Thames Path 100

100 mile point to point run from Richmond to Oxford

2,301 to 2,320 of 2,473 messages
GKD
24/03/2013 at 13:46
Yes mate that was me, bloody well done on that time, sub 24 in those conditions is really something to be proud of
GKD
24/03/2013 at 13:51
Lingster: superb, huge thumbs up!

Now go get food and sleep.
24/03/2013 at 13:53
Looks like the live bit of the website is working again!
24/03/2013 at 15:44

Well done Lingster, great time .

I'm down as having gone through the 11m CP in 1hr 48, which is interesting as I wasnt even there  - someone must have mis-read a number . I'll email them once its all over, if I'm still on there later.

Given the number of drops at 76m that must have been in horrific weather in the early hours of the morning.

24/03/2013 at 17:26

Oh dear what a struggle that was! My feet are totally mashed and I am knackered.

Not going to lie i was hairs bredth from pulling out at 50 just could not see the point of running that extremely muddy course and then doing it again. I had been running with a guy called Dave for a while but moved off on my own because the negative thoughts had set in and i didn't want to ruin his race. Walked into the 48 mile checkpoint and said i was going to drop and the lovely lady said "no your not get back out there" so i did as she was having none of it.

The course was a mess the mud was unforgiving we must have slid around at least 30+ miles of it with no traction at all. Kinda glad the river was up or the second 50 to Oxford would have been horrid. 

Nice to meet Alan at last (one of last years slammers) in fact we were all at check in Me, Andy, Alan and Ken. Missed photo opportunity me thinks. Lirish was on check in. I in fact watched him tell the guy in front that his kit wasn't adequate. Poor man was speechless funny all the same.

I have come to conclusion that whatever i do the first 20 miles are gunna hurt and i'm gunna have a bad patch around 18/20 miles you can set your watch by it. After that point felt very good energy wise pretty much right to the end. What didn't play ball was my body. Got what a thought was shin splints around 30 mile and that hurt for the whole of the rest of the race. Now i seem to have a swollen shin and a bruise right on the front. Hmm nothing sinister i hope. The main bug bear was my feet! Tried new cream today and i didn't work so i have got massive blisters on the soles of my feet again. From mile 80 to 102 i pretty much shuffled and limped in. 17 hrs 10 after 80 mile and finished in 23 hrs 10 massive fall from grace. So anyone who saw a man doing a really weird limpy run at the end that was me. I came as close to tears thru pain as i think i ever have.

Anyway fair play to James for getting it on and the guys going out for the last 20 as i rocked up at the finish you are all legends.

Lessons learnt today. Hagloffs make the greatest coats, Hokas have thier limitations especially in slippy mud, Body glide liquified powder does not stop feet maserating, You should never ever use sterilizing solution in all the water at every aid station it was disgusting almost to the point of vomiting, GU gels are fantastic,Pasta and tomato soup actually go together, The guy who was rude to my wife just because she asked about crew access is a twat, I will be buying some dry max socks and i really don't like laps or repetative routes.

Thanks to my crew/wife you are fantastic. Li if you ever need a crew or pacer give me a shout you must be fed up with serving me at centurion events i feel i owe you one.

24/03/2013 at 17:49
Well first DNF for me. Went through Windsor second time in 26th running well and picking up places. Somehow went wrong on the way to next check point and ended up heading back to Windsor. Got going again grumbling to myself, slipped and left leg went sideways. Walked to checkpoint in the hope it would numb up but still couldn't run on it. Was tough to decide but I'd rather a couple of weeks off than months so sadly I bailed. Anyone who did finish did amazing, tough going out there. Very impressed with the marshalling and volunteers, thanks so much. I will be back for another go.
24/03/2013 at 18:01

Jeremy

I bailed at Wraisbury in exactly the same circumstances. I was about 1ft away from going in the river when I fell

24/03/2013 at 18:10
Finished in 24:30 awesome run.

Next time I will push a bit harder I think so I get that sub 24. Though my garmins clocked a total of 105 miles and I didn't get lost once!

Cream crackered now

Well done all. Tough conditions out there yesterday

Gav
24/03/2013 at 18:35
veggieboy that was what worried me as even walking after I was all over the place and the possibility of going in was too big a risk. Bet that got your heart rate up though!
24/03/2013 at 18:35
Well done Gav, should count as a sub 24 100 miles I think!
24/03/2013 at 19:24

That was an amaxing experience! My first 100 miler, (clocked 106 due to getting a little lost). Finished in 22hrs 18mins. The support in all of the checkpoints was brilliant, you are all awesome people. My pacers were immense and my wife/crew worked throughout the night with unbelievable support. The race was really well organised given the rerouting issues and it was amazing to finish. The cameraderie between all of runners was so cool. Well done to anyone who had the courage to toe the line and congrats to everyone who finished. My legs and feet are swollen up like a pregnant lady and I can't walk but I wouldn't have it any other way.

24/03/2013 at 19:41

Congratulations to everybody in this event. 

I can appreciate that it must have been a very stiff psychological test in those conditions. 

Next weekend it is your turn to feel sorry for me when I do Viking Way, in what I hope will be better conditions. 

24/03/2013 at 21:56
Jeremy - I dropped too. Similar issues. I succumbed to either logic or defeatism but I was probably right. I reached a point where my current pace wasn't going to make the cut, even though I was well ahead of it at that point. Being cut hours later when you think you know it then is a real mental test, and I failed.

Mud was awful. Road shoes bad. But trail shoes would have been far from perfect too. I fell and banged my hip - not bad but the tight hip and quad later were on that side. So maybe. Anyway, massive respect to those who finished and to all the volunteers. Happy to concede the failures were mine and no one can control the weather. Would I do it again ? Hmmmm....
24/03/2013 at 22:02

well done all! I have been trying to follow it as closely as the results updates would allow. after last year, I thought it couldn't be as bad as that - the conditions got critical...but these poor organsiers seem to have had their work cut out yet again! Hats off to all who managed to finish.

Finishng last year holds so many memories for me - I felt quite envious in a strange kind of way!!

24/03/2013 at 22:04

Ben, you finished just in front of me last year with another guy whose name began with a D. Dale?

24/03/2013 at 22:14
Think lots of people fell Kevin. I changed to trail shoes first time through Windsor and they were better until a momentary lapse of concentration/bad luck. I'd definitely go back a 100 is still an itch to scratch. You have Comrades to consider so hope the rest and recovery goes ok for that.
Now have to think about an early summer race...
24/03/2013 at 22:18

purplepig

I think you might find that particular gentleman on this page!

24/03/2013 at 23:26

Congratulations to those who finished; commiserations to those messed up by the weather etc.

25/03/2013 at 07:16

Well done everyone who finished and hard luck to those who didn't but i can understand why. I know what you mean veggie there were a couple of places where we had to go right next to the river and i was really worried about falling in.

Just lanced massive blister and shin feels like its been smashed with a hammer. So glad i've got the day off.

Good luck next weekend Ben that will be a massive achievment to get that under your belt. 147 miles is not to be sniffed at.

Edited: 25/03/2013 at 07:16
25/03/2013 at 07:30

lol...was that you Dill, that fiished with Ben last year?

Yep, good luck for Viking Ben

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.