, so will sticking to little and often this time.

Some guys took a detour into Reading last year for food - dunno if I could be assed adding on extra mileage though, rather use CP's. Don't recall seeing that many shops, other than in the first half (eg around Eton, Windsor area), by the night time everywhere was shut, apart from I remember a lovely inviting pub in Marlow that I was really really tempted to go into, but daren't as that would have been me for the night .

11/03/2013 at 16:17

LOL - no they use the GPS on their mobile phone.... then they get lost in the mountains .

11/03/2013 at 16:33

This is precisely what people thought last year, so didnt take any waterproofs or warm clothes....and then got hypothermia .

I'm used to 4 seasons in one day and I nearly bloody froze to death too!!

At the worst I could have stuffed the map down my jacket for extra insulation?

11/03/2013 at 16:45
Its the thought of having an hour added to my time im thinking about . . Pretty happy with the route and all . . . Maps paah haha
11/03/2013 at 17:33
Months of injury free training and guess what happened today, pulled my calf. Icing etc and definatly keeping my fingers crossed.
11/03/2013 at 18:00

On the verge of OCD but have logged all the bridges we have to cross and where, so should always be on the correct side of the river.................

Last year ran through Staines under the bridge and out to get 300M past the bridge to then look over the river at runners in the race D'oh Did that one a couple of times, running out of town and no one in front or behind me. 

Lesson learnt don't follow me !!

Gee Bee 2 goodluck and rest I did this a couple of weeks ago but feeling ok now

11/03/2013 at 19:57

David  Falconer, did i relly say that about real men and maps? Doesn't sound like the sort of thing i would say.

I don't know any real men i'm afraid. I just know a lot of looneys and nutcases

who are more mad than manly.   Sorry all you guys, no offence meant. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.