Thames Path 100

100 mile point to point run from Richmond to Oxford

2,281 to 2,300 of 2,429 messages
24/03/2013 at 18:35
Well done Gav, should count as a sub 24 100 miles I think!
24/03/2013 at 19:24

That was an amaxing experience! My first 100 miler, (clocked 106 due to getting a little lost). Finished in 22hrs 18mins. The support in all of the checkpoints was brilliant, you are all awesome people. My pacers were immense and my wife/crew worked throughout the night with unbelievable support. The race was really well organised given the rerouting issues and it was amazing to finish. The cameraderie between all of runners was so cool. Well done to anyone who had the courage to toe the line and congrats to everyone who finished. My legs and feet are swollen up like a pregnant lady and I can't walk but I wouldn't have it any other way.

24/03/2013 at 19:41

Congratulations to everybody in this event. 

I can appreciate that it must have been a very stiff psychological test in those conditions. 

Next weekend it is your turn to feel sorry for me when I do Viking Way, in what I hope will be better conditions. 

24/03/2013 at 21:56
Jeremy - I dropped too. Similar issues. I succumbed to either logic or defeatism but I was probably right. I reached a point where my current pace wasn't going to make the cut, even though I was well ahead of it at that point. Being cut hours later when you think you know it then is a real mental test, and I failed.

Mud was awful. Road shoes bad. But trail shoes would have been far from perfect too. I fell and banged my hip - not bad but the tight hip and quad later were on that side. So maybe. Anyway, massive respect to those who finished and to all the volunteers. Happy to concede the failures were mine and no one can control the weather. Would I do it again ? Hmmmm....
24/03/2013 at 22:02

well done all! I have been trying to follow it as closely as the results updates would allow. after last year, I thought it couldn't be as bad as that - the conditions got critical...but these poor organsiers seem to have had their work cut out yet again! Hats off to all who managed to finish.

Finishng last year holds so many memories for me - I felt quite envious in a strange kind of way!!

24/03/2013 at 22:04

Ben, you finished just in front of me last year with another guy whose name began with a D. Dale?

24/03/2013 at 22:14
Think lots of people fell Kevin. I changed to trail shoes first time through Windsor and they were better until a momentary lapse of concentration/bad luck. I'd definitely go back a 100 is still an itch to scratch. You have Comrades to consider so hope the rest and recovery goes ok for that.
Now have to think about an early summer race...
24/03/2013 at 22:18

purplepig

I think you might find that particular gentleman on this page!

24/03/2013 at 23:26

Congratulations to those who finished; commiserations to those messed up by the weather etc.

25/03/2013 at 07:16

Well done everyone who finished and hard luck to those who didn't but i can understand why. I know what you mean veggie there were a couple of places where we had to go right next to the river and i was really worried about falling in.

Just lanced massive blister and shin feels like its been smashed with a hammer. So glad i've got the day off.

Good luck next weekend Ben that will be a massive achievment to get that under your belt. 147 miles is not to be sniffed at.

Edited: 25/03/2013 at 07:16
25/03/2013 at 07:30

lol...was that you Dill, that fiished with Ben last year?

Yep, good luck for Viking Ben

25/03/2013 at 08:04

Yep PP that was me

25/03/2013 at 08:28

Hey everyone, well, that was an experience for my first 100. Got around in 27:30 which I'm realy pleased with. The last 10 miles seemed to go on for ever and took an age.

Congrats to all the finishers, it was tough going out there. 

25/03/2013 at 08:44

Well done Stefkirl. It's an amazing feeling isn't it?!! 

25/03/2013 at 08:45

Morning what to say except this years TP was a continuation from last years TP. Went into this race with the goal of breaking sub 24, very doable in conditions from the Saturday of last year. This year was at times and for long stetches a mud bath.

Up until Cookham my plan was going well tho revised finish at all cost!! Run 25 walk 5 and try to average around the 12 min mark. I have been training to keep this up throughout the race. I had figured this one (finish at all costs) out pretty quickly when I saw horizontal snow at 7 in the morning whilst eating my breakfast at the Premier Inn. Sub 24 would of been a bonus.

Well left Cookham got into Maidenhead and turned on my head torch, crossed the bridge and made a couple of phone calls, this was during my 5 min walking break. All good so far. Then at mile 43 whilst trying to skip around another puddle I lost my footing and unintentionally decided to try and throw myself into the river. That one was to close and literally threw me. I can now totally agree about this 90% in the head stuff, physically I was tired but ok, mentally I was shoot.

From then on in around Dorney Lake as for everyone all I did was skid, slip and shuffle where I could. This broke me after last years last 13 miles. I just couldn't face another 50 miles of that.

So the end product is my first DNF, but I can take a whole load of positives from this experience, my equipment was spot on felt like toast, minor blisters but ok, 25 5 really does work for me over the longer distances. My body is physically stronger. Remember my first 50 in 2011 and not being able to move bar hobble for the next week. Going for a 6 mile slowish jog later today!! 

Want to thank the organisers and marshall the very best for giving us the opportunity of running 100 plus miles, the weather is what it is. To all the people who set out DNF ed well done. To the runners who got to the end of this race you are worthy centurions.....................Excellent (next year going to look at doing a summer away from the river 100 miler)

25/03/2013 at 09:15

I have to add my name to the list of non-finishers.  Thought i'd be more annoyed

at myself  for stopping but i had no choice. The stretch between Cookham and Windsor was  what did me in. Kept slipping all over the place .

This time the course got the better of me, no excuses. Huge congratuations to all who stayed on their feet and kept going through the night. You have certainly earned your medals/belts.  

Well done to James and all the Centurion crew for another well organised events. They did a great job under difficult conditions. 

25/03/2013 at 09:15

Gad the race went ahead, big up to Centurionrunning.  A lot of races postponed.

Well done everyone, hard core.

25/03/2013 at 09:58

You are all amazing - well done to everyone this weekend.

Good luck next wkend Ben. Hope the snow has melted.

25/03/2013 at 12:09

Well done all who took on this slippy muddy beast!! I'm chuffed to bits, everything went great on the day. Kit was perfect, wore shorts the whole route, as i never stopped moving long enough to feel the cold. Felt good up til 70m, then got tough physically and mentally. Feet are mashed now and have some bad blisters but it was worth it.

Finished in 22:34, and am well pround of my buckle and my first 100m finish!

Michelle & Nick, if you ever read this, you were the best company and running partners i could have wished for, we never went dark!!

Gutted for all of the non finishers, but the mud was just unbearable in places. So frustrating! Well done to anyone who even started the race. The big names that dropped shows a lot...

Louismaxy, you seemed to be going so well when i saw you going towards cookham... how are you today?

(ps. Daz that Green man did me good!)

25/03/2013 at 12:32
Great news Keith well chuffed for you . . . You really looked strong and positive. I thrive on that stuff and kept my spirits up all the way back to Brunel's pioneering railway bridge. Like I I wrote earlier I tried to throw myself into the river shortly after that. Totally blew my brains coupled with the prolonged mud I just couldn't face
any more.

Any how feeling really positive about the the whole trip and thinking about the next 100 miler ha ha

MAGIC and a massive well done !!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.