Thames Path 100

100 mile point to point run from Richmond to Oxford

2,101 to 2,120 of 2,473 messages
13/03/2013 at 09:33

Mev I would say that its worth the road shoes, not so sure about after Henley as not running that until Thursday night so will keep you posted. There's a fair amount of gravel and concrete tracks up to Reading but these do have a grassy path next to them for most of the way. Got a little boggy before Whitchurch but then its back on the pavement for a little bit then onto more hard paths. I'm going for road shoes all the way but will give my wife/crew my off roadies just in case. I'm putting the cusioning and support first, its such a long run and I think that running the parts that are on hard paths and pavement in off roadies would get hard to deal with after so many miles.

Mev
13/03/2013 at 10:18

Monkeybrain thank you, again. A mate has had to pull out through injury so is now crewing and pacing for me instead which is great (for me). I'll give the trailshoes to him to bring just in case and will aim to stick with roads. I've still got some plantar stuff going on so support and cushioning could be crucial when I'm trying to ignore excuses to stop.

Any more details on mud closer to the time would be great, thanks.

PS I'm now crewing and pacing for my friend whose swiitched to the SDW100 this year instead. This mad distance stuff draws you in doesn't it?

13/03/2013 at 10:56

I keep saying this is it for a while, a kind of mean it. I'll do a few marathons and maybe look to do another ultra in a year or two. Loving all the build up to it now though! Will post more about the course from Henley on Thursday/ Friday.

The SDW100 looks awesome, one day I'll do that but not this year!

13/03/2013 at 13:56

I'm doing exactly the same with footware... Road shoes the whole way, but will keep a pair of offroaders with my kit bag with my support just in case. Comfort first def.

13/03/2013 at 14:05

I can see I'm gonna be bucking the trend on the shoe front then . I'm going to be in trail shoes for the whole thing - but that is purely a personal choice. Road shoes all the way would simply cripple my feet, and the trail shoes are much more comfy for walking.

Inov8 Flyrocs with debris gaitors, the most comfy shoes I own, used them on this last year. Padded out with a very cushioned insole and a heel pad, which works well to take out some of the impact force on the harder sections of path.

Not long to go now folks !

13/03/2013 at 14:06

I think youre all mad.

13/03/2013 at 14:07

Yep - we are!

Mev
13/03/2013 at 14:45

That's me done then, thanks guys - roadies it is with trails backup at Henley.

I'm getting excited as well now. I just need to remember that this is twice as far as I've ever run before and not hare off and blow up down the road. I've been lucky enough to pace half and standard distance a few times (for a very fine running publication) and I really should know better but I know I'm going to find it so hard not to get caught up in the buzz of the start and go off way too fast. 

I agree the full SDW100 does look awesome - oh no, 1 becomes 2 becomes 3.......

13/03/2013 at 16:41
I'm worried about my shoe choice. Wearing pretty minimal trail shoes mainly cos the only road shoes I've got are vivo barefoots or Nike frees (that I've never really liked). I think by about mile 60 ill be envious of everybody's big cushioned road shoes.
13/03/2013 at 17:25

I'm happy with my road shoes but I've also run a hell of a lot of miles in them so am confident that they'll get me to the end. If you've trained in the shoes and are confident in them then you should stick to them. Horses for courses and all that.

13/03/2013 at 20:39

Df whatever image you want of me in your head is just fine. It is a pretty good likeness.

13/03/2013 at 21:21
Just picked up the compass and map that I had sent to our mums . . . It's all falling into place . . . Great and feeling a lot better about this after running 14 miles today after a dodgy calf strain . . . .
Good luck all
13/03/2013 at 21:34
*Dill* wrote (see)

Df whatever image you want of me in your head is just fine. It is a pretty good likeness.

I hope that is your photo .......... coolest guy ever, exactly sums up in my head what an ultra marathon runner looks like (I mean that in both a good and bad way lol)

15/03/2013 at 09:39

Ran the TP route from Henley to about 4 miles in, up to Shiplake college, and back last night. We couldn't find the cricket pavillion that houses the 51 mile check point but will go and have another look on Saturday. The path is pretty cool, a bit of trail but the mud isn't too bad and the rest is quiet roads and hard paths. Some massive houses down that way too. Reading Half this week end so no more running this week til then for me!

15/03/2013 at 09:40

Maybe I'll bump into you in Reading then Monkeybrain!

15/03/2013 at 11:05
It is a nice path that area, if I remember it is only the last 30 miles or so that is majority trail which of course is the night section.
Long range forecast doesn't look too bad apart from a bit cold, it's getting v close now.
15/03/2013 at 12:29

Good luck with Reading David, always an excellent race. Tempted to go for a pb but haven't run that far that fast in ages as been training for the TP100.

Cant wait until next weekend now!  After this weekend its all about the food for me. Massive loads of rice, potatoes and loads of veg. What's anyone got planned as their meal the night before the race?

15/03/2013 at 12:43

4 Cans of Scrumpy Jack .....................always a winner!!

15/03/2013 at 13:00

Looking forward to seeing you ALL  at Abingdon where we will attend to your every whim and want.

15/03/2013 at 14:03

Does anyone know where the cricket ground in Henley is in relation to the Thames Path? We drove down Remenham Lane last night and couldn't find it. The check point is meant to be in there.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.