Thames Path 100

100 mile point to point run from Richmond to Oxford

2,101 to 2,120 of 2,429 messages
15/03/2013 at 12:43

4 Cans of Scrumpy Jack .....................always a winner!!

15/03/2013 at 13:00

Looking forward to seeing you ALL  at Abingdon where we will attend to your every whim and want.

15/03/2013 at 14:03

Does anyone know where the cricket ground in Henley is in relation to the Thames Path? We drove down Remenham Lane last night and couldn't find it. The check point is meant to be in there.

15/03/2013 at 14:14

From the map it looks like you access the cricket club from Matson Drive, which is the next road along from Remenham lane, just past a pub called the Little Angel. It should all be well signed on the day though (unless someone nicks the signs).

Mev
15/03/2013 at 15:20

I couldn't find Remenham Road on any online maps either but the left turn is towards the cricket ground and the Little Angel pub on Remenham Lane. The pub's postcode is RG9 2LS which I've put in my phone gps just in case. I wish I hadn't looked at their website, it looks very inviting.

I hope I get to meet you at Abingdon Dips. If I make it please make me eat!

15/03/2013 at 15:23

Ahh! If thats the case then its not so bad, we drove down Remenham lane and it goes on for ages, we ended up turning around and parking in the Little Angel pub. If its the next road along then we missed that. Should really have looked at the map! Cheers TP.

15/03/2013 at 15:23

I'm volunteering at the finish from 7am on the Sunday, so I look forward to congratulating you all. Let me know if you have any individual needs and I'll see what I can do.

15/03/2013 at 15:39

Probably a piggy back by that stage TH2.

15/03/2013 at 19:01

Really looking forward to traveling up to London next week and settling down for the night in my  travel lodge double bed  for a good sleep. It would be a first if that happened ! I  usually always have a restless night before a big event

Hang on, there isn't a rugby match in Twickenham next weekend is there?   

Nothing can stop me now anyway , I'm raring to go.  ( still a little nervous though)

Thanks in advance to all the volunteers who are helping out over the weekend. last year when i reached Benson in the cold wet rain at 3 o'clock in the morning i felt so sorry for the guys stood there waiting for us !   

Dark Vader    pirate
15/03/2013 at 20:13

I bought one of the new Salomon jackets from the Centurion site.  Tested it in the rain today...  it is excellent..  I had my fleece underneath and if the weather is shite then it should be all nice and comfy...   however, if we get a warm day I think it wll be harder to regulate body temperature with all the extra layers...   they have to be tied around my waist...

15/03/2013 at 20:37

I'm not, I live in Teddington !

15/03/2013 at 21:29

All these years i've been doing the Oxford Town and Gown 10K 

and i've just found out that i could have caught the open top tourist bus which takes in all the same roads and more for half the price plus i can sit downstairs if it's raining

and i'm encouraged to use headphones !!

London - Brighton? Stratford to Birmingham ? no worries,

we can all just catch the bus in future, thanks david, glad to have you looking out for us.

16/03/2013 at 20:41
I'll be manning the Henley aid station next week, so I'll make sure there's plenty of signage, and some nice goodies when you arrive! Look forward to seeing you guys next week. Very best of luck.
17/03/2013 at 11:02

Nice one David. Look forward to seeing you as well.

This morning when the snow was  coming down in blanket form

I put on all my gear and   took a gentle jog  up to Sandford and along the river to the finish .  I timed it just right as i reached the college sports ground  just before  nine

which is the time i hope to be there next week.  Managed to stay dry and warm with maybe one too many layers.  Found that my hat and gloves were not really up to the job. Changed my mind about Gaiters. It didn't take long before the snow/slush  soaked through my trainers. Still got a lot to learn about this ultra lark.

Feeling quite confident  now .  Hope everyone else is too.

17/03/2013 at 12:05

Hi all,

Here's a dilemma...

My garmin's battery only lasts about 11 hours, so I'm thinking I will either start with it in Richmond, or pick it up at halfway at Henley.

Given that I like to monitor my speed/average speed/distance, would you wear it for the first 50 miles, or the second 50 miles??!!

The alternative is that I leave it at home and wear my other watch...!

Interested in your views.

Edited: 17/03/2013 at 12:06
17/03/2013 at 12:33

Snow??? Can we please stop that! Hadn't thought about gaiters but I guess unless your shoes are waterproof they still won't keep your feet dry?
This time next week it should be all over I hope.
As for garmin Steve I have the same problem, haven't decided yet. Would be useful to have the first bit to stop me going too fast and also for last bit to stop me going too slow! Was considering stopping gps tracking the middle part and just go by time. This will hopefully conserve enough battery for the last part.
Looks like I'll make it back from offshore on time, confidence is decreasing the closer it is but that is normal pre race nerves.

17/03/2013 at 12:58
This year I've bought a USB charger from amazon charges your Garmin on the hoofwill also charge my phone . . . Not at the same time tho
17/03/2013 at 14:01

yes it's snow all right. 

Don't worry about it though as it is melting quite quickly  and it's best we get it out the way now so we can have sunshine next week. That is the way i see it.

I f the only problems you have are garmin related then you must be laughing.

When i first started ultra running i searched everywhere for trainers that were "classed" as waterproof then i wore them for a race where within a mile we had to run through water that was up to our ankles. Ha ha silly me. so much for waterproof trainers! I just take extra socks to change into now.

Dark Vader    pirate
17/03/2013 at 14:12

I'll be using gaiters.  Its not so much about waterproofing (and I don't think I found any for runners that are actually waterproof) but its more about trying to stop mud, crud, stones and leaves/thorns getting into the shoe.  

I'll be taking some spare DryMax socks with me although they do dry incredibly quickly anyway.

17/03/2013 at 14:50

I probably will do this event again, but it was a bit too close to Viking Way this year.  The night section has an almost hypnotic quality to it.  In the absence of ambient noise you can hear a lot of wildlife activity such as the cries of water birds, and the sound of otters plunging about. 

You definitely need to treat the conditions and the kit list with respect in this event.  I tried to make do with a windproof but not fully waterproof jacked last year to save weight, and ended up being checked over by the paramedics at the finish line.  Life is much easier if you learn from my mistakes, rather than making the same ones yourself. 

I see this event as becoming the British Rocky Racoon in a few years time.  It will be the standard British 100 mile trail race used to set records and personal bests.  I also expect to see it attract an increasing number of overseas runners. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.